Author Topic: Bridgestone BT45 tires apparently not for use in the cold  (Read 3941 times)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Bridgestone BT45 tires apparently not for use in the cold
« on: April 26, 2013, 04:54:58 AM »
You may want to avoid Bridgestone BT45 tires if you live where they could be exposed(including storage) in below freezing temperatures. According to Bridgestone, these tires are not designed, nor warrantied for use in freezing weather.

link to thread at KLR.net:

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110552

It sounds like Bridgestone has that wonderful Firestone customer service thing going on also.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Bridgestone BT45 tires apparently not for use in the cold
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 06:26:04 AM »
Wow!  I'd suggest sending that pic to Michelin so they can get a good laugh, but they probably already know  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline MetrickMetal

• MetrickMetal Custom Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 08:42:45 AM »
Thats crazy, and it looks like the rubber actually fractured after being frozen.  :o
www.MetrickMetal.com custom motorcycle parts
Custom naked 07 Suzuki Bandit GSF1250S/AK7
In the process of resurrecting an 02 C10

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 01:52:21 PM »
Wow!  I'd suggest sending that pic to Michelin so they can get a good laugh, but they probably already know  :D
I had a Michelin Commander II on the back of  my C-10. It had a tendency to slip out on corners on wet roads. Michelin refunded the full price of the tire and it had over 2k miles on it.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline CoffeeRider

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 02:40:13 PM »
 :o That sux! I will just stay with my Avons. Have not had a problem with them in the 7 years I've ridden my Conk!
2002 Concours (It's not grey, it's SilverDammit)
Targa windshield, Fender extender, Murph's knee savers, bar risers, Optronix driving lights, Garmin Quest GPS, hyperlights, Back off stop light flasher, backrest extender

Offline cugsy

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 03:23:25 PM »
Well, I've just forked out over £200 for new BT45's. I'll hammer the things in summer and use the DR for winter....allegedly. 8)  John
Bloody hell - its a heavy bike!

Offline Ron Moss

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 06:38:01 PM »
I find that a little hard to belive. I'm on my 3rd set of BT45's with no problems at all and yes it does get cold where I live.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 01:57:27 PM »
On my third BT45 front.  The one currently on the Honda has 6000 miles...the one I took off the Concours had 20,000 miles on it, then the new one on the Concours.  Down to about 15F this past Winter, and even colder last Winter too.  I ride in all weather unless there is slippery stuff still on the highway...

400 miles on the C 10 yesterday...never a problem.

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline qman

• Autobahn Motors
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 03:05:33 PM »
I had a set of bt45 and i loved them, up here in the great white north we get cold, real cold. Never had a problem. By the look of those tires they were way past worn anyway. What bridgestone means is they aren't designed to be used in cold temp.  Like slicks are not for the street, or......cold weather!
Why don't you get some winter or all season tires if you're concerned?

hahahahahhahahhhaaaaaaaaaahahhahahah....gack! cough, uuuuggghhh, o, whew, Oh my! Sorry about the green stuff on the screen there, here, let me get that.
Ü

Offline Summit670

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 06:06:35 PM »
I wonder what the date code is on that tire which is cracked.    Also, what conditions it was stored in, like was there a lot of ozone producing electric motors in the storage area.

Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.