Author Topic: Strange handling  (Read 8419 times)

Offline Z71

Strange handling
« on: February 02, 2013, 11:09:38 PM »
I have close to 5000 miles on my original tires and they are getting quite squared off as I live in Florida and ride mostly on straight roads.  Today I noticed that the bike felt weird - it was like I was running on car tires, not motorcycle tires. I know some have complained about the OEM tire bad handling, and I think I am experiencing just that.  These tires are really crappy it seems with some miles on them.   What did you get out of the OEM tires?  My bike is an '09 model.

Offline jsa

Re: Strange handling
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 11:20:22 PM »
I hit the wear bars on the rear at 3500 miles and the front was badly cupped.  The ride was crappy and it handled like an old pickup.

Offline Spanky

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 11:23:52 PM »
PR3's, PR2's, Angels, whatever you pick will be a huge improvement. You will wish you replaced the original rocks much earlier, especially when you go around the one curve in Florida.   ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 11:32:48 PM »
I have close to 5000 miles on my original tires

:o

My bike is an '09 model.

:o :o

Dude, you really need to ride more.

Offline Z71

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 12:00:08 AM »

:o

:o :o

Dude, you really need to ride more.

I have three other bikes which I ride more than this one. 

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 06:19:08 AM »
I had no issues with the oem tires, but I mostly ride curvy roads so they wore out fairly evenly.  I have the PR3s on their now and it feels like every new tire feels.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline curly

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 07:12:42 AM »
I have close to 5000 miles on my original tires and they are getting quite squared off as I live in Florida and ride mostly on straight roads.  Today I noticed that the bike felt weird - it was like I was running on car tires, not motorcycle tires. I know some have complained about the OEM tire bad handling, and I think I am experiencing just that.  These tires are really crappy it seems with some miles on them.    What did you get out of the OEM tires?  My bike is an '09 model.

Actually, the oem tires are crappy from the get-go.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 08:23:54 AM »
Correct, and if the OP is getting carppy handling then it's time for them to go before they do ill towards him.  Riders get anywhere from 3k miles to 8k+ miles.  Mine went 8k+ and I never experienced the handling go bad but others experience varies.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 08:26:03 AM »
A pair of PR 3's completely reforms the bike into a proper S/Tourer that will play well with the FJR's and ST 1300's you encounter. Just be sure to put a 190/55 on the rear instead of the std. size 190/50. The original 021 Bridgestones were the worst tires I have ever had, spooky and dangerous to the point I was going to sell the bike until I read the posts here and tried the Michelins- thanks, guys.

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 08:40:53 AM »
You've already figured out the problem. Wonky handling on the OEM Brickstones became unbearable for me on my '09 at 3500 miles. I replaced the treacherous rubber donuts from hell with Pirelli Angel ST's and never looked back. Quit worrying about how many miles you can get out of them, you're ruining the enjoyment of this great bike. You'll kick yourself for not doing it earlier once you feel the difference.
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline Z71

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 08:51:04 AM »
Correct, and if the OP is getting carppy handling then it's time for them to go before they do ill towards him.  Riders get anywhere from 3k miles to 8k+ miles.  Mine went 8k+ and I never experienced the handling go bad but others experience varies.

I am sure that it would handle a lot better if the tires were worn evenly.  Being squared off however, makes it much worse, especially in turns.  Yes, there are few curves here and there in Florida.   And everybody makes right and left turns at intersections. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 08:55:38 AM »
You've probably washed your bike too many times as well.  That's never good for it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Makz58

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 10:06:49 AM »
The OEMs for me were the worst tire I have had the displeasure of riding on in 40 years of riding....the front cupped badly and the rear squared off before I knew it. I had them slip on me three times during normal non aggresive cornering scared the beejesus out of me....tires gone now new PR 3s what a difference. Should have changed then out before picking up the bike.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline marku8a

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 10:31:16 AM »
Quit worrying about how many miles you can get out of them, you're ruining the enjoyment of this great bike. You'll kick yourself for not doing it earlier once you feel the difference.

Agreed! I made the same mistake and lived with the stones for 3500 miles. I put on PR2s a few weeks ago with a 190/55 rear. Wow! What a difference!!

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline katata1100

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 11:23:13 AM »
Actually, the oem tires are crappy from the get-go.
I wouldn't say that they were that bad-I thought they were ok for the first 1000 miles, that was the length of my ride home from the dealer.
Ok, maybe the first 500!
The rear squared out early, making handling feel like a school bus. The front tire went bald on the sides at around 4000 miles. I was on the last trip with these tires, thinking I'd get new PR3's when I got back. As worried as I was with the front looking like it was carved out of stone, saw steel belts showing out of the rear!
I am by no definition an aggressive rider, but PR3's on this bike made it feel like a different ride.
The oem Bridgestones have one purpose- help the bike roll out of the dealership.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 12:18:02 PM »
I am at about 5500 miles on the OEM tires.  There is no question the handling is getting worse and worse, but there seems to be a lot of life left in them still.  I was trying/hoping to coordinate the tire replacement with the next service interval at 7500 miles.  Should be interesting to see if they will make it.  PR3 is my plan.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline texrider

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 01:10:08 PM »
I've not tried the PR's or Angels yet, but highly recommend the Dunlop Sportmax Q2's as a replacement. Agree with using a 190/55 rear.
My next pair of tires may go on sooner than later, now that it appears I need to solder in some new TPS batteries. I'll be trying a set of Korean made Full Bore tires, that sort of resemble Shinko's, but have a very thick carcass.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 01:33:50 PM »
Agree with using a 190/55 rear.

As much as I have heard that advice, I simply can't take it, because it would raise the bike.  I need every mm I can get :(   

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline texrider

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 01:49:25 PM »
As much as I have heard that advice, I simply can't take it, because it would raise the bike.  I need every mm I can get :(   

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.0

Perhaps you could tolerate using the 180/55-17 and get the benefit of the profile, without so much height increase?
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Tim

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 02:16:17 PM »
I would imagine the stock tires would be fine for the flat lands. I live at the edge of the Cascades and can be on twisty roads in about 10 minutes. I ran the Stones for 3200 miles and put PR 2’s (PR3’s not invented yet) on the 09.  The PR2’s made the C14 feel like a new bike. The PR2’s built confidence on the bike from the first day I owned them and I did not have to fight them. I made it to 15K with the 2’s and at the end they handled about as well as a stock stone. Next set was the 3’s. The rear 3 didn’t wear as well as a 2. The front 3 is wearing very well. Today for me if I put new rubber on my 14 the combo would be stock sizes with a PR3 up front and a PR2 on the rear.
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.