Author Topic: Your C14 @ a non-chain restaurant!  (Read 196243 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Your C14 @ a non-chain restaurant!
« Reply #460 on: February 06, 2015, 06:48:01 AM »
Not for me...Bagless is great.  I drop the bags and lost the potatoe launcher and she reminds me more of my previous sport bikes.  Prob more in my head than anything....but whatever it takes.

I would ride bag less. I think the C14 looks better without the bags. (Do these bags make my A$$ look fat? Yes!) But now I have the rear protection bars and it seems I'm always carrying something. Oh well.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #461 on: February 06, 2015, 07:02:34 AM »
I would ride bag less. I think the C14 looks better without the bags. (Do these bags make my A$$ look fat? Yes!) But now I have the rear protection bars and it seems I'm always carrying something. Oh well.

I am of the opposite opinion.  I think the bike was designed with the bags, and without it looks like a dated early '90s bike with a fat rear. ;)
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Conrad

« Reply #462 on: February 06, 2015, 07:29:41 AM »
I am of the opposite opinion.  I think the bike was designed with the bags, and without it looks like a dated early '90s bike with a fat rear. ;)

+1 I never ride without my bags.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #463 on: February 06, 2015, 11:36:45 AM »
+2
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

elp_jc

« Reply #464 on: February 06, 2015, 12:47:12 PM »
I have noticed no difference in riding.
Guess you don't ride fast enough. Ha ha. Bags create a lot of drag; simple physics. And affect stability at higher speeds, especially while cornering (sweepers). There's a reason manual says not to exceed 80 mph with the bags and/or passenger on ;). Anyway, I'm in the bagless camp too. Bought the bike with bags for longer trips. But for overnighters, my seatbag is enough. So I hardly ever use them. Wish Kawasaki had body-color plates to go over the bag mounts, like Yamaha (FJR1300) does. But they don't look horrible. The bags are HUGE, and both of them, which is quite nice when space is needed. But the bike looks and feels huge with them too. A matter of personal preference how it looks though.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #465 on: February 06, 2015, 12:50:02 PM »
Back in the early days of this bike, Kawasaki made statements to the effect that the bag shape was engineered to provide down force at high speeds...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

elp_jc

« Reply #466 on: February 06, 2015, 12:58:42 PM »
Back in the early days of this bike, Kawasaki made statements to the effect that the bag shape was engineered to provide down force at high speeds...
And that means LIFT in the front. Not good ;). No bike handles better with bags than without; otherwise racing bikes would have them ;D. But I think Kawasaki probably has the best design. When I brought the bike home at up to 90 mph, didn't feel the negative effects of the bags I have felt on every other bike with bags I've owned. Don't know about the sweepers though. And the extra drag will always be there, meaning higher fuel consumption at the very least. But they're a compromise we sport-tourers are willing to make. Take care.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #467 on: February 06, 2015, 01:58:41 PM »
I've never done high speed without the bags. But whatever they did, they did it right. This bike feels rock solid at 130+.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #468 on: February 06, 2015, 02:51:34 PM »
+2

+3

I usually have lots of stuff to take.  Plus I am lazy.  Plus the bike looks great with the bags and rear McE bars... but the McE bars look hideous without the bags.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #469 on: February 06, 2015, 03:58:53 PM »
have you all ever parked in front of a restaurant and took a pic by chance

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline tomp

« Reply #470 on: February 06, 2015, 04:23:10 PM »
I agree about the bags being part of the bike.  Been over 135, and like previously stated, rock steady (with top case full, too).  Working the next three days, but maybe this week or next will be able to get in a ride and stop at an out of the way eatery. 

FWIW, wasn't sure I was ever going to be employed again, but the new sales position looks like fun, and challenging, too. 

Steve, that is a wonderful pic, congrats..... tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #471 on: February 06, 2015, 04:32:43 PM »

You took that at a restaurant?  Wow- quite a nice view
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #472 on: February 07, 2015, 05:22:14 AM »
snip...
Guess you don't ride fast enough. Ha ha. Bags create a lot of drag; simple physics. And affect stability at higher speeds, especially while cornering (sweepers). There's a reason manual says not to exceed 80 mph with the bags and/or passenger on ;).

The manual says not to exceed 80mph with the bags or a passenger on the bike? I must have missed that section!  :) 

I'm thinking that's only for the inferior Gen2 bikes...    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #473 on: February 07, 2015, 06:20:29 AM »
The manual says not to exceed 80mph with the bags or a passenger on the bike? I must have missed that section!  :) 

"Overloading the motorcycle with cargo and/or passengers, and/or not balancing the weight of items carried in each saddlebag may cause adverse handling, loss of control and an accident resulting in serious injury or death. Do not carry loads of more than 10 kg (22 lb) in each saddlebag. Distribute the load equally on both sides of the motorcycle to minimize imbalance. Do not exceed the total payload limit of 228 kg (503 lb), including rider, passenger, baggage, and accessories. Do not exceed the vehicle speed of 130 km/h (80 mph) when carrying a passenger and/or cargo. Also reduce speed according to road or weather condition, etc. Failure to adjust the speed to compensate for added weight and other conditions may result in a loss of control and subsequent accident."

Of course, it is silly- but I bet all motorcycles have similar types of warnings in their manuals.  Probably just liability stuff.

Offline tomp

« Reply #474 on: February 07, 2015, 08:50:51 AM »

Of course, it is silly- but I bet all motorcycles have similar types of warnings in their manuals.  Probably just liability stuff.
I agree about the liability angle.   Does it state if riding solo, you can ride WFO as much as you like?  If not, why make a motorcycle that can easily travel over 150 MPH?  So often corporate double speak is really way out there... tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #475 on: February 09, 2015, 01:24:30 PM »
"Overloading the motorcycle with cargo and/or passengers, and/or not balancing the weight of items carried in each saddlebag may cause adverse handling, loss of control and an accident resulting in serious injury or death. Do not carry loads of more than 10 kg (22 lb) in each saddlebag. Distribute the load equally on both sides of the motorcycle to minimize imbalance. Do not exceed the total payload limit of 228 kg (503 lb), including rider, passenger, baggage, and accessories. Do not exceed the vehicle speed of 130 km/h (80 mph) when carrying a passenger and/or cargo. Also reduce speed according to road or weather condition, etc. Failure to adjust the speed to compensate for added weight and other conditions may result in a loss of control and subsequent accident."

And change the iridium spark plugs every 7500 miles. I once had a gps that said "not to be used for primary navigation". Lawyers protecting people from lawyers and their own stupidity. What can you do?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #476 on: February 09, 2015, 01:27:29 PM »

You took that at a restaurant?  Wow- quite a nice view

NO, I'm at the restaurant on the mountain in the background.  Thats a faraway pic, guess its hard to see.  I went to that mountain right after I left this canyon near Moab. You should've been there  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #477 on: February 09, 2015, 01:32:31 PM »

So is that the Colorado River? I love 128 from Moab to I-70.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #478 on: February 09, 2015, 03:17:35 PM »
So is that the Colorado River? I love 128 from Moab to I-70.

Thats not my real pic, i was sarcastically replying to my sarcastic friend.  The bottom pic is mine.  But i love that route too!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #479 on: February 18, 2015, 06:46:15 AM »
~top, no one eating?