Author Topic: Why C14 instead of ZX-14?  (Read 10862 times)

Son of Pappy

Re: Why C14 instead of ZX-14?
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 07:11:30 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 10:35:16 PM »
kipass?

I seem to have left that off my list.  Hmm...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 11:12:51 PM »
KiPass gives the unfair advantage !
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 12:30:17 AM »
1) More comfortable seating position & for back
2) More comfortable arm positions
3) More comfortable leg positions
4) More ergonomically correct for reducing fatigue
5) Massively more storage
6) Lower insurance rates (sometimes tremendously lower)
7) Requires less maintenance (no annoying chain, primarily)
8) More features (instrumentation, etc)
9) Far better warranty (300% better, plus extendable cheaply)
10) More reliable
11) More range (but not by a lot... unfortunately)
12) Longer wheelbase (which equates to a nicer ride)

Plus the fact that this old abused body appreciates all of the above tremendously!! I sold my ZX last year after my last ultra-long distance rally due to the fact that I was hurting something awful after a 1200km plus in the saddle...with about the same distance to go! Did the same rally 2 months ago on the Connie, could have ridden further...MASSIVE difference!! Love this bike!  ;D  :thumbs:

motocopter

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 09:08:06 AM »
6) Lower insurance rates (sometimes tremendously lower)

Tee-totally agree. My suspicion is that ZG or ZR models have better rates than ZX.

If cost is no object, then #6 could be scratched off.

Offline ugocon

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 12:48:19 PM »
They're two completely different bikes, or, better, the destination of use is absolutely different, IMO.
The ZX is a bike to drive with your heart: the fastest commercial bike available and a stunning look, especially in Kawi green!
The ZG is a bike to drive with your head: for long travellers, comfy, fast enough, great storage capabilities and great protection.

The ZX is at the top of my wish list, but, having ridden the ZG for a while now I'm quite happy with it and perhaps the ZX would be too much!  ::)

But I long to test it!  :P  :D
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 03:20:05 PM »
For me the C14 is my big, comfort bike with plenty of performance.  I know the zx is faster, but its still monster sized.

Thsi guy I know, lets call him rcannon408...totally different thna me, hit 163 today while map testing his 1000 ninja auto tune. I noticed a lack in the tables of 100% throttle at 10,000 rpm.  Thats ok top speed for  a comfort bike...yea, slow for a zx14, but semi ok.

So, why do I need to split the difference between these two again?  The ninja is  a riot, but wont carry anything.  I actually lost  a pack of cigs today for crying out loud.

I know we're well beyond th eage of a one bike for all, but unless a drag strip becomes important, I dont see a zx in my future.  I'd LOVE to have one, though, since I love all things motorcycling.  Plus,a green 650 ninja for those days after my private freeway/expressway opens to the public.  A zx10r too...just because.

It must be gods gift to me.  4 lanes, PERFECT concrete, and really no traffic except construction people who, uh, "advise" me of whats going on.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »

Thsi guy I know, lets call him rcannon408...totally different thna me, hit 163 today while map testing his 1000 ninja auto tune. I He noticed a lack in the tables of 100% throttle at 10,000 rpm.  Thats ok top speed for  a comfort bike...yea, slow for a zx14, but semi ok.

So, why do I need to split the difference between these two again?  The ninja is  a riot, but wont carry anything.  I He actually lost  a pack of cigs today for crying out loud.

FIFY
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Over the past month of motorcycle shoppin', readin' & dreamin' about 'em, my "likes" have progressed about once a week, evolving from the '13 FJR -> '12/'13 C14 -> '12/'13 ZX-14R -> to now ... . . . .. a '12/'13 Yamaha YZF R1  :o

Each time I think this is "the one", starting with the FJR, I was just too busy to actually go buy it. I know exactly where to go buy the '13 FJR I want(ed) here in FL, if I decided to do it. Same thing happened with the C14; NC dealer has the one I'd buy. Then the ZX-14R. Then over the last couple days ... the YZF has caught my attention.

I think I'm realizing that I'm probably never gonna take trips longer than about an hour & a half on whatever bike I get, so I might as well go ahead & get the b@lls-to-the-wall, no compromises performance I love, so each short ride is as thrilling as possible. I know the ZX is faster top speed & prob a little more comfy, but the YZF is lighter, cheaper, & I like its looks better ... & now Yamaha's new crossplane crankshaft engine format, combined with aftermarket mufflers, makes that thing sound like a big V-twin Ducati!

No storage - That shouldn't be much of a problem, either, for my short trips; I can wear a backpack, & maybe get a tank bag.

Have I lost my mind? Maybe. Probably! But while I'm 44 right now, I'm still thin at 6' / 155lbs & in good shape, so for the foreseeable future I don't see the YZF's extreme riding position being a problem, considering the short trips I'm likely to take. This might be my last hoorah from 'still feeling good' ... to my 50's ... heck or maybe my 60's!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 04:23:56 PM »
Yamasaki just doesn't have the same ring.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 04:38:16 PM »
I think I'm realizing that I'm probably never gonna take trips longer than about an hour & a half on whatever bike I get, so I might as well go ahead & get the b@lls-to-the-wall, no compromises performance

You need to get what is right for you! (We don't know what that is, of course, we don't even know what bikes you have driven and for how long)

But I will point out that I have never driven the C14 more than 2 hours in a stretch, most trips being much shorter.  Comfort is comfort- whether it is 30 min, 2 hours, 6 hours, or 12 hours...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 05:57:16 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Over the past month of motorcycle shoppin', readin' & dreamin' about 'em, my "likes" have progressed about once a week, evolving from the '13 FJR -> '12/'13 C14 -> '12/'13 ZX-14R -> to now ... . . . .. a '12/'13 Yamaha YZF R1  :o

Each time I think this is "the one", starting with the FJR, I was just too busy to actually go buy it. I know exactly where to go buy the '13 FJR I want(ed) here in FL, if I decided to do it. Same thing happened with the C14; NC dealer has the one I'd buy. Then the ZX-14R. Then over the last couple days ... the YZF has caught my attention.

