Author Topic: windscreen motor failure  (Read 5059 times)

Offline So Cal Joe

windscreen motor failure
« on: December 11, 2012, 06:12:01 AM »
A friend of mine bought a new 09 Concours 14 about a year and a half back. He had the 600 mile service done and found out there was no oil in the final drive and it had to be replaced. Now with only about 1500 miles on it the windscreen will not go up or down, he took it in and they said the plastic gear was stripped and had to be replace. This is done under warranty but a bike with that low of miles and already having 2 problems is unusual. He lives in Calif 6 months and Washington 6 months and leaves the bike in Calif when he is in Washington, that is why it is so low mileage. Anyone else have any windscreen trouble. I had 15,000 miles on my 09 when I sold it and had a big windscreen on it and never had a problem.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline tjpgi

Re: windscreen motor failure
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 07:20:29 AM »
09 12,000 miles. no warranty problems so far
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 07:39:49 AM »
With all those issues, I'd replace the battery in the FOB with a fresh one too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 07:42:21 AM »
We've had a few reports of the mechanism stripping the gears, but that's it.  It's rare.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 08:28:49 AM »
A friend of mine bought a new 09 Concours 14 about a year and a half back. He had the 600 mile service done and found out there was no oil in the final drive and it had to be replaced. Now with only about 1500 miles on it the windscreen will not go up or down, he took it in and they said the plastic gear was stripped and had to be replace. This is done under warranty but a bike with that low of miles and already having 2 problems is unusual. He lives in Calif 6 months and Washington 6 months and leaves the bike in Calif when he is in Washington, that is why it is so low mileage. Anyone else have any windscreen trouble. I had 15,000 miles on my 09 when I sold it and had a big windscreen on it and never had a problem.

The lack of oil in the final drive is on the poor dealer prep, not Kawasaki. Your friend never noticed the final drive getting hot? It must have been really noisy too!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline novacon

• nova scotia t
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 11:41:29 AM »
Not To take this off topic ( no prob with my windscreen )} but did you buy another bike Joe ?
2010 connie

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 12:19:25 PM »
About a year after I bought My 08, My windshield stopped working, while I was on a ride with some friends. Stopped to eat, and still no workie. Made a couple more stops, and still nothing. I had made up My mind to take it in the next day, but I tried it that morning, and it was working fine??? No problems since. Figure that one out.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 11:27:10 PM »
Try giving lubricant spray switch and connector. ;)

MGvalerio. 8)
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 12:24:26 AM »
I have an '09 in the fastest color, and nary a problem in 15,000 miles. After I removed the shitty OEM Bridgestones, I bought PR 2's and had the sag-set done. Now it really loves to boogie around the mountain canyons of SoCal, and I get a lot of compliments from the sporty crowd. This bike is my favorite by far after more than 30 years in the saddle, and the only complaint I have is the sometimes crazy laughter I hear from inside the helmet- must be a gremlin. It likes to smoke the BMW's and ST-1300's it encounters along the way, and the biggest problem is keeping my eye on the speedo because the bike is like buttah at highly illegal speeds.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »
When I was looking at the C-14 on the show-room floor, the salesman told me the windscreen mechanism was NOT to be used while the bike was moving more than 30 miles per hour! He said the mechanism would fail if it was used at speed and it would not be covered under warranty! I told him that was a deal-breaker and I wouldn't buy the bike.  I bought mine at a different dealership, 17,000 miles and no problems..
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 03:50:04 PM »
When I was looking at the C-14 on the show-room floor, the salesman told me the windscreen mechanism was NOT to be used while the bike was moving more than 30 miles per hour! He said the mechanism would fail if it was used at speed and it would not be covered under warranty! I told him that was a deal-breaker and I wouldn't buy the bike.  I bought mine at a different dealership, 17,000 miles and no problems..

Mine should've broken a long time ago then.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 04:03:03 PM »

Mine should've broken a long time ago then.

+1...

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 06:03:41 PM »
Not To take this off topic ( no prob with my windscreen )} but did you buy another bike Joe ?
Yes I did, I bought a cruiser A Honda shadow Sabre 1100, The Concours was a great bike, fast and great handling but I just couldn't get comfortable on it. This shadow is no Concours of course but it is comfortable I really like it.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 06:08:52 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Slideways

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 09:41:13 PM »
Jeez, I hope the motorized windscreen treats me well as it is one of my favorite features of my '08 C14. Seriously that thing is up and down constantly.
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 11:47:37 PM »
I'd be surprised if the failure rate is 1 in 1000. Probably less than that.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline pistole

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 12:14:48 AM »
- personally , i tend to baby the bike and will slow down before adjusting the screen.

- the owner's manual makes no mention of needing to do so , though.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 03:50:23 AM »
We can move ours (08) as there is no warning message in the manual or on the screen that I'm aware of.  I really think that came out in the newer, less faster bikes.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 04:39:57 AM »

+1...

+2

We can move ours (08) as there is no warning message in the manual or on the screen that I'm aware of.  I really think that came out in the newer, less faster bikes.

Geeze, the gen 2s are slower, less fun, AND less durable?    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 04:42:16 AM »
Yep, it's a shame isn't it?