Author Topic: Installing HELLA FF50 Driving lights.  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Tele130

Installing HELLA FF50 Driving lights.
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
Good morning guys.  Hope everyone is well and keeping warm.

I'm installing a set of Hella FF50 driving lights and need a little assistance with the wiring.  I'm using a "Eastern Beaver's Power Center-8" Fuse Block http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/PC-8/pc-8.html#30ashorty.

I know this is not legal (but neither is the way I ride most of the time.)  ;).  I'm going to hook them up DIRECTLY to my On/Off switch.  Since I've installed an HID headlight system I've never had a need for the high beam..........(So why the driving lights you ask?  I want the "Triangle of Lights" up front with a wider light pattern in front of me for those 1:30 AM departures on the back country roads).  So now my question: 

The GREEN wire that is supposed to be connected to the "Low Beam" wire that is coming from the relay gets hooked up where?  Is that a "Power Out" line from my On/Off switch?
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Installing HELLA FF50 Driving lights.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 09:48:47 AM »
The GREEN wire that is supposed to be connected to the "Low Beam" wire that is coming from the relay gets hooked up where?  Is that a "Power Out" line from my On/Off switch?
Assuming that the lights are designed to go on only with the low beams, you're probably correct.  If the relay is a standard type, that GREEN wire should be connected to a terminal labeled "86".  (85 to ground, 87 to your lights, and 30 to the fuse block.)

If so, that's the wire that triggers the relay, and can be connected to your switch to turn the lights on and off.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
One of these may help...
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Tele130

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:27:19 AM »
I just wanted to get this through my thick head so please bear with me.  The GREEN wire (shown in the diagram as the Black and White striped wire) coming from the relay will be connected to the "Power Out" side of the On/Off switch?  And I'll need to run a separate Power wire from a Switchable source to the On/Off switch.  The Red wire coming from the relay gets hooked up to the battery (+) side that powers the relay, the GREEN wire (Black & White wire in the diagram) that will be connected to the Power Out side of the On/Off switch allows the magnets in the relay to close allowing flow to the lights?

Sorry for the "Dummy" questions.  I always have to get it straight in my head before I start working on a "Mod" or project.........a plan of action if you will.

Doug Colton

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:00:47 AM »
What I understand from your diagram is pretty much what you said.  The "GREEN" wire is serving as a "trip" for the relay to send power to the lights either from the low or high depending on which wire you choose.  The way they drew the diagram it would seem they are leaving a switch as an optional item that you can add, and then show you how to do it in the smaller box diagram.  They are using a lighted switch, that is why there are three wires to it (additional ground).

If you wish your lights to come on at anytime and only controlled by the switch, select any other wire on the the bike that is hot only when the ignition is on.

I think I said all this correctly.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 11:57:04 AM »
As I see it:

Black - (-) from batt.
Red - (+) from batt
Blue - Power out to lights
Green - Trip to turn lights off/on. The wire goes to your separate switch for the lights.

Offline redandblack

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 07:09:42 AM »
I had these on my Connie, on a seperate toggle but linked to the high beams.  They are very bright, and absolutely saved my butt one night when I was able to spot 2 deer crossing the road in front of me at 50mph.  I don't think you would want them on with the low beams. 

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
I had these on my Connie, on a seperate toggle but linked to the high beams.  They are very bright, and absolutely saved my butt one night when I was able to spot 2 deer crossing the road in front of me at 50mph.  I don't think you would want them on with the low beams.
I think it depends on lot on how you use them and aim them. With my HID I do not need light down the road but at the side looking for eyes. I leave them on all the time but most of my (limited) night riding is 4 lane. I sure like the combo. It is also nice having a backup should the main fail.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Tele130

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »
I think it depends on lot on how you use them and aim them. With my HID I do not need light down the road but at the side looking for eyes. I leave them on all the time but most of my (limited) night riding is 4 lane. I sure like the combo. It is also nice having a backup should the main fail.
Wayne

Couldn't have said it better myself Wayne.  :thumbs: :goodpost:

Doug Colton

Offline julianop

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 03:28:49 PM »
Wayne

Ditto that. I use a Silverlight as a main, and have a pair of FF50's aimed left and right of straight ahead at about 5-10 degrees to hit the median & ditch, respectively. They are magnificent for that purpose, and  I wouldn't be without them.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.