Author Topic: New Concours Web Survey from Kawasaki  (Read 15712 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: New Concours Web Survey from Kawasaki
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 09:11:03 PM »
The C14 is a tall bike to begin with, have had more than 1 person tell me that.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 09:30:40 PM »
Aye, she's a tall drink of water.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline CARLÃO

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2012, 09:37:32 PM »
OK, Max, thanks, I answered the survey, in spite it was designed only to owners that live in US.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2012, 09:40:17 PM »
I will attempt to ignore the insult part.

I seriously doubt them redesigning the frame slightly to enable the option of a lower seat is going to hurt any "grown ups", regardless of their leg lengths.  Choice is good.  And even if the seat were lower, standard, then it is no big deal to get a taller seat.  Getting a LOWER seat *is* a big deal, because you can only go so low before there is simply no padding left.  That said, I think an adjustable seat, that can also go at least 2" lower than what the C14 comes now and can go at least 1" higher than what the C14 now comes with, would be a great thing.

I bought the Concours because of the physical size of the bike.  Sure I could have put a taller seat and lower pegs on my Ninja 650R, but when I tried a pad on the seat the bike then felt different, like I was riding on top of the bike instead of on the bike.  If folks would just buy a bike that fits them then there would be bikes for everyone out there.  I laugh when I see a 6'3" guy on a Vstar 250 or even 650, and also laugh when I see a guy on an M109 that can barely hold it up. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2012, 09:42:01 PM »
I also asked Kawasaki to throw a little candy lime green in with the black bike because I don't always want to be the fastest bike out there.  Sometimes I just want to look fast.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2012, 10:37:03 PM »
I bought the Concours because of the physical size of the bike.  Sure I could have put a taller seat and lower pegs on my Ninja 650R, but when I tried a pad on the seat the bike then felt different, like I was riding on top of the bike instead of on the bike. If folks would just buy a bike that fits them then there would be bikes for everyone out there.  I laugh when I see a 6'3" guy on a Vstar 250 or even 650, and also laugh when I see a guy on an M109 that can barely hold it up.

What is a bigger fella supposed to start out on? Pretty obvious to me what most should start out on, but when you are 6 '3 plus you are a bit limited to a bike that you will fit comfortably on, and that you can learn on.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2012, 10:50:06 PM »
Let's face the facts- what the Concours needs is a premium seat, cruise control, self-cancelling turn signals (like my 30 year old XJ1100 has), adjustable handlebars, and a new muffler. Don't get me wrong, this is my favorite bike of the many I have had in 30 years of riding- just saying to keep relevant in the market Kawasaki has to constantly upgrade or lose.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2012, 11:24:12 PM »
I bought the Concours because of the physical size of the bike.  Sure I could have put a taller seat and lower pegs on my Ninja 650R, but when I tried a pad on the seat the bike then felt different, like I was riding on top of the bike instead of on the bike.  If folks would just buy a bike that fits them then there would be bikes for everyone out there.  I laugh when I see a 6'3" guy on a Vstar 250 or even 650, and also laugh when I see a guy on an M109 that can barely hold it up.

Rriders with a few inches shorter leg lengths outside some magic design "norm" should not be artifically restricted to only toy bikes, small sport-only bikes, or cruisers.  (It has nothing to do with standing height, it has to do with leg length only.)  Just because a bike might fit leg length does not mean the customer is interested in that type of bike.

Lowering the top part of the seat-area-only part of the frame somewhat to accommodate the option for a lower seat would in no way make the body position any different for the rider than without such a change (with a seat height adjusted up accordingly).  There is no necessity to change the tank height, the tree position, the peg positions, etc.

There are, of course, some very complex factors to consider in frame strength and positioning of other things to maintain the same rear tire clearance.  But I bet it could be done.  Even with such a change, it is certainly still not going to accommodate everyone, but expanding the possible market base is a good thing, as long as there are no significantly negative design consequences.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2012, 11:35:57 PM »
Possibly one of the guys I chose to be co-admin is a maroon. Maybe.

... The next off topic post will be nuked without warning.

Go ahead, I dare you.  :P  :P  :P

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2012, 05:19:22 AM »
Rriders with a few inches shorter leg lengths outside some magic design "norm" should not be artifically restricted to only toy bikes, small sport-only bikes, or cruisers.  (It has nothing to do with standing height, it has to do with leg length only.)  Just because a bike might fit leg length does not mean the customer is interested in that type of bike.

Lowering the top part of the seat-area-only part of the frame somewhat to accommodate the option for a lower seat would in no way make the body position any different for the rider than without such a change (with a seat height adjusted up accordingly).  There is no necessity to change the tank height, the tree position, the peg positions, etc.

