Author Topic: New helmet time, want a flip face, noise factor is key, suggestions ?  (Read 19074 times)

Offline Cuda

Re: New helmet time, want a flip face, noise factor is key, suggestions ?
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 07:28:12 AM »
I see HJC just came out with a new helmet
RPHA MAX I live in south Fl and my SY-MAX 3 has very good air flow and I like the dark shield flip down when going towards a setting sun, sun glasses are not enough, lot of heat and sun here. 
http://youtu.be/AamP-cYBAPU
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2012, 02:26:11 PM »
I'm pretty partial to my Zox Genesis flip up, had it a few years now, and found it was as quiet as anyone elses on the market, and more quiet than a lot of non-flips.
I also like the built in sun-shade goggle flip feature.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/zox-genessis/

oh, and I am very cheap. ;D

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2012, 02:58:21 PM »
I bought the Zox Nevado R 4 years ago, on sale for $92.99, regular price 139.99
It's my wife's helmet, but my back up helmet or when I need to use a modular which is only about 2 or 3 times per year.
Works good overall.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/zox-nevado/
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline FireIdiot

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2012, 11:11:45 PM »

I just recently bought a Neotec, I had a hell of a time getting a bong in my Arai while doing 100 mph...  ;D ;)

Hahahaha. How did you keep the water in it???  :thumbs: LOL
1999 Yamaha Zuma 50 (Camping Scooter)
2010 C14 ABS Blue
Member Red Knights - IL Chapter 21

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2012, 07:40:12 AM »
I tried on a Shoei Neo tech this weekend and I must say I was pretty impressed. Of course that probably wouldn't take much since I've always owned helmets from the lower price range. Hawk, THH, Zox, Vega, etc... Compared with these the Shoei was excellent. I guess you really do get what you pay for. I'm still trying to justify spending 6 bills for a helmet. I would like to know if the Neotech is worth the extra $200 over the Multitech. Is it really that much better? I haven't found a local dealer with a multitech to try on so any experience would be helpful.
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline att2008vn

• C14 2010 ABS
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2012, 08:52:50 PM »
I tried on a Shoei Neo tech this weekend and I must say I was pretty impressed. Of course that probably wouldn't take much since I've always owned helmets from the lower price range. Hawk, THH, Zox, Vega, etc... Compared with these the Shoei was excellent. I guess you really do get what you pay for. I'm still trying to justify spending 6 bills for a helmet. I would like to know if the Neotech is worth the extra $200 over the Multitech. Is it really that much better? I haven't found a local dealer with a multitech to try on so any experience would be helpful.

Hi,

I have both Multitec & Neotec, the Neotec is alot quieter, less airflow feeling and feel lighter, also the Neotec seems having more liner parts available than Multitec.

at

Offline novacon

• nova scotia t
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 11:09:03 AM »
I'll be taking my G4 off my HJC CL something or other ( fits amazing for such a cheap helmet ) and putting it onto a Neotec. I've been wanting a modular for sometime and this fits the best out of all. And thats what I tell my wife as well. Who by the way wears a Shoei Qwest  ( Godess Pink ) that Santa almost had to rob a bank to pay for last Christmas. I'll be ordering mine from Revzilla.
And thats my story ....

2010 connie

Offline blackmax

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2012, 12:46:46 PM »
Ended up with a flat black Neotec for $550 fits better than the Multitec, ( I was surprised they didn't fit alike considering they were the same size with the same size cheek pads)  I'm very happy with it so far put about 300 miles on it. Could be quieter for the price but fit and finish is 2 steps above my HJC CL-16. I bought a Blinc bluetooth headset that works flawlessly and got second one to give my daughter for Christmas. Thanks for all the input. And Happy Holidays.

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2012, 03:22:05 PM »
What is the noise factor on this idea?

http://www.wired.com/design/2012/12/kranium/
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2012, 08:41:12 PM »
I just bought a Shoei Neotec a month+ ago and am very pleased with it.  :thumbs:

+1

Now riding in south America with my new Neotec and I am very happy with it. Comfortable, quite
and not heavy.

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2012, 02:04:01 PM »
Tried to go the cheaper route & ordered a Nolan N104. While this appeared to be a good helmet it just did not fit my head well. It was large enough at the top but it was way too narrow at my cheeks and chin. Guess I don't have the right shaped head for it. Also because of where the controls for the VPS shield were I not sure my Scala G9 would have mounted correctly. I sent it back & ordered a Shoei Neotec. I know it fits. I just hope it arrives before Christmas.  ;D
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline FireIdiot

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2012, 08:09:48 AM »
I'm still hesitant on the N104. I have a 23 1/4 inch head which according to the helmet size chart puts me in a large. Well I tried on the large, which folds my ears in half and is really tight around the crown. I went to the XL, and while it fits well, it's a bit loose in the crown. I'm concerned about the padding when it breaks in.
1999 Yamaha Zuma 50 (Camping Scooter)
2010 C14 ABS Blue
Member Red Knights - IL Chapter 21

Offline Cuda

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2012, 08:35:20 AM »
What is the noise factor on this idea?

http://www.wired.com/design/2012/12/kranium/

Once again It took someone thinking out side of normal to really make a difference, nice find.
jj
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline booger

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2013, 02:25:23 PM »
I have a friend that bought a Schuberth, wore it about 2 months and was disappointed.  Bought a Neotec (he can afford it) and wore it about 2 weeks.  He is back using the Schuberth.  He claims he didn't know how good the Schuberth was, unti he wore the Neotec..

