Author Topic: Anheuser-Busch accused of watering down several brands  (Read 6374 times)

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: Anheuser-Busch accused of watering down several brands
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 02:23:48 PM »
Lawyers going after deep pockets again. Now if they would file a class action lawsuit for all the liver disease, misery, lost man hours, family violence and carnage on the roads their product causes in society they might get more attention.

Using that logic you should sue the container manufacturer and the vehicle manufacturer since if there wasn't a container for the beer and a vehicle for the person to drive none of what you said would happen.

Face it. It is PEOPLE who cause the violence and carnage. There is no proof what these people do would not happen if they CHose not to drink. No one forces the people to imbibe. They do it of their own free will knowing the consequences.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 02:53:50 PM »
Using that logic you should sue the container manufacturer and the vehicle manufacturer since if there wasn't a container for the beer and a vehicle for the person to drive none of what you said would happen.

Face it. It is PEOPLE who cause the violence and carnage. There is no proof what these people do would not happen if they CHose not to drink. No one forces the people to imbibe. They do it of their own free will knowing the consequences.

That's not what my bartender told me over lunch.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 03:18:17 PM »
I like Coors Light.  I also like caloric challenged women :)

Offline C14PAINKILLER

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 10:36:53 PM »
I gave up on booze and cigs years ago.   Now if I could give up crotchrockets and stick to slower safer bikes only (such as my Connie) my life expectancy may actually increase too

If you wanted slow you should have bought a black one! :stirpot:

I like American beer, I can drink twice as many than real Canadian beer. Mind you that was when I was younger and drinkin. :o

Pass the Kool-Aid!
2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 10:48:04 PM »
If you wanted slow you should have bought a black one! :stirpot:

:o

Offline cmoore

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 05:33:01 AM »
Hey Cholla, nobody puts a gun to somebody's head and tells 'em to suck on cigarettes either. That didn't help the tobacco companies in the end. Ask any cop what the biggest problem drug is in this country and they will tell you alcohol. If people want to drink and they do let them drink.  I'm just saying their class action suit would get more traction if they represented the victims of alcohol not the people that want to get drunker.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 08:06:36 AM »
A few years back before the sale, they made American Ale, it was good, for American pee beer. Now, they are selling what they call Black Crown, its marginal for American pee beer, its for the folks who drink lite beer so they can think they are cultured when they drink beer at parties with their sport coat on.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 01:24:23 PM »
Ask any cop what the biggest problem drug is in this country and they will tell you alcohol.
Actually, I know a liberal cop on another motorcycle website that is currently arguing that soda (and the resultant obesity) is a bigger problem than alcohol.   ::)  We're discussing NYC's stupid ban on large containers of soda.

Yes, even after being given a list of facts, such as there being around 500,000 children between the ages of 9 & 12 addicted to alcohol, he's insisting that soda/obesity is a more pressing health concern.   ::)

He's widely regarded on that site as an idiot.  (And probably off-site as well.   :rotflmao: )
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 01:41:44 PM »
Actually, I know a liberal cop on another motorcycle website that is currently arguing that soda (and the resultant obesity) is a bigger problem than alcohol.   ::)  We're discussing NYC's stupid ban on large containers of soda.

Yes, even after being given a list of facts, such as there being around 500,000 children between the ages of 9 & 12 addicted to alcohol, he's insisting that soda/obesity is a more pressing health concern.   ::)

He's widely regarded on that site as an idiot.  (And probably off-site as well.   :rotflmao: )

I would regard him as an idiot from this site as well.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 02:17:29 PM »

All the statistics in the world misses the point when it comes to voluntary behavior. If you think alcohol is a problem, don't drink it. If you think soda is a problem, don't drink it and don't buy it for your kids. If you think Big Macs are a problem... well you see where this is going. Nothing to me is scarier then a person with authority dictating my behavior. That cop is not only an idiot he is a menace to a free society.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 08:25:16 PM »
You guys would enjoy him.  He's right there with Bert/Fly/etc.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 08:42:50 PM »
I kinda miss those guys.......... ::) NOT!
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2013, 05:24:22 AM »

Ask him how many folks have got behind the wheel and killed someone because they're fat? How many overweight men have pounded down too many cokes and then beat up their wives and/or kids?  Freakin moron...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 05:35:24 AM »
(I'd say that these percentages are close enough)

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/01/business/beer-alcohol-test/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

How much alcohol is really in your Bud?

