Author Topic: how to take a Jeep apart  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Bryn

• Leicestershire.... in the heart of England
how to take a Jeep apart
« on: December 11, 2012, 10:34:16 AM »
Neat vid of a Willeys Jeep being pulled apart.  8)

Rebuild a Jeep under 4 minutes

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: how to take a Jeep apart
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 11:06:41 AM »
Cool video but certainly not a stock jeep. Must have some kind of quick connects for things like steering and exhaust. But what about brakes? How was that done? Definitely not hydraulic.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 11:20:58 AM »
Coincidence...

I've been scanning some of my dad's slides this AM, I got them when mom died earlier this year.
This thread came up as this slide (attached) was in the scanner. All I could think about was "I wonder how long it'd take..."

WWII, Peliliu. Sorry about the dust specs, the slide is a wee bit old.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 11:27:10 AM »
Klinger tried eating one....
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 12:32:09 PM »
Coincidence...

I've been scanning some of my dad's slides this AM, I got them when mom died earlier this year.
This thread came up as this slide (attached) was in the scanner. All I could think about was "I wonder how long it'd take..."

WWII, Peliliu. Sorry about the dust specs, the slide is a wee bit old.

Rick

Great picture, Rick.  Please post some more if you can.  I got all my dad's slides done that he took while in the AF in the late 50's/60's.  They came out really well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »
I'll try, I have thousands to scan though.

Again, coincidence... Dad went through some training (basic I think) at Camp Livingston, LA; and received final training at Camp Lee... which is close to you I understand.

Rick

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »
I think my dad went through Livingston before going on to Texas.  Not sure of that, though.  I just went through Fort Lee this past Saturday on the way to Williamsburg.  My dad fought the Japanese in the Philippines in 1945.  He was part of a 4.2inch chemical mortar platoon.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
I wish it was that easy! I spent over 2 hours dropping my transmission out of my 1945 Ford GPW (jeep) last weekend. I just got parts today and will be reinstalling probably this weekend. Oh here's a pic of me and the jeep at a WWII event.

Here's a pic with a few friends.

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »
NASCAR would be envious
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 07:09:53 PM »
I wish it was that easy! I spent over 2 hours dropping my transmission out of my 1945 Ford GPW (jeep) last weekend. I just got parts today and will be reinstalling probably this weekend. Oh here's a pic of me and the jeep at a WWII event.

Here's a pic with a few friends.

Jim M.:  Wow, what a great rig!!  Is that M2 functional?
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 07:48:18 PM »
Great pics in this thread
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline booger

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 08:56:46 PM »
Several years ago I was broadsided in my CJ going 70 MPH.  Highway Patrol estimated I flipped it 7-9 times.  It came apart relatively quick ;)

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 09:12:05 PM »
... My dad fought the Japanese in the Philippines in 1945.  He was part of a 4.2inch chemical mortar platoon.

May have crossed paths. My dad was 301st quartermaster corp., mustered out as Msgt. Luzon, Guadalcanal, and Peliliu (Palau). He probably requisitioned any/all the duds for your dads platoon ;)

Rick

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 12:59:05 AM »
My father was an artilleryman with the 555th Field Artillery, 105 mm Howitzer battalion.  He was stationed at Scofield Barracks during the attack on Pearl Harbor, narrowly missed getting hit by a strafing run.  Later island-hopped all the way across, Guadalcanal, Phillipines also, and some other places I don't have details on.  Later, spent some time in Japan after the surrender.  Then Korea.  He went through all that, and then was brought down by lung cancer from all those Lucky Strikes. Wouldn't it be funny if they had met??

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 04:08:46 AM »
I don't know if you've done this yet but you could try to get his military records from St. Louis.  I did with mine.  Found out so much from them on WWII and AF career.  Some records were lost in a big fire they had in the 70's.  I got lucky and my dad's were still there.

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 06:34:45 AM »
I don't know if you've done this yet but you could try to get his military records from St. Louis.  I did with mine.  Found out so much from them on WWII and AF career.  Some records were lost in a big fire they had in the 70's.  I got lucky and my dad's were still there.

Yes, Jim, I tried that a long time ago, and that's the answer I got.  I was assisted by a woman whose name and rank I don't remember, but she was the commander of the state VFW.  After repeated enquiries and letters, the best we could come up with was that his records were lost in the big fire.  I have a few old papers, his Purple Heart, Good Conduct Medal, campaign ribbons, and other citations along with their papers, etc.  Also a bunch of wartime photos, and some old pics of his outfit at Camp Lewis and other places with their field pieces, horse teams, etc.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 08:47:23 AM »
Jim M.:  Wow, what a great rig!!  Is that M2 functional?

The M2 is non-functional, but I built it so I can add a gas firing kit. With oxygen/acetylene, a couple solenoids, an igniter and contoller, it will cycle and blow fire and noise like a real one without all the ATF hassle. I built the gun out of some scrap metal and pipe I had laying around.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 02:36:56 PM »
Cool video but certainly not a stock jeep. Must have some kind of quick connects for things like steering and exhaust. But what about brakes? How was that done? Definitely not hydraulic.

JC Whitney carries those fiberglass aftermarket bodies.  I'm sure the frame is original.