Author Topic: Trailer Hitch  (Read 19778 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Trailer Hitch
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 09:22:03 PM »
That is just so wrong on so many levels.

:goodpost:

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 03:20:52 PM »
I have pulled my (Cheapo) HF trailer for two years and over 12000 miles and have had ZERO problems. If you want to go expensively fast, buy a porche. If you want to get from point A to B comfortably and inexpensively, buy a Yugo (or HF trailer). It has served the same purpose for ALOT less.
  All depends on what your needs are. BTW, I wasn't concerned with what the trailer looked like attached to my bike. If so, I would have it custom painted and still spend less then the cost of a NAME BRAND trailer.

Offline Tabarswaacky

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 09:11:38 PM »
Thanks Kawacop
I have a few questions
Are you using the Bushtech trailer hitch?
Did you buy the optional wiring harness ?
The  H.F. trailer is only rated for 55MPH. Is it safe to go a little faster ?
Does the cooler rack come with it?

Thanks in advance.
Ray

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 11:44:05 PM »
Hi Ray,

This may answer a few of the questions for you. Start here and read down.

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 03:43:54 AM »
Ray,
  Go to the link Marty sent.

To answer some of your other questions;

The cooler does not come with the trailer. Made it myself with some scrap wood I had laying around.

Even though it is rated at 55mph, I have pulled it in excess of 75mph with no problems.

I did install the wiring harness. definitely a good choice and idea.

The HF trailer is WAY lighter then all of those custome ones. I have loaded it with enough gear for a month trip and it still only weighed a total of about 250lbs. Thats a big difference on tire wear and gas mileage.
  Like a said, It all depends on your needs and what appeals to you.
  $399 vs. $2300 +.............to pull some camping gear around, well that was a no brainer for me.

Mark

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 03:53:54 AM »
Ray,
  Go here, http://www.customcruiserchrome.com/product/207, and check out this hitch. It looks like they cut the price down from what I paid over a year ago. It's a very good hitch.

Mark

ang

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 07:36:57 AM »

Offline Tabarswaacky

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 11:59:51 AM »
Thanks Mark,

You are right. The price is down to $ 249.00.  I ordered one.

Gona pick up the harbour freight trailer tomorow for $ 400 bucks and I have a 20% coupon.
!!! What a bargoon.
Next is the Gopro Black edition action camera.
All for under a Grand.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »
What a great deal Ray. Sounds like your good to go. You can always find some good info from some good people on here.
  Hope it all works out well for you.

Ride safe

Mark

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 07:27:58 AM »

You are right. The price is down to $ 249.00.  I ordered one.

Am I doing something wrong?.. I get  $340.95 ( $334.53 after conversion to US dollars )

http://www.customcruiserchrome.com/product/207

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 07:59:39 AM »
No, thats right Marty. I forgot that they're prices are in canadian dollars. the exchange rate to U.S. dollars is higher. In other words, U.S. dollar isn't woth **** anymore.
 Still cheaper then all the other brands I looked at when I purchased mine.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2013, 09:30:35 PM »
No, thats right Marty. I forgot that they're prices are in canadian dollars. the exchange rate to U.S. dollars is higher. In other words, U.S. dollar isn't woth **** anymore.
 Still cheaper then all the other brands I looked at when I purchased mine.
  Well I don't know if I did the conversion right (I used a website so I think I did) since the price got cheaper in US dollars
I guess our Greenbacks are holding their own at least compared to the Canucks bills, however I was really wondering if I missed
a sale or something since Tabarswaacky said $249. Maybe that was in pounds.   ;)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 01:05:59 PM »
I have pulled my (Cheapo) HF trailer for two years and over 12000 miles and have had ZERO problems. If you want to go expensively fast, buy a porche. If you want to get from point A to B comfortably and inexpensively, buy a Yugo (or HF trailer). It has served the same purpose for ALOT less.
  All depends on what your needs are. BTW, I wasn't concerned with what the trailer looked like attached to my bike. If so, I would have it custom painted and still spend less then the cost of a NAME BRAND trailer.

after actually seeing the photos of your setup, I am now convinced there is'nt a thing out there in the "big buck" trailer world to even come close, I actually think that your rig looks quite nice, and sure looks to be able to "out haul" some of the others.
good job man....I been hedging on the conversion for 5 years now, and will definatly be purchasing this year...especially since I have a H/F outlet 12 miles from my house  ;)

what actual trailer number is yours?
looks like the one w/ 8" tires, they are having a sale on these @ my H/F and the one with 12" tires is reduced also, those tires have a higher dot rating...
what cartop carrier is that also?

ooops....
I just had to look further @ H/F
it's the 600# tag-along setup, complete $399.