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2013, 11:00:42 AM »
I have a Neotec and love it.  I crashed in it when a bird hit me in the faceshield and knocked me out cold.  So I basically got a do over, with the insurance I could buy whatever I wanted.  I got the exact same helmet.  I sent the 'damaged' Neotec in to get it checked out by Shoei. It passed!  Anybody want a Shoei Neotec, white and large for less than half price? See the link below.

The Neotec is the quietest and nicest helmet I have ever owned.   It doesn't vent quite as good as the Arai Qwest I had before the Neotec, but I don't have an Arai head and it gave me a headache. Then I totalled the Arai (also replaced by insurance) when I had a flat front tire in a corner on my DR-650, so I got the Neotec the bird hit.  I am on my 3rd expensive helmet in a year. Never had a crash till 2012 either, then had 2.  The go down with the flat front was a collision claim, the go down with the bird was a comprehensive. The bird had a 4 foot wingspan, it was a black buzzard.  That's not me in the picture, I had already left in the ambulance.

Here's the Neotec I have for sale. 
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=12220.0
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:35:56 AM by PlaynInPeoria »
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline blackmax

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2013, 07:02:13 PM »
Still happy with my Neotech, have a related bird story. Nailed a fullsize turkey with my head going on my way to work going about 50 mph just a half mile from my house. Have no idea how it didn't take me off the bike or knock me out. Chin bar gave me a good smack in the jaw though. I got to the station with dirt and feathers stuck in my gear and the guys said WTF happened to you ?! Explained and then took  a pic of the turkey that was still dead by the side of the road when I was on my way home. He looked to be about the same size as that buzzard. Damn turkeys still try to kill me every fall ! Must be relatives of the deceased.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2013, 10:51:21 AM »
Then I totalled the Arai (also replaced by insurance) when I had a flat front tire in a corner on my DR-650,http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=12220.0

Would like to hear more about that as I have DR-650 and have gotten flats. Any advice on how to avoid what happened to you?

Back on topic, I got a Shoei Hornet DS for my DR-650 adventure rides but I love the extra space in front of my mouth so much I wear it on the C14 as well. Not a flip up but very comfortable and can get a drink from a water bottle without removing the helmet. Also added a pin-lock visor for winter riding and no fogging up.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2013, 11:04:19 AM »
On the way home from softball, the front end felt funny.   I knew there was something wrong and I tried to make it home.   The front was fine when spinning at high rpm with tire flung out from centrifigal force.  But when I rolled off the throttle to hit the last corner before home at about 45 mph, the combination of the wheel slowing and the weight transferring to the front totally collapsed the tire. So here I was in a turn and the only thing touching the ground was the right side of the rim.  The front end washed IMMEDIATELY, like I rolled off and touched the brakes and was down HARD RIGHT NOW.  I got a bunch of road rash and totalled the bike (bought it back and fixed it), ruined the helmet too.  Had no serious injuries but was scraped up BAD.  Guy showed up in a truck and loaded the bike and gave me a ride home, my friend was already there for another reason and helped unload it. Called my gf and she took me to ER and they scraped the gravel out of me (not as much fun as it sounds). Missed the next day of work (it was Friday).  Left 8 days later on a solo 6500 mile trip on my C10.  Had to peel the bandages off every night and treat it.   Went from Peoria to Glacier NP, Seattle, down 101 to LA, saw the Rock Store, Angeles Crest Highway and a 1090 mile day and an 890 mile day to get home. 

Lesson learned is, hitch a ride home and get the truck when the front end is 'funny'.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2013, 12:53:56 PM »
On the way home from softball, the front end felt funny.   I knew there was something wrong and I tried to make it home.   The front was fine when spinning at high rpm with tire flung out from centrifigal force.  But when I rolled off the throttle to hit the last corner before home at about 45 mph, the combination of the wheel slowing and the weight transferring to the front totally collapsed the tire. So here I was in a turn and the only thing touching the ground was the right side of the rim.  The front end washed IMMEDIATELY, like I rolled off and touched the brakes and was down HARD RIGHT NOW.  I got a bunch of road rash and totalled the bike (bought it back and fixed it), ruined the helmet too.  Had no serious injuries but was scraped up BAD.  Guy showed up in a truck and loaded the bike and gave me a ride home, my friend was already there for another reason and helped unload it. Called my gf and she took me to ER and they scraped the gravel out of me (not as much fun as it sounds). Missed the next day of work (it was Friday).  Left 8 days later on a solo 6500 mile trip on my C10.  Had to peel the bandages off every night and treat it.   Went from Peoria to Glacier NP, Seattle, down 101 to LA, saw the Rock Store, Angeles Crest Highway and a 1090 mile day and an 890 mile day to get home. 

Lesson learned is, hitch a ride home and get the truck when the front end is 'funny'.

Thanks for sharing and will try and learn the lesson the easy way. BTW, love your avatar.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2013, 01:05:54 PM »
I liked it too, so I stole it from another guy on my old Bandit forum  ;D