Author Topic: c-14 Final drive temperature  (Read 6027 times)

Offline mike-s4

c-14 Final drive temperature
« on: May 31, 2011, 05:45:10 PM »
Hi guys,
After a short ride I checked my final drive and it seemed quite warm. I could keep my hand on it but not for a long time. I'll borrow a digital temp gauge next week and get an exact temperature. Bike runs perfect and no noise.
Is this normal?   

Mike

PS- Oil is at the correct level with 80w90 gl 5. 

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: c-14 Final drive temperature
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 05:48:11 PM »
Seriously? :o
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Rawman

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »
LOL, I resisted the urge (until now) to reply.....

If you cycle through the gauges, you will find the rear differential oil temp and final drive temperatures, let us know what yours reads.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 05:59:10 PM »
Rawman,
My bike is a Canadian model and has the exhaust temperature instead of final drive temperature on the digital readout.

Seriously, is it supposed to run hot? 

Offline mike

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 06:06:47 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »

Yes. Quite.
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline Rawman

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 06:09:58 PM »
Rawman,
My bike is a Canadian model and has the exhaust temperature instead of final drive temperature on the digital readout.

Good one....

I would imagine it would build up a lot of heat. It converts the power from the transmission to the rear differential.  Metal gears on metal gears with some moly paste on them with universal joints all spinning at ungodly RPMs.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 06:20:36 PM »
Bike just turned 50.000 km. I had never checked the temperature before and thought it might be starting to go bad on me.  I feel better now that it's not just mine getting hot.  Love this forum!  Thanks.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 06:28:25 PM »
My final drive is warm enough that I can set a Hot Pocket on it, then three minutes later.......... I have lunch. 

Just wait until the weekly KiPass thread gets going...................

I'm sure the obligatory Kirby photo and the fob in a drink will show up again.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 06:47:40 PM »
Wow, touch crowd, eh?

Yes, the final drive will get hot due to power consumption between the gears primarily. The power lost in a shaft drive bike is really mostly consumed in the final drive rather than the driveshaft. All that power gets turned into heat and is radiated off (air cooled). Perfectly normal.

Brian

Hi guys,
After a short ride I checked my final drive and it seemed quite warm. I could keep my hand on it but not for a long time. I'll borrow a digital temp gauge next week and get an exact temperature. Bike runs perfect and no noise.
Is this normal?   

Mike

PS- Oil is at the correct level with 80w90 gl 5.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 06:53:19 PM »
Thanks Brian,
I understand that final drive failures on the C-14 are quite rare. I am happy that the temp is normal.

Mike

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 07:10:51 PM »
I don't know of any actual drive failures although some of us have had seal failures, me included. A new seal and mine is fine at 62K miles.

A lot of the parts in a C-14 final drive come from a C-10 drive so they are 'battle tested' and not new designs. C-10's certainly do not have a record of final drive failures being common.

Brian

Thanks Brian,
I understand that final drive failures on the C-14 are quite rare. I am happy that the temp is normal.

Mike
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jonathan

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 01:42:33 PM »
There have been 2 or 3 documented final drive failures. One of them was catastrophic enough to shatter the left side exhaust hanger/pass foot peg.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 02:00:47 PM »
Two or three documented failures on nearly a 20 year run.  I don't think that's too bad all things considered.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 02:35:54 PM »
The failure I believe you are talking about, at least the one I remember was a driveshaft failure, not a final drive failure. There have been a few (a handful) of driveshaft problems on C-14s but only the one catastrophic failure that I am aware of, the others were caught through vibration and / or inspection. There have also been a very few bevel gear assembly failures but again nothing catastrophic, just noise as the main symptom as I remember.

If there are documented cases, could you please point to the documentation?

Brian

There have been 2 or 3 documented final drive failures. One of them was catastrophic enough to shatter the left side exhaust hanger/pass foot peg.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »

What left side exhaust hanger?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 02:56:09 PM »
Think he's talking about a C10.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
Think he's talking about a C10.

Um, nevermind then.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 03:06:31 PM »
 Final drive failures were so common on LT's that there was someone who used a point and shoot thermometer and logged the temps in hopes of predicting FD death....I don't think it worked but I know its  was hot ;D ;D
       Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?