Author Topic: Opinions, ideas, and concepts wanted - C14 color schemes???  (Read 78612 times)

Son of Pappy

Re: Opinions, ideas, and concepts wanted - C14 color schemes???
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2013, 09:34:23 PM »
I like Silverdammit and you like slow black, lets meet in the middle with a nice gun metal gray :)  Think Steve Mac. and Bullit ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2013, 10:29:10 PM »
I like Silverdammit and you like slow black, lets meet in the middle with a nice gun metal gray :)  Think Steve Mac. and Bullit ;D

I do like some of the darker greys...  ;)

Thanks for chiming in though Chet, it seems this forum has little creativity when it comes to color idea's though eh?  ???

I blame Gsun for making me post this thread here, I actually expected more from this crowd, I guess I should have just kept it low key in my wanted thread...  :(

I'm thinking maybe just stick with my original idea...  8)

I'm thinking have that 3rd set of bodywork done in a special "frosted black" (it's a flat black with a slight blue'sh tint hue pearl that only really shows in full sun over it and then mutliple clear coats over that, it's a really sick paint in person but from afar is pretty plain Jane, very opposite of the Golden Blaze green bodywork currently being done) and then do gold anodized wheels to match my Ohlins forks...  :o

Whatcha think?

Just an idea for now, but the more I think about it the more I'm liking the concept...  8)

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2013, 11:30:52 PM »
I have never been a fan of the flat black scheme on bikes but maybe it is just a lack of knowledge on my part. Can you wax it? Not looking for a shine, but at least want the water to bead. Always seemed to me that the lack of a clear coat would not bode well with a coat of wax.... but I could be wrong.  I do like the black and gold idea, but not an uber glossy gold, that would look to "blingy" IMHO.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline speed545

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2013, 04:35:06 AM »
Dont worry about painting it, leave it like it is

could look like that  ;D
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2013, 07:43:06 AM »
I actually expected more from this crowd...  :(

Offline Conrad

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2013, 08:49:37 AM »

I actually expected more from this crowd...   :(

Don't expect too much and you'll never be let down.   ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2013, 09:11:02 AM »

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2013, 09:12:19 AM »
I have never been a fan of the flat black scheme on bikes but maybe it is just a lack of knowledge on my part. Can you wax it? Not looking for a shine, but at least want the water to bead. Always seemed to me that the lack of a clear coat would not bode well with a coat of wax.... but I could be wrong.  I do like the black and gold idea, but not an uber glossy gold, that would look to "blingy" IMHO.

Yes OCK, you can do clears and pearls overtop the flat black and it looks really cool up close.  8)

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2013, 11:49:21 AM »
I LOVE the candy copper/black paint scheme myself.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2013, 11:57:08 AM »

Yes OCK, you can do clears and pearls overtop the flat black and it looks really cool up close.  8)

You'll want to use a satin or flat clear coat, not high gloss. If you put a high gloss clear coat over a flat black, it would look like your typical high gloss black. I've even clear coated flat black sealer and it came out looking like high gloss black paint, haha.

Most painters use 1K paints for flat finishes.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2013, 08:52:42 PM »
You'll want to use a satin or flat clear coat, not high gloss. If you put a high gloss clear coat over a flat black, it would look like your typical high gloss black. I've even clear coated flat black sealer and it came out looking like high gloss black paint, haha.

Most painters use 1K paints for flat finishes.

Have you ever done a pearl on a flat black OL?

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »

Have you ever done a pearl on a flat black OL?

I've done ghost flames using a blue pearl over flat black. You can mix pearls with just about anything though...

I'm just a hobby painter. I've only shot a hand full of bikes, a couple jet skis and a few helmets in my lifetime, nothing major. It's a lot of fun to play around with but having the right facility is everything, and I don't have that...

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2013, 02:51:59 PM »
I've done ghost flames using a blue pearl over flat black.

Got any pics??

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2013, 03:56:18 PM »

Got any pics??

Unfortunately I don't. I lost a huge collection of pictures in a HDD crash a few years back.

I searched the WEB and found something similar. It kinda' looked like this only instead of silver, it was blue and a bit more subtle.

FYIY, this tank is finished with a satin CC.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2013, 04:39:28 PM »
Unfortunately I don't. I lost a huge collection of pictures in a HDD crash a few years back.

I searched the WEB and found something similar. It kinda' looked like this only instead of silver, it was blue and a bit more subtle.

FYIY, this tank is finished with a satin CC.

Nice, I like that!  8)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2013, 04:47:48 PM »
The Honda Shadow Sabre had paint like that. I always like the subtle ghost flame look and the satin black looks really nice.

Offline connie1

• Arena
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2013, 11:13:41 PM »
Sorry.  This is beyond my computer skills.  It works for me.  I'll try something else.
http://www.true-fire-flames.org/true-fire-flames.htm

If you scroll down there are some subdued flames on a trash can.  With a good airbrush artist it could look neat.  I think very subdued would be the key.  But then I'm a pretty subdued kinda guy.  After your green paint this may not be flashy enough.

Just thinking out loud again... flat flat flat black (like the inside of a diesel exhaust pipe flat) and glossy flames.  Like the flames have charred the rest of the bike. 
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2013, 11:24:59 PM »
Sorry.  This is beyond my computer skills.  It works for me.  I'll try something else.
http://www.true-fire-flames.org/true-fire-flames.htm

If you scroll down there are some subdued flames on a trash can.  With a good airbrush artist it could look neat.  I think very subdued would be the key.  But then I'm a pretty subdued kinda guy.  After your green paint this may not be flashy enough.

Got it, thanks C1!  :chugbeer:

I'm not thinking flashy at all for the 3rd set, subdued is indeed what I'm looking for, custom and cool up close but definately low key from a distance...  8) :thumbs:

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2013, 02:22:19 PM »
While some do look cool, I suspect the flat paint treatments going on lately will be a fad that wears off. People love SHINY things, don't we?!

You could consider incorporating secondary colors/graphics Kawasaki has used over the years: