Author Topic: Hanging it up  (Read 5601 times)

Offline booger

Hanging it up
« on: May 09, 2013, 08:27:50 PM »
Just got out of the hospital after a bout of congestive heart failure.  Came close to not making it through this go a round. The old body just isn't holding up and I am not too sure what to do about it.

Nevertheless, my cardiologist thinks I am crazy for riding.  In the physical condition I have been in the past 6 months, I gotta agree.  The ol C-14 has gotten a little too big for me to wrestle.

Will follow up with an add in the for sale section a soon as I take some pics.

Brown

Offline Gsun

Re: Hanging it up
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 08:30:03 PM »
Bummer, Booger. Sorry to hear. Going to get a small bike?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 09:40:52 PM »
I wish you all the best BG!  :chugbeer:

Offline booger

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 02:55:16 AM »
Bummer, Booger. Sorry to hear. Going to get a small bike?

Gsun,  I think things would have to improve considerably to be able to ride.  I was thinking Ural, but I don't know if I have the strength  to get it around.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 03:49:52 AM »
Good luck, B

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 04:44:09 AM »
That really stinks. I've got a nephew about 30 or so that wears a defibrillator because his heart stopped last year and he had to sell his GS.  We're all going to get there eventually, but that doesn't make it any easier to accept.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 05:11:14 AM »
Sorry to hear this Booger, glad that you made it though. Good luck. What about a Spyder?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 05:23:21 AM »
A Spyder is a lot of work. Can't relax except on flat smooth roads.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 05:29:29 AM »
I've never rode a Spyder but I would buy one of those before I bought a trike, but that's me.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 05:33:01 AM »
They're a lot of fun. I would have kept it if I didn't have to choose between it and a bike.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 07:05:31 AM »
I went through that myself 3 years ago. I have two stents now. With a change in diet (keep close tabs on your sodium intake) and exercise, you can feel pretty normal with a little time. Right now I can do most anything I could before. I ride nearly every day too. I hope you have a quick recovery. Get out and start walking. Every day that weather agrees, I go out of the office at 10:00 every morning and walk one mile. At home on the weekends, I take the dog and we do two miles.  Just start slowly and gradually build up. My cardio doctor is very happy with my progress. Having gone through what you just went through, I hope you all the best and I'll be cheering for you.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:42:36 PM by Jim M. »

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 08:44:28 AM »
 :censored: the Cardiologist!!  Life is about living, not dying.  Go ahead, sit on the plastic wrapped, sterilized couch and wait paitiently to die..  Or grab life by the horns and go out with a smile on your face.  Everyone ends up at the sameplace, the only thing differant is the journey taken to get there..., no one lives forever.

Not saying keep the bigger bike, but if you still love riding get something smaller, maybe even as small as a TW200, or maybe an XT250, do some gravel roads, smell the fresh air, see some natural sights.  Go out and LIVE :)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 08:51:38 AM »
I have to agree with everyone that suggests a smaller more nimble bike.  For now I'm still ok handling my big behemoth C14 but unless I'm on a trip or such I still ride smaller more nimble bikes for more reasons than I can list.

In addition to what Cactus posted as you may know there are a host of naked, featherweight bikes that are very upright and loads easier and more fun to ride such as Yamaha FZ6, Triumph Speed Triple, Aprilia Tuano........   let me stop there or else I may have to spend money =)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 09:07:33 AM »
:censored: the Cardiologist!!  Life is about living, not dying.  Go ahead, sit on the plastic wrapped, sterilized couch and wait paitiently to die..  Or grab life by the horns and go out with a smile on your face.  Everyone ends up at the sameplace, the only thing differant is the journey taken to get there..., no one lives forever.

Not saying keep the bigger bike, but if you still love riding get something smaller, maybe even as small as a TW200, or maybe an XT250, do some gravel roads, smell the fresh air, see some natural sights.  Go out and LIVE :)

Just be sure to stay away from those French vultures!    :o

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13707.0;topicseen

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 09:33:35 AM »
Just be sure to stay away from those French vultures!    :o

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13707.0;topicseen
Beats the heck outa feeding worms :o

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 12:57:20 PM »
I've never rode a Spyder but I would buy one of those before I bought a trike, but that's me.

Not me.  I'd get a convertible.  Trikes are just Big Wheels for adults.  And I can't take those Can Am things seriously.  I always want to laugh...

Nelson
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline booger

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 04:19:23 PM »
Sorry to hear this Booger, glad that you made it though. Good luck. What about a Spyder?
Looked at them this afternoon.  Doggone, the one I wanted was $31,650.  Didn't realize they were that expensive.  Drove one of the smaller ones.  I think I have lost too much muscle mass and heart function to fee comfortable with it.

Offline booger

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 04:20:38 PM »
Not me.  I'd get a convertible.  Trikes are just Big Wheels for adults.  And I can't take those Can Am things seriously.  I always want to laugh...

Nelson

Well, I have a 2012 Mustang convertible.  Pretty poor substitute for a motorcycle or trike.

Offline booger

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 04:24:35 PM »
I went through that myself 3 years ago. I have two stents now. With a change in diet (keep close tabs on your sodium intake) and exercise, you can feel pretty normal with a little time. Right now I can do most anything I could before. I ride nearly every day too. I hope you have a quick recovery. Get out and start walking. Every day that weather agrees, I go out of the office at 10:00 every morning and walk one mile. At home on the weekends, I take the dog and we do two miles.  Just start slowly and gradually build up. My cardio doctor is very happy with my progress. Having gone through what you just went through, I hope you all the best and I'll be cheering for you.

Jim M., thanks for the encouragement.  I had a CABG 3X 5 years ago and went from a Hayabusa to more sedate bikes.  I am hoping in time I can get back in half ass physical shape.  I'm on my 27 motorcycle, and I really hate to think there won't be a 28th.  But right now, I don't think I could handle a moped.

I have finally discovered your body can't handle 20,000 mg of sodium a day. ;)

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 07:15:41 PM »
I have to agree with everyone that suggests a smaller more nimble bike.  For now I'm still ok handling my big behemoth C14 but unless I'm on a trip or such I still ride smaller more nimble bikes for more reasons than I can list.

In addition to what Cactus posted as you may know there are a host of naked, featherweight bikes that are very upright and loads easier and more fun to ride such as Yamaha FZ6, Triumph Speed Triple, Aprilia Tuano........   let me stop there or else I may have to spend money =)

I'd really like to see a ride test on the new Honda 500s compared to a Ninja 300