Author Topic: I get it now....  (Read 1673 times)

Offline timmerz

I get it now....
« on: March 27, 2013, 08:02:05 PM »
Everything has finally sharply focused all at once for me on this project '92 Concours I bought a couple of years ago for a grand...it ran fine, just needed cosmetic finishing and fixing-up...that was before I found out how many improvements could be made on the original product....it has taken me two years and untold amounts of hard-squeezed cash to get to this point, but I rode from Oakley, Ca. to Los Banos, Ca. this morning, worked an 8-hour shift, then rode home this afternoon...190 miles round trip, I still have a quarter of a tank of gas, and had the ride of my life going down Hiway 5 and then back up...every cent I've dropped into this bike, from the front and rear suspensions to Steve's job on the carbs to the special-padded seat and God-can't-even-remember what else I've done to it came to the fore today ...unbelieveable ride, never even got close to being out of control, cruised at speeds up to 95 mph and the Concours never even twitched, just sang its heart out and asked for more...
I totally get it now.
Maybe now I can finally get started on the cosmetics that are still so rough I don't want to post pics of the bike yet...I can't think of anything else I can possibly blow any more cash on...oh wait, that's right...I've got the led lights coming for the dash, and the new ignition switch set coming to replace the increasingly stiff/notchy ignition that's on it right now...{sigh}....yeah, it'll be pretty one of these days, but until then, I'm a riding mo'fo' nowadays!

Offline sgilbert14

Re: I get it now....
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 09:05:25 PM »
I bought a 92 last year and my list is growing..... what are your best add-ons so maybe I'll ......................................
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:05:26 AM by sgilbert14 »

Offline redden68

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 04:35:04 PM »
after my 99 being down for almost 2 years, I know how you feel.  Good job!

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 04:46:45 PM »
Reminds me of a boat project my brother and I did a few years ago.
We though we'd restore a boat and share costs/ownership.  We figured it would take a couple of months and about 3k each.
Well, 3 years and 18k later....   :o

We did win an online competition where viewers voted on the best boat.  The grand prize was an "Atta boy".

Offline timmerz

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 08:31:27 PM »
Not only did you guys get the "atta boy" together, I'm willing to bet you got some killer brotherhood times out of the project also...
My younger brother and I had that kind of experience 'way back in the early eighties when we built a v-8 Vega together and then raced it down at the Fremont drags...