I think I'm realizing that I'm probably never gonna take trips longer than about an hour & a half on whatever bike I get, so I might as well go ahead & get the b@lls-to-the-wall, no compromises performance I love, so each short ride is as thrilling as possible. I know the ZX is faster top speed & prob a little more comfy, but the YZF is lighter, cheaper, & I like its looks better ... & now Yamaha's new crossplane crankshaft engine format, combined with aftermarket mufflers, makes that thing sound like a big V-twin Ducati!

No storage - That shouldn't be much of a problem, either, for my short trips; I can wear a backpack, & maybe get a tank bag.

Have I lost my mind? Maybe. Probably! But while I'm 44 right now, I'm still thin at 6' / 155lbs & in good shape, so for the foreseeable future I don't see the YZF's extreme riding position being a problem, considering the short trips I'm likely to take. This might be my last hoorah from 'still feeling good' ... to my 50's ... heck or maybe my 60's!

Why not just have multiple bikes in the garage?

Next...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 06:12:54 PM »
One was built for comfort the other for speed. I'll let you decide which is which.

:rotflmao:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 06:13:51 PM »
May I add I miss Vicki more than the ZX14, this pic was in '08 we ducked out of the rain at a University building  ;D

Does Theresa know about that?  ;D

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 06:31:54 PM »

Why not just have multiple bikes in the garage?

Next...

I have plenty of garage space ... please send whichever bike(s) you think I will need  ;D There's talk of your bottomless bank account  8)

But only do it if it won't slow completion of your CTG.

(Conversion To Green)

Offline booger

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 06:43:38 PM »
This might be my last hoorah from 'still feeling good' ... to my 50's ... heck or maybe my 60's!

I had Suzuki Hayabusa at age 55.  A Kwak ZX-10R at 58.  The C-14 is a lot more sedate ride.

If your going for the thrills, why the YZF?  Just go ahead and get the ZX-14

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »
I have plenty of garage space ... please send whichever bike(s) you think I will need  ;D

:rotflmao: :chugbeer:

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2013, 06:58:22 PM »
You need to get what is right for you! (We don't know what that is, of course, we don't even know what bikes you have driven and for how long)

OK, from the start! 1) 197x Honda XR70 as a ~8 y.o. boy  ;D ; 2) 197x Kawasaki KV100 as a pre-teen; 3) 198x Honda CB125 at age 15 until age 16 when I could finally drive a car!  :) ; 4) 1993 Yamaha FZR600, awesome! but I really really wanted a Honda CBR900RR but was trying to be "reasonable"; 5) 1994 Honda CBR900RR, when I found I just could not live with the FZR knowing the big CBR existed, & kept this CBR for about 2 years then sold thinking I wouldn't miss it; 6) 1998 Honda CBR900RR when I discovered I did miss it, & kept this one for a 2-3 years not sure. So I've been away from bikes altogether since about 2000-2001.

All during that decade+ I never missed 'em. But ... then ... I ... started thinkin' ("a cheap used enduro might be fun! & easy!"). And lookin' ("Honda's XR650L would be good, very torquey!"). And thinkin' some more ("how much am I REALLY gonna ride offroad? Really prob never"). "Hmmm ... but something simple for the street might be fun again, maybe a used 600. But if some is good (600), more is better? So, maybe a 1000?? used, still could be fairly cheap. And might as well get something comfortable for long trips! Hey the FJR was always pretty striking. WOE $14K!! Ouch! Ah but I can get a leftover new one for quite a bit less, etc etc etc " ... then decided buying new means I don't have to deal with somebody's else problems & abuse they inflicted on the bike. I've never been too good at compromise  :-\

There's prob a medical term for my affliction, but I can't think of it right now  :-\   Indecisivitis?

I know only I can make this decision - just laying out the facts in case anybody wants to read 'em. [/book]

Offline pistole

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2013, 02:37:32 AM »
But I will point out that I have never driven the C14 more than 2 hours in a stretch, most trips being much shorter. Comfort is comfort- whether it is 30 min, 2 hours, 6 hours, or 12 hours...

- your longest stretch is 2 hours ?

- do you mean your entire ride (start to end) was 2 hours , or that it was 2 hours to say a gas station to get fuel and then onwards ?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2013, 05:43:57 AM »
- your longest stretch is 2 hours ?

- do you mean your entire ride (start to end) was 2 hours , or that it was 2 hours to say a gas station to get fuel and then onwards ?

The longest ride yet on the Concours has been 2, maybe 3 hours.  I define a "ride" as s stretch with only rest stops of 30 min or less.  Most I have ridden total, on the Concours, in a day, would be maybe 5 hours.

I have been much further on previous bikes, before my best friend got married and moved away and stopped riding.  My point was, that I knew I wouldn't be riding far before I bought the Concours.  Comfort is comfort- it doesn't matter how far one plans to normally ride to enjoy all the benefits of the Concours.  But in my case it is more applicable, since I have lots of hand/arm/neck/back issues even when not riding.