Author Topic: V-Stream shield question  (Read 5321 times)

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
V-Stream shield question
« on: November 20, 2012, 08:06:36 AM »
 I notice on pics of C14 cop bikes a lot of them are running V-Stream shields.  I have discounted this shield because of the countless posts reporting how much the shield bounces at speed in anything less than still air.  My question for those that have the shield is: does this bouncing feedback into the bike in any way?  Do you feel the bouncing as a vibration of a steering input?

The reason I ask is a thought that if the shield bounces and does not distribute that vibration to the rest of the bike it actually may be acting as a shock absorber and possibly 'NOT' transferring that energy to the rails and motor assembly.  If this is the case, although distracting, it would  be of some benefit.
Walt 
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline OregonLAN

Re: V-Stream shield question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:57:05 AM »
I think the nature of the adjustment mechanism allows for a slight amount of play regardless of the windshield type. Even the stock windshield bounces to some extent. It's just less noticeable than larger aftermarket windshields.

I have a Cee Bailey's UT and it bounces. It use to bother me because I paid attention to it...

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:43:32 AM »
  OregonLAN I appreciate your feedback but looking for input from V-Stream owners.  I too have had Cee Bailey shields on a number of different bikes.  MY C-14 is new with stock shield so far and it is too noisy.  MY experience with Cee Bailey shields is they they are pretty ridged and do not flex much at all.  So if this is the case the bounce or flex is coming from the mounting points and not the shield itself.

That is why I asked if the the flexing can be felt in the bike as far as steering or vibration. 

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 10:37:13 AM »
Mine vibrates a little more than stock.  No big deal overall it is much quieter than the stock and well worth it.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline danl

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 10:39:08 AM »
I have a vstream and have not noticed any difference with regards to vibration or feedback coming from the windshield movement. It really only bounces a lot at highway speeds with semi truck type turbulance going on around you with the shield all the way up

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 10:51:23 AM »
  So who has the best V-Stream price now?   Any suggestions where to buy? powersportparts.net quoted me $179.95 shipped although last year according to someone on the 'other' forum they were selling for $135.00 shipped.

Offline danl

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 01:32:33 PM »
I got mine for 135 shipped last year from powersportparts.net

Offline Just Krusen

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 06:25:55 PM »
Mine vibrates a little more than stock.  No big deal overall it is much quieter than the stock and well worth it.
I agree.  If it's moving more than the stock one I never really noticed it.

Ed Kruse
Naples FL
'02 GL1800 ABS
'11 Concours 14

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 06:38:45 PM »
I agree.  If it's moving more than the stock one I never really noticed it.

If it is real windy on the slab it can get nervous, so just lower the windshield and tuck in.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 07:14:25 PM »
And grab the shield with your left hand as you come around. With a windy day, and big trucks, it's a friggin' handfull.

At least it was for me. I roll hard, and come around at a very brisk pace. My shield has much slack after meeting up with Jeremy this Spring. I'll never run that shield again.

If you get 10,000 miles out of a tire, let me know. It might work for you. ::)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 09:05:33 PM »
I trimmed two inches off both sides near the top  of my V stream and it workes great, I put on a tinted mini euro today and took a ride on the interstate and it wiggled around passing trucks and was LOUD , I love my V stream I just wish it was tinted. It is really good in the rain . I like the looks of the mini euro but V stream spoiled me , I never had a real shield before , now I'll never ride with out one.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline robbie

• Tampabay, FL
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 03:57:35 PM »
The first shield I bought was the V-stream. I did think it bounced around alot. So much so that at interstate speeds I was afraid the thing was going to snap off at the mount. It also seemed to be the thinnest of the 4 shields I have used and I think that was the main contributing factor in it moving around so much. I did like the shape and looks of it and although the movement did not translate into the bars or bike I just wasn't  comfortable with that much bouncing around.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2003 Goldwing, 2002 Goldwing, 2015 F-150, 2018 JK Wrangler, 2002 TJ Wrangler

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 08:55:05 PM »
If you are still shopping for a Vstream I got mine through Jake Wilson for around $140 shipped.  I actually used reward cash from all the tires I bought the year prior.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 10:12:39 PM »
  Still thinking about it Jeremy,  how do you like the V-Stream?

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 12:04:57 AM »
  Still thinking about it Jeremy,  how do you like the V-Stream?

If you think you might like the V-Stream, sign up for the demo (sticky at the top of this Accessories thread).  For a small shipping fee, you get to try a couple different windshields.  I did that a couple years ago and quickly decided I would never have the V-Stream.  I'd be too worried about how much its dancing around was stressing the mounts.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 06:15:51 PM »
I love my Vstream in the cooler months.  No problems after several used of use, but it does seem to move alot at interstate speeds. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 09:31:48 AM »
Original spoiler Kawasaki" FAI DA TE".

http://youtu.be/Fi-7XuMi-tQ

MGvalerio.
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 11:39:23 AM »
I love my V Stream, just be sure to cover your dash in the sun.  I cannot directly say the V Stream caused my dash to be burned, but it has happened twice now.   

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 12:37:55 PM »
I love my V Stream, just be sure to cover your dash in the sun.  I cannot directly say the V Stream caused my dash to be burned, but it has happened twice now.

+1  I put a tshirt over the shield.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!