Author Topic: Transmission fluid to the tank ?  (Read 10976 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Transmission fluid to the tank ?
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 07:09:52 PM »
...he thought she said gashole.

:rotflmao:

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 06:35:01 AM »
Back to topic.
What kind of transmission oil are the BMW boys dumping in their gas tanks?

Dexron (GM) ?
Type "F" (Ford)?
BMW?

Synthetic or non?

(Seriously-- DON'T DO IT!!)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 09:21:46 AM »
Well, now that we settled that I guess we won't hear back from JHV for another 6 months.    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 03:06:18 PM »
Back to topic.
What kind of transmission oil are the BMW boys dumping in their gas tanks?

Dexron (GM) ?
Type "F" (Ford)?
BMW?

Synthetic or non?

(Seriously-- DON'T DO IT!!)

He put Synthetic  Dextron VI

Offline katata1100

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 03:25:58 PM »
ATF fluid in the fuel :
1) Any oil added to the gas will reduce its octane. How much, I have no idea, might be a negligible amount.
2)  ATF will leave ash deposits. Again, the amount will be small, depends on the amount used.
While these problems might be small, I fail to see the upside.

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 10:41:22 AM »
I thought the addition of oil to gasoline would increase the octane. Please explain.
I add dexron to my old diesels once in a while, apparently keeps the injectors clean with all the detergents.
If added to the connie I would think an ounce would be plenty with a complete fill.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline PH14

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 11:14:28 AM »
I thought the addition of oil to gasoline would increase the octane. Please explain.
I add dexron to my old diesels once in a while, apparently keeps the injectors clean with all the detergents.
If added to the connie I would think an ounce would be plenty with a complete fill.

Yes, I believe you are right. It would raise the octane level I believe. Higher octane does not equate to more power. Octane is simply a measure of how much compression a fuel can withstand before detonating. Increased power can come from higher compression, which necessitates higher octane. A lower compression engine won't magically create more power with higher octane fuel, and most likely will produce less power with higher octane fuel. In any case, high octane fuel is a waste of money in an engine that doesn't have the compression to require its use.

Offline feelergaugephil

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2012, 07:56:35 PM »
WOW! why dont you burn him at the stake while he's down! he asked a simple question and you jump all over him!

500cc is way too much, in answer to your question, yes transmission fluid is a good assistance for an engine, it gets rid of carbon and free's off any crap sticking behind the piston rings, cleans intake valves and exhaust too.

As for water! not good in the tank, but CAN BE USED as a injection into the intake to break off carbon real quick, NOT a bucket full! its an old trick from years ago, mainly used on the intake nipple and a tube coming off it into a glass of water, then pinch the tube and with engine running and hot release/hold at frequent times the tube this will in effect break off any carbon thats flakey.

Same method as TRANSMISSION FLUID, Seafoam, injection cleaner, GM top engine cleaner, GM choke cleaner, carb cleaner.

So, to the ones that jumped all over his case, get your facts right before kicking him while he's down.

In answer to your question sir, yes, transmission fluid is good, but not 500cc, a few cap fulls should be quite sufficent.
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

13 Connie dressed in blue

Offline Shoe

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2012, 08:56:02 PM »
I was told a long time ago that the active ingredient in Marvel Mystery Oil is ATF! I've know people who have put ATF in their gas tank with no ill effects. I add Seafoam and Stabil. In small quantities I don't think ATF would hurt. It may even be beneficial to the fuel injectors.

Consider this. Would you put sugar in your gas tank? Well, Shell adds sugar cane ethanol to their gasoline. Think about that the next time you
put 10% ethanol in your tank.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2012, 06:36:55 AM »
WOW! why dont you burn him at the stake while he's down! he asked a simple question and you jump all over him!

500cc is way too much, in answer to your question, yes transmission fluid is a good assistance for an engine, it gets rid of carbon and free's off any crap sticking behind the piston rings, cleans intake valves and exhaust too.

As for water! not good in the tank, but CAN BE USED as a injection into the intake to break off carbon real quick, NOT a bucket full! its an old trick from years ago, mainly used on the intake nipple and a tube coming off it into a glass of water, then pinch the tube and with engine running and hot release/hold at frequent times the tube this will in effect break off any carbon thats flakey.

Same method as TRANSMISSION FLUID, Seafoam, injection cleaner, GM top engine cleaner, GM choke cleaner, carb cleaner.

So, to the ones that jumped all over his case, get your facts right before kicking him while he's down.

