Author Topic: New helmet time, want a flip face, noise factor is key, suggestions ?  (Read 18581 times)

Offline blackmax

Not sure if I want to spend $1000 on the Schuberth with bluetooth only to find out it's just as noisy as a much less expensive helmet. Thinking Nolan N104 with or without their bluetooth or a Shoei with a Scala or similar set up. any and all suggestions/ experiences would be appreciated. BTW I ride a C-14 with a sport shield 8 months of the year and a v-stream in the winter.

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: New helmet time, want a flip face, noise factor is key, suggestions ?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 06:42:15 PM »
I just bought a Shoei Neotec a month+ ago and am very pleased with it.  :thumbs:

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »
Know a guy that bought the uber expensive Schuberth, he said it wasnt worth the price. Sold it and got the Shoei Neotec, said it was what he should've gotten in the first place.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Juppt

• Time for a little "cyco"therapy.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 06:49:38 PM »
I tried the neotec. I didn't care for it. I have a HJC Sy-Max lll w/ bluetooth capability. Haven't tried it yet. Maybe Santa will bring me something if I've been very good.
Ian
"You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist's office"
 2008 C14 (Dr. Phil-asaki), 2005 HD FLHTCUI, 2002 C10, 1986 C10,1980 CX-500, 1968 Triumph Trophy 250

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 07:26:43 PM »
I tried the neotec. I didn't care for it. I have a HJC Sy-Max lll w/ bluetooth capability. Haven't tried it yet. Maybe Santa will bring me something if I've been very good.

Because of your head shape?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 07:43:48 PM »
Nolan N-103 with J&M Audio bluetooth.  If the wind noise is too bad, turn up the volume on some Aerosmith or AC/DC.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 10:57:02 PM »
Not sure if I want to spend $1000 on the Schuberth with bluetooth only to find out it's just as noisy as a much less expensive helmet. Thinking Nolan N104 with or without their bluetooth or a Shoei with a Scala or similar set up. any and all suggestions/ experiences would be appreciated. BTW I ride a C-14 with a sport shield 8 months of the year and a v-stream in the winter.

That $700 helmet is winning every noise test and helmet shootout I've seen yet.  The non-modular takes 1st, and modular takes second.  I haven't bought one but am about to.

I have a shoei RF-1100 and I USED to be a hardcore "nothing but shoei" type fan.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 01:36:54 AM »
Here in San Diego, the BMW dealership has C3 Schuberth's that you can test out.  I tried on a Schubert and told the saleman "let me sit down for a couple minutes and see if I get any hotspots".  Salesman said "you want to test ride our s1000rr demo bike so you can get a feel for the helmet". I was pressed for time so I didn't go for a ride. The dealership also sold the Shoei Neotec.

Long story short, call your local BMW M/C dealership and ask if they have a C3 Schuberth helmet you can test out
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline att2008vn

• C14 2010 ABS
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 08:19:29 AM »
smoking is a must for me so other than 3-4 full-faces/half-faces, i m on my 3rd flip-up helmet : Shoei Multitec, X-lite N1002 (which is equal to Nolan N-102 for people in the States) and now Neotec.  The Nolan is the worst, i think it is the shape of my skull causing the pain on my ears, my neck and my forehead, but the quality of the paint, the foam and the linen is really in no class with the Shoei, and yet it s about the same price with the Multitec.  Noise level is the same between Multitec & N1002.  I got my Neotec early this year and "wow" was all i could say, it is as quiet as my Shoei RF-1100 and same fit that i get used to.  Of course in term of quietness, i cannot compare with Arai full-face like QX stuffs but it s really my favorite.

just my 2 cents

at

Offline udoggie

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 09:10:38 AM »
For what it's worth, I really like my flip-up Scorpion Transformer.  It fits my head, holds my bluetooth headset comfortably, and didn't break the bank.

I do still wear earplugs though, but I'd wear them with any helmet.

Jeff
Aloha, OR.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 09:43:46 AM »
I wear ear plugs.

I want a helmet with the most ventilation I can get and that is going to come with wind noise.  Foam ear plugs cut out the wind noise but still allow me to hear my speakers, traffic, etc even better than without the earplugs in because the wind noise is overpowering.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 09:49:07 AM »
smoking is a must for me so other than 3-4 full-faces/half-faces, i m on my 3rd flip-up helmet : Shoei Multitec, X-lite N1002 (which is equal to Nolan N-102 for people in the States) and now Neotec.  The Nolan is the worst, i think it is the shape of my skull causing the pain on my ears, my neck and my forehead, but the quality of the paint, the foam and the linen is really in no class with the Shoei, and yet it s about the same price with the Multitec.  Noise level is the same between Multitec & N1002.  I got my Neotec early this year and "wow" was all i could say, it is as quiet as my Shoei RF-1100 and same fit that i get used to.  Of course in term of quietness, i cannot compare with Arai full-face like QX stuffs but it s really my favorite.

just my 2 cents

at

Love you smokers, job security for me.  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 10:56:08 AM »

Surgeon or mortician?

Offline katata1100

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 11:02:08 AM »
Too bad you smoke, I love my Oneil blutooth helmet, it was also cheap, under $200. Fwiw, I have a C14 and took it on a 4000 miles trip, got a little set up on the steering center for my iphone 4s.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 11:03:05 AM »
Surgeon or mortician?

Tobacco company employee?

I like my Scorpion EXO900, so much I bought a second one for my snowmobiles.  I was using HJC Symax (first gen) before that, and the EXO900 is way better.  I think all helmets will have wind noise, but I have to say I hated the Shoei I had more than any of them.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 11:12:43 AM »
Shark Evoline 3 - modular, full face and a smokers dream
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 06:38:28 PM »
I dont smoke any more but find it amusing a motorcyclist busts on a smoker.

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 07:30:34 PM »

LOL, yup

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 08:40:09 PM »

No bust....was being thankful. And what does smoking and being a motorcyclist have to do with eachother? As far as helmets go, the modulars are all pretty darn good, mostly comes down to overall comfort and features. HJC probably makes the overall best for the money, but I am a Shoei guy and am a bit partial I reckon.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 04:47:49 AM »
I get it: I am a little slow. I thought you were being like th eother 99.9% on the internet. I apoligize.