Author Topic: Shad 50 mounting  (Read 7192 times)

Offline PH14

Shad 50 mounting
« on: January 20, 2013, 09:56:35 AM »
I am considering a Shad 50. I searched and found some info, but specifically I am wondering if you need to buy the mounting kit from Murph if you use one of Philip's racks.

Thanks
Phil

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
Re: Shad 50 mounting
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »
ALL brands of trunks, except Givi Monokey, require a universal mounting plate. I have a Shad 50 on my rack and it requires the included mounting plate. I have T-nut sets (4) that make installation really easy and adjusting the trunk position only requires a single Allen wrench and a couple minutes. 
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline PH14

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 10:38:16 AM »
ALL brands of trunks, except Givi Monokey, require a universal mounting plate. I have a Shad 50 on my rack and it requires the included mounting plate. I have T-nut sets (4) that make installation really easy and adjusting the trunk position only requires a single Allen wrench and a couple minutes.

Thanks Philip. I guess what is confusing me is whether or not I need the mounting kit, since I keep seeing people saying the mounting plate is included. Murph has a link to a mounting kit. Is that the mounting plate?

Thanks!

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 03:56:20 PM »
I see the reason for the confusion, since there isn't a photo of the $50 mounting kit, I can't tell if that is a "universal mounting plate". Usually it's included with the trunk as the trunk cannot function without it. Why don't you contact Murph and ask him what the Kit includes. My Shad-50 came with the univ. mounting plate, and I've seen others that came with the plate and it is an improved version over my old one, consisting of a steel plate and plastic cover to which the trunk latches. Maybe someone else who purchased the trunk can clear up Phil's question..

Offline PH14

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 08:54:21 PM »
I see the reason for the confusion, since there isn't a photo of the $50 mounting kit, I can't tell if that is a "universal mounting plate". Usually it's included with the trunk as the trunk cannot function without it. Why don't you contact Murph and ask him what the Kit includes. My Shad-50 came with the univ. mounting plate, and I've seen others that came with the plate and it is an improved version over my old one, consisting of a steel plate and plastic cover to which the trunk latches. Maybe someone else who purchased the trunk can clear up Phil's question..

Thanks Philip! Yeah, it is a bit confusing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 04:56:36 AM »
My Shad46 included the mounting plate which I just attached to the rear rails.  The sandwich holder (useless piece of plastic) is on a shelf gathering dust.  The only safe place for it.  It's virtually worthless to hold any weight or anything of significance.

Phil, I didn't realize that your rack could accommodate the Shad plate.  Interesting.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 08:13:05 AM »
My Shad46 included the mounting plate which I just attached to the rear rails.  The sandwich holder (useless piece of plastic) is on a shelf gathering dust.  The only safe place for it.  It's virtually worthless to hold any weight or anything of significance.

Phil, I didn't realize that your rack could accommodate the Shad plate.  Interesting.

So you are saying the "useless piece of plastic" is the mounting kit?

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 08:42:12 AM »
I think he's referring to the stock rack as useless. The Shad mounting plate is actually the strongest I've seen. Most are two piece plastic while the Shad is steel with a plastic cover, at least the last one I saw was.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 09:01:12 AM »
I ordered new T-bolts for my Shad 50 base yesterday. I will mount it this weekend.   
FYI- Dont mount a Shad50 on a KLR. It creates too much turbulence at 82mph and above.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 09:25:29 AM »

So you are saying the "useless piece of plastic" is the mounting kit?

Phil is correct.  The stock rack is a POS.  We've had reports of the 'new' rack replaced during recall on the classic bikes having issues as well. The plate for my Shad46 is very well put together and hold the case securely but I'm entertaining the thought of getting one from Phil after I saw one in the flesh yesterday.  It's a marvel.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 03:26:13 AM »
Okay, I understand the stock rack is  POS, what I want to know is, what the mounting kit is that Muph sells, and if it is necessary for use with Philip's aftermarket rack. I'll have to contact Murph I guess. At the moment I'm traveling.

Thanks,
Phil

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 04:59:57 AM »
Yes you need it.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline PH14

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »
Yes you need it.

Thanks, but can someone tell me what it is? That is what I need to know.

Thanks!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »
You're gonna have to talk to Murph.  My 46 uses the plate and plastic cover but I don't remember if it was the universal or something required specifically for the C14.  The more I think about it the more I'm thinking that I used the universal plate instead of something specific to the bike.  I'm looking at my receipts now to see what I paid for...

At the time, and this was in 2007, I only paid for the case, nothing extra.  So whatever came with it is what I used.  Now bear in mind, this case has been redesigned since then so I'm not sure how valid my info is.  I do think I had to drill some holes in it to fit better and use some washers as spacers.  I don't think there was a kit specifically for the C14 then as it was too new.....but I could be wrong.  I have been in the past, but then again, I could be right.  I have been in the past.  Talk to Murph.

This is the included plate according to Shad...

http://www.shad.es/en/shad-usa/products/cases/top-cases/sh50/c17r29/
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:56:14 PM by VirginiaJim »

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 12:39:17 PM »
It is a flat plate with ears that the box clips into near the seat.  At the rearmost end the lock grabs the plate.

The plate is universal.  The mount hardware is bike specific.  The c14 hardware kit replaces the oem plastic rack mounting bolts and mounts the rack and the oem plastic.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:18:42 PM by blue14 »
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline katata1100

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 09:00:29 AM »
I got my Shad 50 last year. The mounting plate mounted on top of the stock flimsy rack. As stated before, it came with new longer bolts. It made the stock flimsy rack less flimsy.
The trunk slides right on to it. If you lift the trunk handle up, you can slide the trunk off and carry with you are just ride with out it.
Without the trunk on it, the rear rack with mount doesn't look ugly.
While driving, the trunk will wiggle ever so slightly from flex in the rack, more like a vibration. I have traveled 3000 miles with the thing loaded up, no problems.

Offline JerBear

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 06:15:56 PM »
I bought a Shad 50L from Murph and it comes with a standard mounting plate that is made of stamped metal and a plastic cover that fits over it that has rubber bumpers that the top case rests on.  If you have a proper rack IE: not the stock plastic crappy junk that come with the bike but something like what Phil makes.  Check out philsfarkels to see what I mean.  There are others out there that will also work but I made my own from the same type of material and design type that Phil did (thanks for the inspiration Phil).  The most important requirement is that it is rigid and large enough to hold a large case like the 50L Shad.  If the rack has been replaced you do not need to order anything else, what Murph sells you will do the job but like Phil said he sells the tee nuts that really make the job simple.   If you do not have access to a cad design program and vertical machining center like I did, the rack from Phil is a steal for the price and really looks great when you remove all the mounting base stuff that holds the top case!   ;D

In my opinion the Shad is the best case for the money, it come with the mounting plate and the back rest cushion that most others charge you for.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline katata1100

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 07:44:19 PM »

In my opinion the Shad is the best case for the money, it come with the mounting plate and the back rest cushion that most others charge you for.

If I were to get a case today, I wouldn't get a Shad. It was pretty hard finding a top plate as no one had one and dealers that I talked to said that they left messages to Shad that were not returned; I hate to think what would happen if I needed a part replaced like a lock or something.
FWIW, the trunk looks like it is missing something on the top and it is- a plate! I finally got a plastic cover plate and some matching silver paint from Color Rite and painted it and the side trim to match the bike.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 04:23:37 AM »
I had problems with my Givi on the C10 (connections for the brake light).  I've had none on my Shad46 on the C14.  If I were to get a larger case it would be the Shad.  It's held up better than the Givi, at least for me.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 11:32:24 AM »
I'd feel better about going with GIVI simply because I noticed that they have warehouse near Summit in Sparks, NV.