(CNN) -- Every old-school journalist wants this assignment: test beer to see if it's been watered down, as a recent class-action lawsuit in California claims.

CNN conducted an independent lab test of Budweiser and related brands this week.

The results?

Budweiser contained 4.94% alcohol by volume, compared with 5% stated on the label.

Bud Light Lime possessed 4.13%, compared with 4.2% stated on the packaging.

And Bud Ice showed 5.35%, compared with the label's 5.5%.

When told of the results, a spokesman for Anheuser-Busch, which brews the brands, reiterated the company's stance that the lawsuit is "completely false" and "groundless."

"The sample test results you provided are well within the variability of the all-natural brewing process and all in full compliance with all alcohol labeling laws, as we noted," Peter Kraemer, vice president of brewing and supply for Anheuser-Busch, told CNN.

Joshua Boxer, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said he wasn't surprised by how CNN's results differed from the brewer's figures.

The lawsuit's claims are partly based on internal information from former Anheuser-Busch employees, and the suit will be seeking the beer maker's internal numbers on alcohol content, Boxer said.

"That's the proof you should actually be asking for," Boxer told CNN.

The plaintiffs' attorneys believe a bottle of Budweiser has 4.7% alcohol instead of the label's 5% figure. Over a year of brewing, that alcohol difference amounts to "tens of millions" of dollars in savings for the company, Boxer said.

"The most accurate data, as we discussed, is going to come from Anheuser-Busch because they do their testing six times per second," Boxer said. "And they use different technology, in fact, from the laboratories you used."

Earlier this week, two California residents sued Anheuser-Busch, alleging the company waters down Budweiser and other beers "significantly" to boost profits.

The class-action lawsuit alleges that the maker of the "King of Beers" has the technology to precisely control the amount of alcohol in its beers but adds water so the alcohol is well below the advertised figure of 5% by volume, the suit said.

"There are no impediments -- economic, practical or legal -- to AB accurately labeling its products to reflect their true alcohol content," the 18-page lawsuit said. "Nevertheless, AB uniformly misrepresents and overstates that content."

The beer maker has rejected the lawsuit's allegations and now points to media outlets' independent tests to bolster its response.

"The claims against Anheuser-Busch are completely false, and these lawsuits are groundless," Kraemer said earlier this week. "Our beers are in full compliance with all alcohol labeling laws.

"We proudly adhere to the highest standards in brewing our beers, which have made them the best-selling in the U.S. and the world," he said.

The brands that the suit alleges are watered down are those tested by CNN and Bud Lite Platinum, Michelob, Michelob Ultra, Hurricane High Gravity Lager, King Cobra, Busch Ice and Natural Ice.

But the suit doesn't provide figures for the allegedly watered-down alcohol content.

Nina Giampaoli and John Elbert, who reside in Sonoma County, California, are the plaintiffs who say they stopped buying Budweiser after learning of the alleged mislabeling, the suit said.

Their suit, filed last week in federal court in San Francisco, alleges violations of California's consumer protection laws and Missouri's Merchandising Practices Act.

"I think it's wrong for huge corporations to lie to their loyal customers -- I really feel cheated," Giampaoli said in a statement. "No matter what the product is, people should be able to rely on the information companies put on their labels."

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 05:02:39 PM »
(I'd say that these percentages are close enough)

+1  :thumbs: I'm sure many people think it is ok to fleece AB because they are a big corporation. But at the end of the day it is the consumer that will pay for this law suite. This is nothing more than lawyers separating money from Bud drinkers.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2013, 08:38:02 PM »
When they say brand x is 5% that means it is no more than 5% but should be very close.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!