Author Topic: Replacement Gas Tank Insulation  (Read 3413 times)

Offline MetrickMetal

• MetrickMetal Custom Motorcycle Parts
Replacement Gas Tank Insulation
« on: March 18, 2013, 08:17:11 AM »
The thermal insulation on the bottom of the gas tank was all torn up and in terrible shape on the C10 I'm restoring so I removed all of it. So my first question is does it cause problems with heating up the gas tank if you don't have it installed, as I assume that is the purpose of it this is the first bike that I have ever owned that had this on the bottom of the tank, and if it is required does anybody have any good inexpensive replacement options besides buying the 3 pieces from Kawasaki which are really expensive.

I looked at the thermo-coustic barrier sheets from Eastwood that are on sale right now for $19.95 for 5 12" square pieces, but apparently from the reviews it doesn't hold up well and tends to drip the vinyl rubber backing down over everything.  ;) 

www.MetrickMetal.com custom motorcycle parts
Custom naked 07 Suzuki Bandit GSF1250S/AK7
In the process of resurrecting an 02 C10

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Replacement Gas Tank Insulation
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 10:04:07 AM »
The thermal insulation on the bottom of the gas tank was all torn up and in terrible shape on the C10 I'm restoring so I removed all of it. So my first question is does it cause problems with heating up the gas tank if you don't have it installed, as I assume that is the purpose of it this is the first bike that I have ever owned that had this on the bottom of the tank, and if it is required does anybody have any good inexpensive replacement options besides buying the 3 pieces from Kawasaki which are really expensive.

I looked at the thermo-coustic barrier sheets from Eastwood that are on sale right now for $19.95 for 5 12" square pieces, but apparently from the reviews it doesn't hold up well and tends to drip the vinyl rubber backing down over everything.  ;)
I think that the insulation is a CA-only thing.  My C10 doesn't have any, and doesn't seem to suffer any ill effects. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 10:50:23 AM »
  Yup. My tank has a naked bottom also. ::)
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline MetrickMetal

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
I think that the insulation is a CA-only thing.  My C10 doesn't have any, and doesn't seem to suffer any ill effects.

Awesome info guys, and thanks, and all I can say is it's just more of the same old CA commies regs that have ruined this beautiful state which I was born and raised in, and it just means that I have more money to spend on other things I need for the bike.  ;)

Offline Summit670

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 05:31:24 PM »
My bike is an 87 and 49 state model and it has reflective sections on the bottom of the tank.  I don't think the tape is any thicker than the reflective tape you can get at the lumberyard or hardware store.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 10:23:24 AM »
My bike is an 87 and 49 state model and it has reflective sections on the bottom of the tank.  I don't think the tape is any thicker than the reflective tape you can get at the lumberyard or hardware store.

I have 2 87s.  Neither one ever had the material stuck on them.  Come to think of it, neither does the 88 parts bike.  Perhaps the PO added it if you are not the original owner?
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline MetrickMetal

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
I have 2 87s.  Neither one ever had the material stuck on them.  Come to think of it, neither does the 88 parts bike.  Perhaps the PO added it if you are not the original owner?

No, it is a factory installed item.

Go to an online parts supplier like Ronayers and look up an 02 C10, and you will see the 3 piece insulation shown under the fuel tank. It's sounding like I can get by without it, but I may still keep my eye out for some other type of foil backed insulation that uses regular fiberglass insulation like the stock stuff, but what isn't as expensive as the stock stuff. 

Offline Summit670

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 08:31:43 PM »
I am the original owner on the 87 which had the reflective tape (pads?) OEM.  I believe the bike was manufactured in late 86.

Interesting, the parts fiche shows the "pads" for the california model only but my bike is the 49 state version and I know I don't have the evap stuff.  If the pads are the reflective pieces under the tank, I'd just use the heat tape from menards and call it good.

Maybe people assembing the bikes didn't differentiate tanks all the time and put Calif tanks on 49 staters.  Also note, my bike is silver and most 87's are burgandy (sp?).
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 06:27:33 AM »
Personally (aka IMHO), if they are not on your bike currently, I wouldn't waste time to add them.

They may help a little in extreme heat situations, but maybe not.  These are simply one of the pieces of the puzzle that helped them pass a mandatory emission requirement at the assembly line level.  If you are thinking they might help to cool you, I would think they wouldn't.  If you really want to maybe do some good, get some really good aftermarket stuff - that in the end may not be really doing anything.

As a side note, there was a discussion about fuel starvation and riders running a fuel filter (mainly in a hot climate) a while back.  Some riders have been known to wrap the fuel filter and the line a few inches in both directions to perhaps help with a possible vapor lock and to help with head pressure when the fuel in the tank was low.  The fuel line and filter is pretty close to the valve cover.

As for me - not filter, no insulation, no problems.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington