Author Topic: I just got rear ended at a stop light  (Read 6106 times)

Offline Conrad

I just got rear ended at a stop light
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:29:32 AM »
In the Jetta.

I was waiting for the light to change and the moron woman behind me released her brake when the light changed instead of waiting for me to move, I was waiting on the car in front of me and I had just released my brake and had my foot on the go pedal when BAM! I didn't know what happened at first, I thought that it was my transmission or something, then I looked in the rear view and I knew what happened. She followed me when I pulled over at a store near the intersection. I got out of my car and I was pissed! To my credit I managed not to yell or swear at her. She knew that I was mad as hell though. I asked her, "what were you doing, texting or on the phone?" She says, "that's why they call them accidents and I wasn't using my phone."    :o  I told her that if she wasn't so careless that there wouldn't have been an accident. Then she said, " I could have just taken off when I saw you pull into the parking lot." I told her,  "I would have been right on your tail if you had!"

Anyways, I called the cops and they showed up in about 5 mins. The LEO was great about it and he took the report. He didn't give the stupid woman a ticket though.  >:(

There seems to be very little damage to my car, maybe a dimple on the plastic cover. I need to get the road grime cleaned off so that I can get a better look and crawl up underneath and have a looksee.

My car is just a lil over a year old. ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After the LEO handed us the reports the freakin woman put her finger right in my face and said, "thank you very much for asking about my granddaughter!" (her granddaughter was in the minivan) I told her that if she wasn't such a careless driver that she wouldn't have to be worried about her granddaughter. The LEO got between us (like we were going to come to blows or something) and said, 'let's keep this civil and please go about your separate ways." We did.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cuda

Re: I just got rear ended at a stop light
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:50:53 AM »
why didn't you BITE IT. :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 03:57:54 PM by Cuda »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:54:19 AM »
Glad you weren't on yer 2-wheeler when it happened. I know how you feel about your new car though. It's amazing when some people get offended when they screw with your stuff and you react.

on a similar but different note:
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Laurel-Maryland-Ticket-Driving-Too-Slow-197285901.html

She was really "shocked".

The world is upside-down.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 10:06:55 AM »
You didn't you BITE IT. :D

Wha?    ???

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 10:09:31 AM »
Glad you weren't on yer 2-wheeler when it happened. I know how you feel about your new car though. It's amazing when some people get offended when they screw with your stuff and you react.

Thanks TQ. Yeah, had I been on the bike this conversation would be very different.

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »
I'm  glad you are okay.
My daughter was collided with in nearly the same way last fall.  Got the damaged panels replaced and now I notice the strut is sagging on one corner.  Gonna call the insurance co. again.  Point being look your car over real well.  Even how the doors fit and close.

And I'm kinda miffed that you didn't ask about my granddaughter!  I don't have one yet but you still shouild have asked.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 10:26:39 AM »
Glad you're ok, Conrad.  Thankfully you weren't on the bike.

If she was texting, she wouldn't have moved at all and you wouldn't be in this predicament.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 10:32:21 AM »
I'm  glad you are okay.
My daughter was collided with in nearly the same way last fall.  Got the damaged panels replaced and now I notice the strut is sagging on one corner.  Gonna call the insurance co. again.  Point being look your car over real well.  Even how the doors fit and close.

And I'm kinda miffed that you didn't ask about my granddaughter!  I don't have one yet but you still shouild have asked.

Please pardon my lack of concern. If you had a granddaughter, how do you think that she'd be today? What about the grandson? I hope that, if you had them, that they would both be doing fine today.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 10:35:39 AM »
Glad you're ok, Conrad.  Thankfully you weren't on the bike.

If she was texting, she wouldn't have moved at all and you wouldn't be in this predicament.

Thanks Jim. You're right about the texting. This woman would have been the guy behind hers problem instead of mine. 

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »
Glad you're ok.  Cars/bikes are as disposable and replaceable as bic lighters
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »
Glad you're ok.  Cars/bikes are as disposable and replaceable as bic lighters

Thanks Steve.