just curious if you could put the 12" rims on it? ::)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:37:11 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 07:39:20 AM »
after actually seeing the photos of your setup, I am now convinced there is'nt a thing out there in the "big buck" trailer world to even come close, I actually think that your rig looks quite nice, and sure looks to be able to "out haul" some of the others.
good job man....I been hedging on the conversion for 5 years now, and will definatly be purchasing this year...especially since I have a H/F outlet 12 miles from my house  ;)

what actual trailer number is yours?
looks like the one w/ 8" tires, they are having a sale on these @ my H/F and the one with 12" tires is reduced also, those tires have a higher dot rating...
what cartop carrier is that also?

ooops....
I just had to look further @ H/F
it's the 600# tag-along setup, complete $399.

just curious if you could put the 12" rims on it? ::)
I actually upgraded the tires to the 5.70 X8 which is about 2" taller and a little wider. I did measure for the 12" tires, and they would definitely be to big to fit under the fenders. You would have to raise the fender or brackets some way which will also interfere with opening the lid.

Offline Tabarswaacky

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2013, 11:50:05 AM »
 Tabarswaacky said $249. Maybe that was in pounds.   ;)

That was dollars.  Your U.S.  Buck just increased by a few cents more than ours.
Therefore your cost will be even less.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 05:27:56 PM by Tabarswaacky »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2013, 05:57:33 PM »
getting ready to drop the bux$..
don't have any idea what the customcruiserchrome unit looks like, or how it mounts...which distresses me greatly knowing I may need to pull a tire on the road...
the Bushtec looks great, but it's still $400, the canadian one is sitting @ 332 american.... what to do?
anybody have a photo showing the one from custom cruiser?

oh, the HF trailer is sitting at $409 right now....
thank god i made an eror and had the tax lady at work run my witholding as single.....nice check coming ...... 8) 8)
oh, and I'm mixing custom paint right now for the HF trailer....the make it Neutron Silver....the fastest color.....dirt wont stick, and it makes the weight much lighter......
KawaCop... did you do the end swap on the trailer to reverse the tongue location, and did you go with the led lights HF has in stock?
What tires did you grab, did they fit the rims?

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2013, 06:10:55 AM »
getting ready to drop the bux$..
don't have any idea what the customcruiserchrome unit looks like, or how it mounts...which distresses me greatly knowing I may need to pull a tire on the road...
the Bushtec looks great, but it's still $400, the canadian one is sitting @ 332 american.... what to do?
anybody have a photo showing the one from custom cruiser?

oh, the HF trailer is sitting at $409 right now....
thank god i made an eror and had the tax lady at work run my witholding as single.....nice check coming ...... 8) 8)
oh, and I'm mixing custom paint right now for the HF trailer....the make it Neutron Silver....the fastest color.....dirt wont stick, and it makes the weight much lighter......
KawaCop... did you do the end swap on the trailer to reverse the tongue location, and did you go with the led lights HF has in stock?
What tires did you grab, did they fit the rims?

Blues,
 I don't know what you mean by (end swap). I put the trailer together as per instructions. Did not upgrade to the LED lights either. The standard lights have worked just fine for me. I did keep the 8" rim size, but changed the tires to a slightly taller/wider version (bought at Walmart).
  Here is a pic of the customcruiserchrome trailer hitch installed.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 11:18:02 AM »
H/F trailer in box in my garage right now...gonna put that puppy together this weekend...
Got to get my hitch now!!! 8) 8)

did pick up the LED tail/signal lights as they were on sale also....
and tire tools.....
and...
new PR3's.....(murph's not H/F)  ;D

also bought:
2 H/F roll-around bike dollys and a sweet 21 gal air compressor, all were on sale....
damned H/F anyway... 8)

Those bike dollys are super tuff, and work nice!!!!

off to customcruiserchrome... ::)

oh in process of making a tire changer right now based on a 14" car rim...

thank goodness the H.R. lady at work made a mistake and had my witholding as single last year.... made for a farklicious tax refund....heheheheheheh :P

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2013, 06:56:34 PM »

When you get all those other projects finished (or sooner if you feel like it), please us show how you did it
and what you'd do different etc etc. Thanks.

Offline zx12-iowa

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2013, 06:23:34 AM »
H/F trailer in box in my garage right now...gonna put that puppy together this weekend...
Got to get my hitch now!!! 8) 8)

did pick up the LED tail/signal lights as they were on sale also....
and tire tools.....
and...
new PR3's.....(murph's not H/F)  ;D

also bought:
2 H/F roll-around bike dollys and a sweet 21 gal air compressor, all were on sale....
damned H/F anyway... 8)

Those bike dollys are super tuff, and work nice!!!!

off to customcruiserchrome... ::)

thank goodness the H.R. lady at work made a mistake and had my witholding as single last year.... made for a farklicious tax refund....heheheheheheh :P

I picked up one of their bike dollies too.  Works awesome for sliding bike out of the way.  Getting too old to pick her rear up to move her these days.