There are, of course, some very complex factors to consider in frame strength and positioning of other things to maintain the same rear tire clearance.  But I bet it could be done.  Even with such a change, it is certainly still not going to accommodate everyone, but expanding the possible market base is a good thing, as long as there are no significantly negative design consequences.

I agree.  There are a few things about the Concours that has made it a bike that I've never been totally in love with, but this is number one.  I bought a low Sargent seat for it, which makes it a good height for me.  But the low seat compromises comfort for real long days.  It's the only bike I've ever owned that I have had this problem with.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2012, 06:41:03 AM »

Then one thing I have finally learned after 31 years of riding is find a bike that fits.  I have passed on bikes that I really like because of the fit.  Some were too big for me.  Triumph Tiger Explorer.  and some were too small for me.  New Ninja 300.  If I were smaller in stature I would love to be able to fit comfortably on less expensive bikes.  Personally I only require about 1/2 the horsepower the Concours puts out and if I can exercise will power I will only use 1/2 the horsepower.  Yesterday I fell in love with the moto guzzi V7 Racer.  Very cool retro bike.  When I showed my wife a photo of me on the bike she said it was too small for me.  The Griso v8 SE is a better fit but doesn't have that old school cool factor. 
My Concours Travels:

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2012, 06:49:15 AM »

What is a bigger fella supposed to start out on? Pretty obvious to me what most should start out on, but when you are 6 '3 plus you are a bit limited to a bike that you will fit comfortably on, and that you can learn on.

Hopefully a biggger fella is also a stronger fella, (not always the case), but a dual sport would be the perfect starter bike for a taller guy.

A guy showed up at the advanced MSF course on a Vstar 250.  His knees about hit the handlebars and did hit them when he tried to do parking lot maneuvers.  The instructors encouraged him to get a larger framed bike before he wrecked.  Another guy could barely touch tip toes on his bike.  My BIL really wanted an Ultra Classic.  Bought it and quickly realized he was too small to handle the bike.  He went with a Low Ryder and installed hard bags and batwing on it.

There are so many different bikes out there.  There is no one bike that will fit everyone.  There are low seat height bikes out there and there are tall bikes out there.  There are bikes with short reach to the handlebars and bikes with long reach to the handlebars.  Some things can be adjusted and some things can't.  There are light bikes and heavy bikes.  Way too many bikes to try before I die.
My Concours Travels:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2012, 06:52:47 AM »
Then one thing I have finally learned after 31 years of riding is find a bike that fits.  I have passed on bikes that I really like because of the fit.  Some were too big for me.  Triumph Tiger Explorer.  and some were too small for me.  New Ninja 300.  If I were smaller in stature I would love to be able to fit comfortably on less expensive bikes.  Personally I only require about 1/2 the horsepower the Concours puts out and if I can exercise will power I will only use 1/2 the horsepower.  Yesterday I fell in love with the moto guzzi V7 Racer.  Very cool retro bike.  When I showed my wife a photo of me on the bike she said it was too small for me.  The Griso v8 SE is a better fit but doesn't have that old school cool factor.

That willpower often gets interrupted between the brain and the right wrist. Especially when the tach gets above 6k and the bike is making that beautiful music.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2012, 06:55:56 AM »

You going to start a discrimination lawsuit? :P
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2012, 07:02:13 AM »
You going to start a discrimination lawsuit? :P

Get real, of course not.  But I certainly am going to let Kawasaki how I feel about it, and comment when anyone says something somewhat offensive like "just get a different bike", which is rarely a solution, especially when all reasonable models tend to be within 1" of the exact same target design.

The fact that Kawasaki is asking people what they think about the seat height is a pretty clear indicator that there is enough of a "problem" for them to investigate further.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2012, 07:08:49 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2012, 07:27:50 AM »
OK, Max, thanks, I answered the survey, in spite it was designed only to owners that live in US.

Or users of the 09 bikes onward   >:(   Kwak intelligence at work...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2012, 07:52:17 AM »
Or users of the 09 bikes onward   >:(   Kwak intelligence at work...

Well, maybe we will get the word out and they will mysteriously have a hell of a lot more survey feedback than they expected (which is a good thing).

It really is quite odd that they didn't use any type of identifier on the survey to better control who is responding.  Without it, duplicates could be submitted and non-C14 owners could be replying, even though they might have zero actual C14 experience (which is a bad thing).

Son of Pappy

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2012, 08:52:19 AM »
Possibly one of the guys I chose to be co-admin is a maroon. Maybe.

Go ahead, I dare you.  :P  :P  :P

Rick
:popcorn:  ;D

Sacrificial lamb ::)

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2012, 09:14:22 AM »
Way too many bikes to try before I die.

Blasphemy!!! :o
'02 C-10