Poll

Will brians C14 make it across the country in 50 hours?

Yes, but it will take multible riders to get the C14 there!
3 (7%)
Yes, but he is flying the C14 out on a plane!
0 (0%)
Yes, by the skin of his teeth and if he doesn't kill another Zumo!
20 (46.5%)
No, he'll stop for gas and KIPASS will now bite him!
3 (7%)
No, he didn't prepair both himself and/or his C14, well enough for it!
1 (2.3%)
No, he will get lost!
2 (4.7%)
No, he'll have a bunch more warranty claims on the C14 preventing him from making it!
1 (2.3%)
No, he's just a pu$$y and won't make it!
13 (30.2%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: June 08, 2011, 11:50:02 AM

Author Topic: Will brian's C14 make it across the country in 50 hours?  (Read 13667 times)

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Re: Will brian's C14 make it across the country in 50 hours?
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 01:07:20 AM »
I-90?  Boring!

You must be on the clock with this run.  There are so many fantastic roads from central Montana to the coast, and how many chances do you get to ride them?  Seriously, check Highway 12 (via 93 from Missoula Mt.) into Washington State.  99 miles of twisties, but new, wide pavement, and all over 35MPH (mostly 45MPH sweepers)!  It would probably only add a couple of hours to the ride, but well worth it.

I heard it was snowing from central Wyoming up into Montana as late as yesterday, but they are forecasting in the 80F range by next week over there.  You should be good to go through that section.

I'm also down in Portland (with ZG and a few others), so definitely let us know when you make it east of the Rockies.  You might want to alter your return trip to catch some great roads just a little further south on your way back (i.e. Columbia River Gorge).  I'm sure we can find some 'tour guides' around here (actually any excuse to ride will do).  The ride up to Mt. St Helens Johnston Ridge Observatory is great (just did that one 2 weeks ago).  The road around Mt Rainier should be clear too, and it was fresh pavement last fall.

Just something to think about while you're droning away on the super slab.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 07:16:05 AM »
I won't vote on this one..not satisfied with the right choices.

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 07:28:26 AM »
I won't vote on this one..not satisfied with the right choices.

Ninja

I agree Ninja,
  None of the responses have "99% sure he will make it"  :) 
Good luck Brian, keep our contact info handy.

Mick
'84 R100RS Pearl White Last Edition
'93 K1100LT Astral Blue Metallic
'96 R1100RT Sine Blue  Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
'10 C14 Candy Neptune Blue         Born OK the First Time

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2011, 08:09:13 AM »
Thanks Mick.

Contact info. ?? Do you mean from the COG handbook?

Brian

I agree Ninja,
  None of the responses have "99% sure he will make it"  :) 
Good luck Brian, keep our contact info handy.

Mick
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2011, 08:19:17 AM »
Any estimate on your time frame travelling through the Toledo Ohio area? 
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 08:22:47 AM »
No, not really. I don't even know exactly when I am going to start so predicting particular times and where I will be is about impossible. But you and anyone else can see where I am pretty close to real time by taking a look at my SPOT map; I will publish the address tomorrow. It will update every 10 minutes usually (it misses here and there) and show were I was at a specific time, and the most recent update is usually well under a minute so the SPOT's location is known to well under a mile.

Brian

Any estimate on your time frame travelling through the Toledo Ohio area?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 08:26:24 AM »
 Have you planned you gas stops yet, or are you just stopping when you need to?  You posted you've done IB rides before & I know a LOT of the IB group likes to plan things to the nth degree....
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
No, no plans for fuel stops. I find it is a 'crap shoot' anyway because if you deviate even one time, the whole rest of the chain of stops is shot. Besides, it is a lot of effort to find out what stations are open at what times and even then something like a power failure at a fuel stop will shoot that in the foot too.

I plan on using most of the tank, even into reserve. I will be carrying a few gallons of extra fuel with me to ease the worry about running out of fuel. The fuel will be external and I will have to stop to transfer it so the plan is to not actually use that fuel, just have it as a crutch and emergency fuel supply. Also, I am required to stop for fuel every 300 miles anyway so a gigantic fuel supply is not really useful other than for confidence.

My plan is to stay on major interstates all the way so I am expecting (hoping?) to find fuel available and cell phone coverage most if not all the way. We will see. I have never driven west of Chicago and being a New Englander, the 'wild' west looks pretty desolate to me. I have been assured by locals that there will be fuel and food along the way.

Brian

Have you planned you gas stops yet, or are you just stopping when you need to?  You posted you've done IB rides before & I know a LOT of the IB group likes to plan things to the nth degree....

Bob

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 09:50:32 AM »
Hey, let me know when you go. Maybe we can have lunch!   :yikes:

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 10:19:15 AM »
Ride safe!

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2011, 10:34:09 AM »
Good luck on your epic ride Brian!

Offline Restless

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2011, 11:38:14 AM »
In all seriousness, Brian, I hope you get there without any issues at all.  Good luck and stay safe.  We're pulling for you!   :thumbs:

+ a million on what Jim said!  I have all the faith in you Brian, plus you're riding the best sport tourer on the planet!  "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity".  Have fun and stay safe brother!
2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2011, 12:57:25 PM »
I wish you the best of luck, a ride I wish to do one day as well.  The B2B run will probably get done before hand, logistics are easier for this one.

Stay safe... hydrated... post up your results, and you must post your cert when you get it.  :thumbs:
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 01:03:09 PM »
His Connie will have no problem......................GO BRIAN!!!!!!! :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline justbob

• crashin' sucks
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2011, 01:27:12 PM »
Good luck with your 50CC.
I did the 100CCC a few years back and had a good time doing it with 2 friends.
2010 C-14
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2011, 01:27:25 PM »
And I have to mention here that the really funny part of this 'poll' is that I try not if it is at all possible to avoid it... and there are zero votes for the 'fly out' option.

Brian

Bob

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2011, 03:53:38 PM »
I was going to put the option in of "No, it's all just a hoax like the cruise control, and he's not really going". But I figured that could be the next thread!  :D  I guess I can't use it now!   :P

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2011, 08:33:15 PM »
Select a country that is smaller than USA (also do not include the 49 and 50th states as part of the country)  8)

Best of luck and be safe
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline Stavee

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 12:36:05 PM »
Looks Like he did it with minutes to spare. Hard to tell with the spot log. Here he is yesterday afternoon just after entering Wyoming.
First bike '38 DKW

Bob

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 12:38:27 PM »
Yeah, that is Brian's bike with a person wearing his riding gear. But was it really Brian at the time?  ::)   

Only kidding!