Author Topic: AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Furbo

• Arena
AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!
« on: March 11, 2013, 02:33:10 AM »
Did my 'winter maintenance' this past weekend, oil change, valve adjustment, new wheel bearings, clean air filter, etc....got it all back together and I evidently pinched the valve cover gasket....oil...smoke....profanity.... :yikes:
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline rwulf

Re: AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:44:52 AM »
Yep, been there, done that !!!

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 11:34:07 AM »
Did my 'winter maintenance' this past weekend, oil change, valve adjustment, new wheel bearings, clean air filter, etc....got it all back together and I evidently pinched the valve cover gasket....oil...smoke....profanity.... :yikes:
  You mean something like "Oh poop" ?  Bet it's pinched in the front where you can't see a damn thing! >:(
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 06:21:14 AM »
I just finished replacing the head on shoodaben. After the initial cam installation and valve adjustment, I had to pull the valve cover 2X more to re-torque the head bolts and re-adjust the valves (it was a freshly built head). It's all buttoned up now, but it was a long slog getting there. Steve

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 06:50:56 PM »
why don't you guys just get a honda  :rotflmao: :hitfan:

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 07:40:28 PM »

:doublepuke:
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 02:36:01 AM »

Well, I gotta admit - I REALLY miss Moto Guzzi everytime I do a valve adjustment.  The onlt upside on the Conni vs the old Guzzi SP III is that the valve adjustment on the guzzi was barely a 2 beer job. The Connie can easily require an entire rack!   :chugbeer:

Fortunately, it's all put right now, and I'm almost over the hangover.
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 07:48:25 AM »
My old '81 Honda Silverwing was great for valve adjustments.  It was the GL500 model with the cylinders poked out side ways in a V.  All you had to do was loosen two cover bolts on each side and there were the valves.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »
Adjust valves on a Guzzi?
That requires actually spinning wrenches and maybe risking a valve cover gasket. Guzzi riders are more frugal than that.
I have to even loosen lower fairings to get the valve covers off... :o
Stuff the corn cob pipe, adjust the red suspenders and drink beer. If the valves are noisy, that's good enough!
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 10:24:38 AM »
My old '81 Honda Silverwing was great for valve adjustments.  It was the GL500 model with the cylinders poked out side ways in a V.  All you had to do was loosen two cover bolts on each side and there were the valves.

Yep, that was my first bike.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.