In answer to your question sir, yes, transmission fluid is good, but not 500cc, a few cap fulls should be quite sufficent.

Overreact much? He asked a question about his 'friend's' practice of adding trans fluid to his gas tank and people offered their opinions. I didn't see anyone kicking or burning him. 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2012, 08:31:34 AM »
His friend, however....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2012, 10:46:05 AM »

Octane is really a measurement of how gasoline burns.High octane burns faster so less risk of a knocking or pinging.
You don't want something with high octane in a diesel. In fact, you want the opposite. With diesel higher centane numbers are desirable. A rule of thumb is high centane fuel= low octane, High octane fuel= low cetane fuel.
Yes, oil can be added to diesel fuel. Heck, it might even help. But, that is because diesel fuel is oil to begin with! It is light oil but it is oil. The biodiesel I sometimes get for my VW is merely vegetable oil with the glycerin removed.
Oil doesn't burn evenly though so adding it to gas will lower octane. This also why cars that burn oil (like have bad valve seals) will ping- the oil in the combustion area is not burning evenly so you get knock.

So in summary, adding oil will reduce your octane level. Add enough oil and the low cetane level of gasoline will go up enough for it  be unusable in a gas engine, but usable in a diesel motor (not that I'd use a fuel gas in a diesel).

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
I was told a long time ago that the active ingredient in Marvel Mystery Oil is ATF! I've know people who have put ATF in their gas tank with no ill effects. I add Seafoam and Stabil. In small quantities I don't think ATF would hurt. It may even be beneficial to the fuel injectors.

If your curious enough to look (MSDS) you will find that while MMO is not made from ATF you will find that they are both made from the same base stocks to which the same can be said of likes of Stabil, Seafoam and many other fuel additives such as STP etc. Mineral Spirits, Napthenic Hydro Carbon, and Chlorinated Hydro Carbons are the 3 major components in MMO. MMO has been around since 1923 and was even used by the military as a fuel conditioner for early radial airplane engines.

BTW the recommended ratio is about 2 oz to 5 gallons; I did roughly that for years on end with nary an ill result on my old 72 CB750 Honda...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline PH14

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2012, 07:24:06 PM »
Octane is really a measurement of how gasoline burns.High octane burns faster so less risk of a knocking or pinging.

Octane is a measure of likely a fuel will self ignite, more specifically, how much compression a fuel can withstand before igniting.

I see no reason to add anything to the fuel. The modern engine on the C14 doesn't require anything. The modern fuel isn't dirty so it burns cleaner. The engine has a more precise fuel mixture causing it to burn cleaner lessening the build up of carbon.

A long time ago, I had a Scirroco, it was the first year they put fuel injection on the engine.  It had a mechanical fuel injection distributor. An arm ran rode against a cam that dictated the timing of the injection for each cylinder. One day it stuck, I didn't have time to look at it since I was leaving for a trip so my garage looked at it. They told me what was wrong and the mechanic said to run a cap full of Marvelous Mystery oil in the fuel to prevent it from sticking. He said it would add some lubrication. In that case it worked. When I ran the oil it never stuck, when I didn't, it did. Other than a mechanical issue like that, I see no benefit in putting oil into the fuel. It is simply not necessary, for any reason, at all, none, nada. I see only potential down sides, since the oil won't burn as cleanly as the fuel itself. On engines that have an oxygen sensor, I can see potential for damage. The C14 doesn't have one so that wouldn't be the case with it. But why do it? There is absolutely no reason. Will it extend the life of the engine? I doubt it when these could easily go over 100,000 miles or more without an issue, as long as you maintain it. As someone who has run many vehicles well over 100,000 miles on up to the 200,000 mile range by simply changing the oil and performing normal maintenance, I cannot fathom why someone would feel the need to put oil in the fuel. I see nothing but potential issues, time and money spent, for no gain.

Now, can we get back to car tires and synthetic oil?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2012, 09:34:34 PM »
This thread.....
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2012, 12:21:06 PM »
This thread.....

:popcorn:

Adding ?

or

Not Adding ?

;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 01:40:29 PM »
I think both, JH, but I think the consensus is not to do it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2012, 01:24:06 PM »
What if I put synthetic transmission oil in the car tires on my bike?  Any benefits to that?
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 01:51:41 PM »
What if I put synthetic transmission oil in the car tires on my bike?  Any benefits to that?

Only if you have 90 degree valve stems installed.

Offline PH14

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 02:37:20 PM »

I found that if you add synthetic transmission fluid in the car tires on the bike, it quiets down the balance beads.