Author Topic: New helmet time, want a flip face, noise factor is key, suggestions ?  (Read 19063 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

Re: New helmet time, want a flip face, noise factor is key, suggestions ?
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 06:34:12 AM »
I dont smoke any more but find it amusing a motorcyclist busts on a smoker.

I don't understand this statement.  What does one have to do with the other?
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Chips_C14

• 2011 Black C14
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 08:13:09 AM »
When I decided to get the modular, I went with the Shoei Neotec (silver) after thinking I wanted the Nolan.  I tried all of them on, including the Schuberth, which was a very nice helmet.  I asked my buddy who has one and even though he liked his Schuberth, he recommended against it as it didn't really exceed the Shoei for the price.  I love the Shoei...has the best air flow of any helmet I have owned and I have a nice Arai, but LOVE this Shoei.  I also use the Scala G4 with it and it works very nicely.
2011 Black C14

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 07:07:29 PM »
I don't understand this statement.  What does one have to do with the other?

Really? Smoking and riding goes like peas and carrots. The most simple is that if you participate in one or the other, you have a very realistic increase in decreasing your life span as compared to if you did not. Both are also fun, rebellious, and very useful relaxation devices. Especially if you inhale.

That is just off the top of my head.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 09:25:45 PM »
Really? Smoking and riding goes like peas and carrots. The most simple is that if you participate in one or the other, you have a very realistic increase in decreasing your life span as compared to if you did not. Both are also fun, rebellious, and very useful relaxation devices. Especially if you inhale.

That is just off the top of my head.

Smoking is fun and useful for relaxing, have you been to a cancer Hospital lately? Smoking pot can for sure be relaxing "so I hear". Motorcycles are not dangerous IMHO, stupid drivers and stupid riders are. Didn't realize that smoking and riding went hand in hand, matter of fact I find riding with smokers to be a pain in the ass more than not. I must say it does look pretty cool though, especially with one dangling out the mouth of a rider wearing a flip face helmet.  8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 10:03:27 PM »
Smoking pot can for sure be relaxing "so I hear". Motorcycles are not dangerous IMHO, stupid drivers and stupid riders are. Didn't realize that smoking and riding went hand in hand, matter of fact I find riding with smokers to be a pain in the ass more than not. I must say it does look pretty cool though, especially with one dangling out the mouth of a rider wearing a flip face helmet.  8)

I just recently bought a Neotec, I had a hell of a time getting a bong in my Arai while doing 100 mph...  ;D ;)

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 03:03:57 AM »
NOt a cancer hosital, but I have visited a friend laely who was riding along when a drunk hit him: he won't walk or talk ever again, and you can see in his eyes that he has some realization of what is going on. If he had been in a car he'd be alive, if he would not have been wearing full gear (including full leathers) he may have died. I understand that certain peoples superpwers will help them fend that off, but I am no superman.

I don't stop riding.

Should I?

Its a choice thing. Francis needs to lighten up.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 06:53:30 AM »
NOt a cancer hosital, but I have visited a friend laely who was riding along when a drunk hit him: he won't walk or talk ever again, and you can see in his eyes that he has some realization of what is going on. If he had been in a car he'd be alive, if he would not have been wearing full gear (including full leathers) he may have died. I understand that certain peoples superpwers will help them fend that off, but I am no superman.

I don't stop riding.

Should I?

Its a choice thing. Francis needs to lighten up.

Sorry to hear about your friend, but how do you know he would not have died if he was in a car?  Many people die in car accidents.  Head slams into side window and gone.

I don't see how smoking and riding go hand in hand.  I want to be as healthy as I can so I can enjoy riding until my body gives out or I get taken out.  When I was a kid I would stop by a neighbors house and we would walk to school together.  I would hear his Dad hacking every morning.  Knew that wasn't for me.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 07:09:17 AM »
   I have a big round head.  Because of head shape Shoei seems to work best.  Many years ago when I owned a BMW R100RS I bought a BMW modular, one of the first sold, and I loved it.  Suberth made that one.
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 07:19:07 AM »
Shoei Qwest ( non modular) is a relatively quiet helmet for those of us with rounder head.

I think there is probably a higher correlation with drinking and smoking.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline Cuda

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 06:54:21 PM »
I have two HJC SY-MAX 3 helmets and I'm happy.

Smoking screws up your WHOLE body, my uncle died two weeks ago , my dad got lung cancer and died .. slow... you should have seen how scared he looked when it metastasized to his brain , small cells break off and flow in the bloodstream and end up in the brain and else where.
I've fired 30 yearold  employees because they could not do their job well because they smoked three packs a day, DENIAL is bizarre.

I've been racing boats since 1979 , don't see how anyone can make a comparison .
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 07:49:56 PM »
I frankly don't understand the whole live for ever thing.
My grand father lived from the oxcart to the 'Man on the moon' landing and twenty years beyond.  Had a 'few choice questions' when he got there.
I have no desire to go earlier than reguired, but I smoke, drink, and ride.
NEVER at the same time !!  >:(
Ive seen what 100 years old and strong as a bull looks like and have no particular desire to get there.
Therapy session over....  :-X

On topic
Bought a Vemar TC and it's the best fitting helmet on my long oval noggin I've owned.
Squeals like pig on the right side with everything locked down.  :'(
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline blackmax

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2012, 08:53:52 PM »
Thank you all for the input. Will be shopping this weekend for my own Christmas gift the local shop usually takes very good care of me with any luck I'll be able to test ride a few helmets. Keep the rubber side down boys !!