Say, how much are you paying for your lighters anyways?   ;)

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 11:02:05 AM »
Ah, 2013, where somehow her hitting you is justification for her being mad because you didn't ask about someone in HER car that SHE put in danger by hitting you. Its always someone elses fault.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 11:09:43 AM »
I just found out that one of the secretaries in my department knows this woman. The secretary says that the woman is more than just a little odd.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 11:17:29 AM »
I know I'm absolutely correct in saying a large majority of people that are driving on our roads are more than a bit odd, and more disturbingly should not even have a license much less be driving a car or truck.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 11:31:30 AM »
In the Jetta.

I was waiting for the light to change and the moron woman behind me released her brake when the light changed instead of waiting for me to move, I was waiting on the car in front of me and I had just released my brake and had my foot on the go pedal when BAM! I didn't know what happened at first, I thought that it was my transmission or something, then I looked in the rear view and I knew what happened. She followed me when I pulled over at a store near the intersection. I got out of my car and I was pissed! To my credit I managed not to yell or swear at her. She knew that I was mad as hell though. I asked her, "what were you doing, texting or on the phone?" She says, "that's why they call them accidents and I wasn't using my phone."    :o  I told her that if she wasn't so careless that there wouldn't have been an accident. Then she said, " I could have just taken off when I saw you pull into the parking lot." I told her,  "I would have been right on your tail if you had!"

Anyways, I called the cops and they showed up in about 5 mins. The LEO was great about it and he took the report. He didn't give the stupid woman a ticket though.  >:(

There seems to be very little damage to my car, maybe a dimple on the plastic cover. I need to get the road grime cleaned off so that I can get a better look and crawl up underneath and have a looksee.

My car is just a lil over a year old. ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After the LEO handed us the reports the freakin woman put her finger right in my face and said, "thank you very much for asking about my granddaughter!" (her granddaughter was in the minivan) I told her that if she wasn't such a careless driver that she wouldn't have to be worried about her granddaughter. The LEO got between us (like we were going to come to blows or something) and said, 'let's keep this civil and please go about your separate ways." We did.

I would have probably said, "My concern for your granddaughter is that she's forced to ride around in the car with a careless driver who is obviously AN IDIOT!"
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »
That's exactly why I never take my foot off the brake until I have a clear path to accelerate.  Too many inattentive drivers out there who just take their cue from the person in front of them. 

I saw where the left turn lane turned green and when the lady saw that the car beside her was going she hit the accelerator and went right through the red light.  Fortunately the cars turning left from the other direction hesitated. 

Did you call her butter face?   :o
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 11:40:28 AM »
That's exactly why I never take my foot off the brake until I have a clear path to accelerate.  Too many inattentive drivers out there who just take their cue from the person in front of them. 

I saw where the left turn lane turned green and when the lady saw that the car beside her was going she hit the accelerator and went right through the red light.  Fortunately the cars turning left from the other direction hesitated. 

Did you call her butter face?   :o

I did have a clear path to accelerate, I just didn't get the pedal pressed down yet. The woman told me that she was watching the traffic light and not me.

There was no need to call her anything. Neither her face nor her body had anything attractive about them at all. Even her minivan was a POS, aren't they all though?

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 11:56:23 AM »
So glad you are OK and you weren't on the bike.
I think that a bumper is like a helmet. If it is hit in an accident it needs to be examined. Youmight need to replace it, because you can't see all the damage from the outside. If she is at fault, she can pay for it.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 12:37:57 PM »
I took a bucket of water out to the parking lot over lunch and got the area rinsed off and somewhat clean, clean enough to see at least. I can clearly see the outline of the woman's front license plate bracket in the bumper skin plus a nice set of rash scratches. Crap! I'll be visiting the body shop in the next few days. If the car was a few years old I might not even care but it isn't and I do.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 04:33:06 PM »
That sux, sorry C...  :(