Author Topic: Extended Warranty  (Read 8249 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Extended Warranty
« on: January 28, 2013, 08:39:28 AM »
Is there any place still selling extended warranty? My warranty is about up and the local dealer is charging $682 for additional 3 years.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Broz

Re: Extended Warranty
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 08:51:16 AM »
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=225.0
Ultimate cycles in Richmond VA is still the place.   I got it for $339 in December I think Pete is the guy to talk to.
Semper Fi
Broz
2012 C-14.  Black

Offline rush2112

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 11:27:29 AM »
Why the strange differences in cost for this plan? Is this a "dealer specific" call on what to charge for it?

I just received my notice from Kawi and the 3-year plan is ~$900!

I have an email in to my local dealer to see what they're charging.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 11:35:12 AM »
Well, actually it is a letter that says $682. I think the local dealer quoted about $550 - $580 last year when I checked.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 11:44:19 AM »
Strictly depends on how much the dealer wants to rape you for. Pete's price is probably not much above cost.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 12:13:15 PM »
I left a voice mail for Pete. Will email the info to him as soon as I get home.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 12:22:30 PM »
Strictly depends on how much the dealer wants to rape you for. Pete's price is probably not much above cost.

Cost is $310, which is what I paid just last month.  :)

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 02:01:59 PM »
 :goodpost:

Right on the money! I got mine for $339.00 a couple of years ago using this information and I understand I can get another 3 years when the times comes.
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 02:21:14 PM »
I'm self insured. I've been self insuring for extended warranty on all my vehicles for decades now. If I added up all the money I've saved over the years by not buying the extended warranty it more then covers any major repair on any vehicle I own.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 02:36:11 PM »
I'm self insured. I've been self insuring for extended warranty on all my vehicles for decades now. If I added up all the money I've saved over the years by not buying the extended warranty it more then covers any major repair on any vehicle I own.

This is the first time I've ever bought an extended warranty on any car or bike in my life, I thought it justified for $310 though, if nothing else it covers TPS replacements for 6 years, anything else that goes wrong is just frosting...
 :)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 03:12:41 PM »

This is the first time I've ever bought an extended warranty on any car or bike in my life, I thought it justified for $310 though, if nothing else it covers TPS replacements for 6 years, anything else that goes wrong is just frosting...

As sweet as your green will be, they'll cover any scratches you may incur too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 03:30:49 PM »
As sweet as your green will be, they'll cover any scratches you may incur too

;D :chugbeer:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 03:49:16 PM »
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=225.0
Ultimate cycles in Richmond VA is still the place.   I got it for $339 in December I think Pete is the guy to talk to.

+1 that is where I bought mine.  Besides, I am "from" Richmond :)

I find it amazing they will sell it that low, but really, it takes them maybe 10 minutes of paperwork with zero risk, zero inventory, and almost zero overhead.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 03:51:23 PM »
This is the first time I've ever bought an extended warranty on any car or bike in my life, I thought it justified for $310 though, if nothing else it covers TPS replacements for 6 years, anything else that goes wrong is just frosting...  :) 

Exactly.  I *NEVER* buy extended warranties.  This is the first time I ever did- and the reason?  At $3XX it is just so insanely low priced it is almost crazy not to.  Just one set of TPS and it would pay for itself.  And since it is transferable, it is a GREAT selling point, if I ever had to sell the bike.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 05:34:12 PM »
If your in Florida it is minimum $600. Some how lawyers got involved and made the price jump up but only in Florida. 
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 05:39:04 PM »
If your in Florida it is minimum $600. Some how lawyers got involved and made the price jump up but only in Florida.

Politicians wrote those rules, although most of them are lawyers and you're right. FL law considers it an insurance policy, not an extended warranty. So...   gotta' buy in FL.  Although others have bought out of state, I don't want to risk having to take a broken bike out of state for a warranty to be valid =)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 05:47:57 PM »
Kawasaki is betting on folks that don't ride much.  No matter if  we pay $200 or $700, if you don't ride much are you getting value?  Or paying for much?

When the statisticians figure the insurance offerings, they are betting on an investment that they take in much more insurance $ from consumers than they pay out in claims.

That being said, I'm going to kill 'em with mileage.  And miles per dollar spent on extended warranty will may be lowwwwww on my bike compared to most if i keep riding it like i do.

For example, I've spoke with a guy thats on his second extended warranty.  I asked i he's ever had a claim and he said no.  I asked how many miles his '08 has, and he's clocked around 35K.  I'll be double that soon and I'm still on original factory warranty =)

Offline rush2112

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 07:02:18 PM »
Exactly.  I *NEVER* buy extended warranties.  This is the first time I ever did- and the reason?  At $3XX it is just so insanely low priced it is almost crazy not to.  Just one set of TPS and it would pay for itself.  And since it is transferable, it is a GREAT selling point, if I ever had to sell the bike.

Prime example, my front TPS replacement and head cover gasket replacement last week was $1,000!!! The TPS alone was $336.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Offline Spanky

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 07:24:52 PM »
I took advantage of the deal VirginiaJim set up with his dealership. About $100 per year is worth it to me for the peace of mind. I will have the bike for at least 6 years total and I average about 15k per year, so it is well worth it in my opinion. Like insurance, I hope I never have to use it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 05:25:08 AM »

+2
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn