Author Topic: Murphs tubular adapters and Honda Sabre bars.  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Mike G

Murphs tubular adapters and Honda Sabre bars.
« on: April 22, 2013, 05:56:30 AM »
I have been having neck pain on long rides so I decided to install Murphs tubular bar adapters and the adjustable handlebars off an 85 Honda V65 Sabre.  I re-routed all the cables and hoses with the exception of the front brake hose from the master cylinder to the splitter.  For that I bought some Earls fittings and braided stainless hose from ANPlumbing.com and made it myself.  If the bars were any further back or higher it would require at least a new clutch hose and maybe others, even some of the wires were about as far as they can go without surgery.  It moves the bars back about 4” and my hands are now about even with the rear of the gas cap and about as high as stock bars with 1.25” risers.  According to an online motorcycle ergonomics site I went from about a 20 degree forward lean to about 5 deg.  Hopefully that will alleviate the neck pain but only time will tell.  Now I just need to install the SPOOFAK, wire up the GPS cradle and add the 4-pot GSXR calipers and I will be done farkeling for a bit.(famous last words)  I already did the Meanstreak rear wheel, Rifle windshield, overflow tubes and Audiovox cruise control so it's just about where I want it.

This shows approximately the difference between stock bars and the adapters with Sabre bars.

Here is the finished installation.

Mike G

Offline kzz1king

Re: Murphs tubular adapters and Honda Sabre bars.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 10:32:15 AM »
Looks comfy, let us know how it works out.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 11:22:17 AM »
Yeah when the right year Sabre bars are found they make a poor mans set of HELI-BARS as they are adjustable at one set of bends...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline MrSkydriver

• Gregg Hackett
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 11:28:56 AM »
That is exactly what I did.  I will be selling them shortly since I'm getting a C14 Friday 4/25/2013.  I plan on selling lots of farkles before I sell the bike since I have a lot invested in them and won't really help much with the selling price.  As soon as I know all the stuff I'm going to sell I will post....some: Corbin Seat w/backrest, fork brace, set of bags, headlight modulator, headlight armor, risers and handlebars, etc.
Gregg
Gregg Hackett - MrSkydriver@gmail.com 
'08 Concours ZG 1400 '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV 1000
Santa Rosa, CA
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Offline Mike G

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 09:25:28 AM »
Much more upright and comfy but I still get a fair amount of back pressure due to the windshield/fairing.(not that I expected the bars to change that.)  I will start cutting the windshield down until the back pressure on my helmet goes away and hope that will eliminate the neck pain on long rides.

Mike G