Author Topic: Return Route From North End of the Blue Ridge Parkway  (Read 4849 times)

Offline rumblecow

Return Route From North End of the Blue Ridge Parkway
« on: January 23, 2013, 07:59:12 AM »
I'm planning to ride the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway from the south this spring. I've ridden to Asheville numerous times but never had the time to continue further north.  I wanted to take my time and originally planned on making it last three days.  Although there is plenty to see there isn't much to do so short of adhering to the 45 mph speed limit I can't figure out how to stretch it out. As such, I'm looking for a fun/interesting/sporty route back to Atlanta from where the Parkway end at I-64.  I haven't been able to find much using the terrain view on Google and thought I would use the collective knowledge of the group.  Heading northwest seems a clear choice but I-81 looks dreadful.  Any recommendations?

......... =o&o>

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: Return Route From North End of the Blue Ridge Parkway
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 06:11:50 PM »
1) Continue on up the Skyline Drive to Front Royal VA.

2) Go back the same way you came.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline rumblecow

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 06:41:33 PM »
1) Continue on up the Skyline Drive to Front Royal VA.

2) Go back the same way you came.

Not so much what I'm looking for but thanks.  I'm looking more for alternate routes back to Atlanta from the north end of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
......... =o&o>

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 08:32:38 PM »
You could go east to the coast, and travel down the outer banks of NC. I would avoid the Charlotte/Greensboro/Raleigh area, kinda flat and metro traffic issues like Atlanta.
2008 C-14

Offline rumblecow

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 05:30:36 AM »
You could go east to the coast, and travel down the outer banks of NC. I would avoid the Charlotte/Greensboro/Raleigh area, kinda flat and metro traffic issues like Atlanta.

Are there any good roads you would recommend?
......... =o&o>

Offline nyconcours

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 01:32:10 PM »
I am sure by the time you get north you will be bored of the BRP.  The southern end is the better end.  From anywhere in Vir head west to W. Vir.  I cannot recall all the routes but I think 33 or 55 will get you up and over the moutians to Seneca Rocks.  Great riding and then head back south.

Offline rumblecow

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 01:36:59 PM »
I am sure by the time you get north you will be bored of the BRP.  The southern end is the better end.  From anywhere in Vir head west to W. Vir.  I cannot recall all the routes but I think 33 or 55 will get you up and over the moutians to Seneca Rocks.  Great riding and then head back south.

Awesome!  28 to Seneca Rocks looks great as well as 33/55 west.  Thanks for the recommendation.
......... =o&o>

Offline nyconcours

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 02:21:56 PM »
Awesome!  28 to Seneca Rocks looks great as well as 33/55 west.  Thanks for the recommendation.

A couple of years ago I found my way from Seneca Rocks into KY to find 421, what a road, worth finding.

Offline rumblecow

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 02:27:02 PM »
A couple of years ago I found my way from Seneca Rocks into KY to find 421, what a road, worth finding.

Looks awesome.  I will have to add to route.  Thanks again.
......... =o&o>

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 01:22:08 PM »
when the BRP ends at rt 64 in Waynesboro / Afton Mtn., hit 340 and run N to Elkton, then turn west on 33 thru Harrisonburg and continue to Elkins W.Va., super nice ride, and only a couple hours.
33, 250, and 39 are all favorite E/W routes to 219...and ALL have twisties!!!
Turn South onto 219 and run that south, to the W.Va. / Va. line, and pick up 460 W./S.W, 460/19 to Tazwell Va. picking up 16 S, an AWESOME road also....continue to Hungry Mother State park and Rt 11 in Marion.
Good clean/CHEAP lodging and food there, stay there many times.
From there, 16 runs s, and hits rt 58 W. to Abbingdon, this is called "The Crooked Road....famous, although I prefer to ride it west to east going uphill... more fun, going west it is a downhill road. (it runs into the aforementioned 421)
or
Pick up 11 S there, and it parallels rt 81, but is nice.
Near Greenville Tn. you can split off in a couple directions, but i'd head back over the the BRP there...via 107/70 to jump on near Revere....

from there you can run wherever ;) 8)

ride safe

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline rumblecow

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 02:54:37 PM »
when the BRP ends at rt 64 in Waynesboro / Afton Mtn., hit 340 and run N to Elkton, then turn west on 33 thru Harrisonburg and continue to Elkins W.Va., super nice ride, and only a couple hours.
Turn South onto 219 and run that south, to the W.Va. / Va. line, and pick up 460 W./S.W, 460/19 to Tazwell Va. picking up 16 S, an AWESOME road also....continue to Hungry Mother State park and Rt 11 in Marion.
From there, 16 runs s, and hits rt 58 W. to Abbingdon, this is called "The Crooked Road....famous, although I prefer to ride it west to east going uphill... more fun, going west it is a downhill road. (it runs into the aforementioned 421)
or
Near Greenville Tn. you can split off in a couple directions, but i'd head back over the the BRP there...via 107/70 to jump on near Revere....

ride safe

Thank you.  That looks good indeed.
......... =o&o>

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 01:18:17 AM »
would definitely try to catch hwy 421  from bristol to mountain city(known as the snake locally) also while around marion,va or west jefferson,nc check out a place called shatley springs for great eats(family style) or the daniel boone inn inn in boone,nc.
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 01:14:46 PM »
or

ride safe
I've been on most of those roads. VA16 is simply marvelous, and none of them suck. Yeehaw!
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 01:55:11 PM »
Gonna have to bookmark this, been looking for a way north from the south and that looks great