Author Topic: winter pause: full or empty tank?  (Read 6279 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: winter pause: full or empty tank?
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 09:02:50 AM »
According to pure-gas.org there are a few ethanol free stations in Colorado.
Pure-Gas.org - Colorado

I know of a few ethanol free options in Oklahoma City but it is harder to find than it should be.

Great website! I knew there were a few around but none close to me. The one in Englewood is about the closest and as of 11/14 $4.36/gal. About a dollar more then average.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 09:17:14 AM »
Great website! I knew there were a few around but none close to me. The one in Englewood is about the closest and as of 11/14 $4.36/gal. About a dollar more then average.

I hit the Conoco station on Santa Fe at lunch every other month or so... just a treat for the Ninja ST.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline h2oplayer

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 06:02:30 PM »
If you can fill up with non ethanol gas then I would go this route with a fuel stabilizer added. If you have to fill with an ethanol blend I would still stableize it. Ethanol blends breakdown faster and ethanol is hydroscopic and will literally absorb water from the air and since gas is lighter than water the water collects at the bottom of your tank. As far as the oil goes change it right before storing it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 08:07:40 PM »
Wondering why you are using an ethanol Stabil when the bike uses premium fuel. Around here that means no ethanol. I use the regular Stabil. Should I be changing.

In many areas, it is impossible to obtain ANY gas without ethanol.  I live in one such area...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 04:11:55 AM »
You have one in Suffolk, Max, but it's only 87 octane..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 04:20:40 PM »
Since I'm doing the valve check, coolant change and installing the Canyon Cage this winter, I'll be having the tank off the bike. Normally I fill it up put in Stabil and ride it home and call it a winter. This year I'll fill it up put Stabil in it and try to run it close to empty so it's easier to remove the tank.

Offline TJ

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 02:17:31 AM »
Forget the stabilizer. It is simply a waste of money and may cause more problems than it prevents. Used it for a couple of years along time ago only to discover a red residue in the gas tank of one of my ATV's that seemed to be a gritty powder.
We store out boats, motorhome, atv's, and motorcycles from about 1 October until mid April. Batteries are disconnected and left in as they will discharge even less when cold. The vehicles are never started and I have had zero rated fuel issues with any of the toys in the last 35 years. Top off the tanks, cover, disconnect the battery and thats it. Most people in Alaska will tell you that stabilizer is a waste of good money.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 09:30:54 AM »
Since I'm doing the valve check, coolant change and installing the Canyon Cage this winter, I'll be having the tank off the bike. Normally I fill it up put in Stabil and ride it home and call it a winter. This year I'll fill it up put Stabil in it and try to run it close to empty so it's easier to remove the tank.

Are you pulling the tank "just for fun"?  It's not necessary for doing any of the things you listed.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 05:52:01 PM »
Are you pulling the tank "just for fun"?  It's not necessary for doing any of the things you listed.

Now that you mention it, I don't need to remove the tank. Last time I did the valve check I also put in the hoses on the throttle bodies so that I could do the throttle body sync. Guess it kinda stuck in my head the association of the valve check with having to take off the tank. Thanks.