Author Topic: newbie question COG c-14 v. FJR  (Read 9586 times)

Offline Wrinkled Wrider

newbie question COG c-14 v. FJR
« on: February 18, 2013, 09:01:11 AM »
Currently a cruiser rider, looking to make the move to a sport touring bike. 
Had the chance recently to sit on both the fjr and C-14.  Despite the slight difference in seat height, i felt more comfortable on the Kawi., even though i am inseam challenged, and can't flat foot either.  I'm guessing the C-14 seat is narrower? Also, the C-14 felt much better shifting weight from side to side, is this a function of the center of gravity?
Chris

Offline Mister Tee

Re: newbie question COG c-14 v. FJR
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:23:42 AM »
Probably more a function of the ergonomics.  The FJR is a lighter bike, with a lower center of gravity.  I observe the opposite sitting on both bikes.  Once the C14 gets moving though, it does not feel heavy at all.

Offline NuckaMan

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:34:54 AM »
I'm going to say the opposite of your initial impressions.

I thought the FJR was lower and easier to manage (standing still) and slightly thinner.

I'm a Concours owner, got a buddy who has a 2nd Gen FJR. Ridden his extensively.

While I have no regrets with the C-14, if I were in the market for a sport-tourer right now, I'd give the 3rd Gen a FJR a serious look. Both are fantastic motorcycles.....the newest version just upgraded the FJR with some new bells/whistles.

Good luck with your choice and buy what moves you inside, not what anyone from the internet thinks.

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 10:30:57 AM »
While I love my Concours, I'd give the FJR a serious look. It has cruise control! That alone is worth the price of admission for me. Now saying that, I still love my bike, and will keep it for years and miles of smiles.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »
I love the Yammi, but I need a 6th gear too in this day and age
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »
While I love my Concours, I'd give the FJR a serious look. It has cruise control!

And yet still only a 5 speed!!!!!  Plus no slipper, and less power, and non-variable valve timing, and only a one year warranty.  The Concours has nothing to fear quite yet.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cuda

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:43:35 PM »
I'm looking at  McCruise cruise control E mailed them today said he would take 5% off,  so with the exchange rate your looking at just under $1,000 but then he said $77. shipping that  could be split with another person buying a unit at the same time!
Anyone from Fl want cruise control ? If I got CControl I'd own this bike forever.
I looked at the Yamadog first always was a Honda Yamaha guy till I road the Kaw POWER 
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
I'm looking at  McCruise cruise control E mailed them today said he would take 5% off,  so with the exchange rate your looking at just under $1,000 but then he said $77. shipping that  could be split with another person buying a unit at the same time!
Anyone from Fl want cruise control ? If I got CControl I'd own this bike forever.
I looked at the Yamadog first always was a Honda Yamaha guy till I road the Kaw POWER

Give Joe a shot here...

http://www.spoiledbiker.com/kawasakimcc.html
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Cuda

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 04:12:05 PM »
Naw ... I live in South Fl and I want someone that has installed them before doing mine and we have them here  ;) Thanks anyhow
I bet I'll put over 100,000 miles on this sucker I really love this bike.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 04:19:35 PM »
Naw ... I live in South Fl and I want someone that has installed them before doing mine and we have them here  ;) Thanks anyhow
I bet I'll put over 100,000 miles on this sucker I really love this bike.
NP... just noticed he moved... he was in S FL when I bought mine in 05... and he used to install them too.  ;)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »
Rostra electronic cc works well, not that hard to install if you have a little skill and only $240.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 04:58:51 PM »
The FJ is lacking that 6th gear, and that slipper clutch is so so frigging awesome.  Good tires and a reflash from Guhls or a PCV and flyectomy and you would ask why anyoneinthierfrigginmindwouldownanFJR :o

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 05:09:46 PM »
FJ lacks KiPass too?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 06:42:33 PM »
FJ lacks KiPass too?
'90s technology, 1890s ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 08:21:18 PM »
'90s technology, 1890s ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 04:07:52 AM »
Good zinger, SOP.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Wrinkled Wrider

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 04:20:43 AM »
No offense to anyone, but I'll go with Mister Tee's answer, probably a result of ergonomics. Whatever the reason,  I'm more comfortable on the C-14, and I know that if I'm not comfortable, I won't enjoy the ride.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 04:29:56 AM »
You could decide which forum you liked best then pick a bike to match like I did.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 04:31:46 AM »
That's an interesting way to pick a bike, Gary...  Usually it's the other way around.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 04:33:40 AM »
Just trying to get along.