Author Topic: How much wind to push over a C14?  (Read 11457 times)

Offline Durandal

How much wind to push over a C14?
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:46:25 PM »
With all the storm activity we're getting in my neck of the woods, I got to wondering:  How heavy a wind gust would it take to push over my 2010 C14 when it's parked?  Anyone hazard a guess?

My first bike (2001 Suzuki LS650) would go over if you sneezed on it, it was so light.  My previous ride to the Connie was a V-Star 1100.  That thing practically laid on the ground already it was so low, so I never worried about it.  With the Connie's relatively high COG, I admit to being a little concerned.  I live in a townhouse, so no garage.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: How much wind to push over a C14?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:06:18 PM »
Don't sweat it. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 09:29:40 PM »
if you put your KiPass on the seat the bike it will untwist tornados into a soft spring breeze filled with the smell of jasmine
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »
You mainly need to worry if you have a cover on it.  Those things catch the wind and act like a sail.  Mine has sat out in some heavy wind, 40+ mph and been fine.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 02:37:04 AM »
Mine sits in 40ish gusts or so almost daily and hasn't fallen over.  I do expect it everyday though and take the time to park in a way the wind is hopefully pushing against the right side of the bike.  My friends bike went over in gusts in the 50's so it's possible.  2900 bucks damage for that one.  He has no luck.
T.S.R.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 04:54:35 AM »
For some reason a few folks think that it's a good idea to park the bike on the center stand. Not a good idea in the wind or if it's hot and you're parking on asphalt. If you’re worried about the wind, just make sure that you park the bike on the side stand with the right side facing into the wind.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline bob14

• go forth and meet the shadowy future without fear
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 05:24:54 AM »
For some reason a few folks think that it's a good idea to park the bike on the center stand. Not a good idea in the wind or if it's hot and you're parking on asphalt. If you’re worried about the wind, just make sure that you park the bike on the side stand with the right side facing into the wind.
+1

I saw a guy at work drill/tap the steel plate in the parking lot .When he parks he screws an eye bolt in and straps his KLR down with a tie down
2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Offline Lonerider

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 05:37:15 AM »

Transmission in first gear. One guy posted that he suspected the wind had rocked or pushed the bike forward enough to release the stand.
2009 ZG1400 Concours, 2003 SV1000, 1985 XV1000 Virago

Offline Stasch

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 07:05:25 AM »
Another option if possible is to use the CS and point the nose into the wind.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline mike

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 07:08:13 AM »
Park it in 1st gear on the sidestand wheel to the left stop.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 08:26:19 AM »
Another option if possible is to use the CS and point the nose into the wind.

I don't understand why anyone would park the bike on the CS when it's outside? (unless you're working on it or washing it) The bike on the CS is WAY more unstable than the side stand.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 08:47:03 AM »
I don't understand why anyone would park the bike on the CS when it's outside? (unless you're working on it or washing it) The bike on the CS is WAY more unstable than the side stand.

+1 on that.

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 09:20:59 AM »

+2 on that.

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 09:27:11 AM »
My 08 recently got blown over in the wind, onto her right side.... see, it's not ALWAYS the left side.  Broke the right mirror assembly, but that's about it.  the underside of the mirror's outter plastic was scratched, but the mirror itself did not break.  The real damage was to the aluminum structural piece underneath.  That was cracked, almost all the way through into 2 pieces.  I put a bunch of JB Weld on the top side, let it dry for a day, then applied ot to the underside of the aluminum bracket.  Put everything back together and you can't even tell (except for the scratches under the mirror).
I had the Dowco cover on, and they warn you about "ballooning" -  the cover catching air and causing a lot of drag.
-Last point, this bike had been lowered when I bought it.  I will be returning it to stock height, as a fellow COG member has sent me some of the stock brackets.  I'll take the Muzzy brackets off this weekend and send those to him.  I'll also push the forks back down- looks like they've been adjusted too. 
Long story short, if you lower the bike, get a shorter kickstand to compensate.  You think it's top heavy now--- lowering it makes it worse, at least when it's sitting still. 
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 09:45:29 AM »
Had my '08 get blown over as well with the stupid cover on it. Right side damage including total devastation of the mirror and saddlebag dashed to pieces. I think there were 45MPH+ wind gusts. I think the major reason was the cover and the bike was facing the LEFT side into the wind. I didn't realize we were supposed to get major wind gusts that day until it was too late.  >:(
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline Tom J.

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 10:23:09 AM »
I guess I got lucky then- the right-side saddle bag barely got touched.  I suppose your bike has not been lowered, and it still blew over? That sucks!  At least it wasn't your '09.  I put mine on the centerstand every day now.
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 10:32:07 AM »
I guess I got lucky then- the right-side saddle bag barely got touched.  I suppose your bike has not been lowered, and it still blew over? That sucks!  At least it wasn't your '09.  I put mine on the centerstand every day now.

Why the centerstand?   

Offline Tom J.

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 10:43:39 AM »
Because until this weekend (when I switch out the Muzzy brackets for the stock brackets), the bike is very close to being upright- I mean straight upright.  There is very little weight on the kickstand.  On the centerstand, the bike can take more wind before blowing over.  After I raise it back to stock height, I'll go back to using the kickstand.
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline Stasch

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 11:07:12 AM »
Quote from: Conrad on Today at 08:26:19 am
I don't understand why anyone would park the bike on the CS when it's outside?

Interesting that 3 people seemed to lean against this (no pun intended -  ;D ), so I'm curious to know why.

My reasoning is that CS is more stable than the sidestand, at least on my C10 - perhaps this is why the difference of opinion.

If I bump the C10 while on the SS, it off loads some of the weight off the suspension, which rises up and moves the bike closer to the center, often to the point that it wouldn't take a whole lot more force to get it past dead center and over on its side. 

Depending where I park and the wind, it doesn't seem as stable to me as the centerstand which doesn't have that 'flex' building into the scenario.

Interested to hear the reasoning for the dissenting opinions.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 11:07:41 AM »
Because until this weekend (when I switch out the Muzzy brackets for the stock brackets), the bike is very close to being upright- I mean straight upright.  There is very little weight on the kickstand.  On the centerstand, the bike can take more wind before blowing over.  After I raise it back to stock height, I'll go back to using the kickstand.

Oh yeah, I forgot that your bike is lowered. That makes sense.