Author Topic: Has anyone taken their C14 (or any other bike) on a ferry?  (Read 19623 times)

Offline katata1100

Has anyone taken their C14 (or any other bike) on a ferry?
« on: March 12, 2013, 01:22:05 PM »
I want to ride up to Victoria, B.C. The ferry website says that bikes are allowed to board first, get some wooden car blocks (???) for the bike, park on side stand and be sure to be with bike before docking to support it.
Any words of wisdom here?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Has anyone taken their C14 (or any other bike) on a ferry?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 01:26:24 PM »
I've taken mine on small jaunts and the one from NJ to Delaware without any extra equipment.  Put it in first and on the side stand, I does.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 01:28:01 PM »
I have taken my bike on a ferry across the Columbia a couple of times. I would sit on my bike when we left the dock and getting hooked up to the dock on the other side, but while we were going across I would walk around and take pictures. Bike sat there just fine without any blocks. I am not sure if this is comparable to a ferry to B.C. or not but I thought I would throw it out there.

Offline accbiker

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 01:30:39 PM »
I take mine on the NC Ferry system quite frequently - never had a problem.  The most hair raising time is undocking and docking in my opinion.  I always stay with the bike during those times.  The suggestion for blocks is not a bad idea.

-David
Athens, GA

Offline chap

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 01:34:48 PM »
I have been on the BC ferries a few times, but just the smaller lake crossings. I have the bike on the side stand in gear. I stand by it for docking and the rest of the time it seems OK. May be diferent if it is choppy weather.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 01:36:32 PM »
Been on quite a few inland crossings.  Smooth a silk.  We just stayed with the bikes while getting underway and while docking.  They quite often let the bikes off first so being geared up with the engine running could put you a couple of miles ahead of the cages.
Open water crossings may be different but the ferries are so big I can't see there being enough sudden movement to take it off the sidestand.
 They may also want the car decks empty of humanoids before sailing.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 02:18:07 PM »
I want to ride up to Victoria, B.C. The ferry website says that bikes are allowed to board first, get some wooden car blocks (???) for the bike, park on side stand and be sure to be with bike before docking to support it.
Any words of wisdom here?

Took my 14 on that ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria the other summer... Scary, but no issues (only about 1000 miles on the clock at that point). They have a bunch of rope tied to the sides that you can use to "tie" your bike to the wall. The boat was pretty rocky, but the bike stayed upright both ways. I have a pic of it tied to the wall... I'll try to find it so you can see what it looks like.

Side stand, in gear and forks locked, for what that's worth.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 02:37:25 PM »
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 03:23:14 PM »
I have been on the VA ferry several times.  You need to put the bike in gear, push it forward until it stops, then rest it on the side stand.  This will prevent small/medium movements from pushing it off the stand.  (This is what I was told, not sure it really matters all that much).

I always sit on the bike on launch and docking.

Never seen blocks used nor have they ever been offered nor suggested.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena

Offline stewart

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 04:39:10 PM »
Been on a couple of ferry rides, the biggest across to Marthas Vineyard. They had blocks I recall, side stand. We hung by the bikes to keep and eye on them. Otherwise plain sailing.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 04:50:20 PM »
... We hung by the bikes to keep and eye on them. ...

No passengers on the car deck on this particular run... so there's a little anxiety once you hit port and walk down the stairs (hope it's upright, hope it's upright).
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 05:36:26 PM »

Connie bondage...  ;D

Moto-erotic asphyxiation

...and so I'm not getting off topic, I've had multiple bikes on the NC system, no issues. As others have said, stay with it during docking/undocking.

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 05:53:58 PM »
I took my C14 on the ferry across Mobile Bay. I just parked it on the sidestand since it was a calm day.

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 06:08:44 PM »
I have been on the VA ferry several times.  You need to put the bike in gear, push it forward until it stops, then rest it on the side stand.  This will prevent small/medium movements from pushing it off the stand.  (This is what I was told, not sure it really matters all that much).

I always sit on the bike on launch and docking.

Never seen blocks used nor have they ever been offered nor suggested.

It's common knowledge that retired Army mariners operate the Jamestown and other ferries here Max, hence the complete and total lack of anything other than smooth sailing and pier approaches...  Waterborne.

Offline Tabarswaacky

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 06:25:17 PM »

What is the logic to using the sidestand , as opposed to the centrestand ?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 06:42:49 PM »
What is the logic to using the sidestand , as opposed to the centrestand ?

Bigger triangle = more stable.  :)

Offline 1 wheel peel

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »
Every motorcycle should get to go on a boat ride! ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 08:53:11 PM »
I took my C14 on the ferry across Mobile Bay. I just parked it on the sidestand since it was a calm day.

One should always park the Concours on the side stand when not servicing the vehicle, because it is much more stable than the center stand (contrary to popular belief).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 08:54:49 PM »
It's common knowledge that retired Army mariners operate the Jamestown and other ferries here Max, hence the complete and total lack of anything other than smooth sailing and pier approaches...  Waterborne.

:)

I will admit that although I have been on the ferry several times with my previous bikes, I have never done so with the Concours... yet.   Almost every trip has been very calm, but it is a river, afterall, and not across the bay or anything spectacular.