Offline Snype

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 11:13:44 PM »
I vote Nolan.. I have gone through several.  I now have a bluetooth2 (I hear they are coming out with a bluetooth 3).  I can listen to music on my Galaxy Note2, no problem... it even has some MP3 controls built in; that I just discovered.  The Battery life is amazing, about 12 hours of music; and it came in really handy when I was blazing across Nevada, when my credit card company called me to let me know my card was charged for gas in 3 states in the same 24 hours...

It auto connects to my GFs helmet when we are 2 up.

Schuerth has it's merits, but it's really heavy and the way the chin retracts leaves your head over weighted.  The nolan goes up and back in a way that makes it feel very natural.  no other flip up I have tried has that mechanism as clean as Nolan.  the cool thing is you can build it as you have money.. you buy the helmet, then the earphone/mic harness that can be used for wires use to you MP3, and then the Bluetooth module. 

I don't smoke btw.. but I love the flip up every time I need to sneeze... and I get a great laugh when my friends in full face sneeze <lol>

Snype

Offline att2008vn

• C14 2010 ABS
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 08:56:11 AM »

Smoking is fun and useful for relaxing, have you been to a cancer Hospital lately? Smoking pot can for sure be relaxing "so I hear". Motorcycles are not dangerous IMHO, stupid drivers and stupid riders are. Didn't realize that smoking and riding went hand in hand, matter of fact I find riding with smokers to be a pain in the ass more than not. I must say it does look pretty cool though, especially with one dangling out the mouth of a rider wearing a flip face helmet.  8)

well, there must be a reason when God help created cigarette as well as ....bike  ;) ;)

I do smoke in the last 25 years and still have no intention to give it up, it s part of my life and i enjoy it.  My job related to healthcare, been seeing breathing lungs with black dots all over pink tissue due to cigarettes, been seeing tumor [of others] all over the body under all kind of conditions, been seeing crashed people from cars, boats, bikes, bicycle, walk; been holding dieing friends in hand after their bike crashed, been pointed gun on my own fore-head .....so why i have to give up my joy if we all going to die one day  8) 8) 8).  Too bad i cannot see my own riding at 70mph with helmet up and cigarette lighted on the mouth  :) :) :)

at

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 10:10:02 AM »
As evidenced in the other thread I am currently using the HJC CL-Max II Helmet Zader. Set up for Bluetooth but the Scala G9 has plenty of room in the earpeices for the speakers. It is much (like by a pretty huge margin)  quieter than the 2 different Fulmers I have had and more comfy. Pretty cheap at Iron Pony at $143. and has a great seletion of face sheilds. The sheilds are really optically clear and chage out easily ( I hate sunglasses so I pretty much carry a mirrored sheild to wear in the sun.) . Like I said in my limited experience it is the quietest on the bike of the ones I have tried including the first full face helmet I owned but can not remember the make. I make phone calls and folks do not know I am at 70 mph on a bike.....whether that is the helmet of the Cardo wind technology I can't say.

I like my music so with no other basis I have stayed with it but really want something even quieter and think from reading here the full faces may be superior.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 10:13:31 AM »
well, there must be a reason when God help created cigarette as well as ....bike  ;) ;)

I do smoke in the last 25 years and still have no intention to give it up, it s part of my life and i enjoy it.  My job related to healthcare, been seeing breathing lungs with black dots all over pink tissue due to cigarettes, been seeing tumor [of others] all over the body under all kind of conditions, been seeing crashed people from cars, boats, bikes, bicycle, walk; been holding dieing friends in hand after their bike crashed, been pointed gun on my own fore-head .....so why i have to give up my joy if we all going to die one day  8) 8) 8) .  Too bad i cannot see my own riding at 70mph with helmet up and cigarette lighted on the mouth  :) :) :)

at

Life is all about making choices, well most times at least.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ARS

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 10:28:15 PM »
I test fitted the Schuberth and the strap choked my wind pipe.  I really wanted the Schuberth to work, but oh well, after fitting a couple of dozen helments, I settled for an Arai RX-Q.  This one felt like a glove on my head, no pressure points, snug and felt light.  I bought it and rode home (70 miles).  Way too noisy!  I have to wear ear plugs for any trips longer than 10 miles.  I guess I have a block head.

Offline mgtibb

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 03:18:50 PM »
I dont smoke any more but find it amusing a motorcyclist busts on a smoker.

Roughly 5000 deaths per year involving motorcycles versus 400,000 due to smoking. Not much of a comparison when it comes to risk.

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 09:50:21 PM »
I test fitted the Schuberth and the strap choked my wind pipe.  I really wanted the Schuberth to work, but oh well, after fitting a couple of dozen helments, I settled for an Arai RX-Q.  This one felt like a glove on my head, no pressure points, snug and felt light.  I bought it and rode home (70 miles).  Way too noisy!  I have to wear ear plugs for any trips longer than 10 miles.  I guess I have a block head.
If it is any consolation, I wear ear plugs with my Neotech because it is loud. I wear them with my Qwest also because I like it.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2012, 10:34:25 PM »
I have the Nolan N90 with Nolan Blutooth2.1 and I like everything EXCEPT it is a very noisy helmet.
I'm converting it with a jack for earbuds hooked to the Bluetooth in the helmet.

So, just to stay with the OP's original question, blackmax the Nolan N90 is not what you are looking for.