Author Topic: Trailer purchase, soon to arrive  (Read 12383 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Trailer purchase, soon to arrive
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 07:28:49 AM »
2x6?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 12:36:26 PM »
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 02:04:36 PM »
Ooops!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline TownsendsFJR1300

• Knowledge is Power!
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2012, 05:03:37 AM »
If you are concerned about binding at the hitch I would look at a swivel hitch, which rotates 180 degrees. Having said that, there are  conflicting opinions on whether this is a necessary item as the standard hitch moves at least 45 degrees in each direction. I plan to check how far mine moves when I get the trailer. According to some, the ball hitch that moves from side to side can make the trailer move from side to side, they call this wagging the dog, causing an extreme situation  I would do my homework before buying any of these items but would opt for the swivel hitch as my first choice.

The below trailer (which I made for my old Goldwing) originally didn't have a swivel hitch.  With the Goldwing, I COULD NOT fully lean as the trailer would bind and stop the bike from actually leaning, now that's on a Wing.     Added a swivel hitch, problem gone.  Well worth the small investment especially for any ST...
2007 Yamaha FZ6, BD43 headlight mod, PIAA  bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, Techspec tank pads

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2012, 09:33:43 AM »
That sure is a pretty trailer.....I like it. Congratulations!
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline marku8a

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2012, 11:30:29 AM »
Any pics of the installed hitch while we're waiting for the trailer?

A couple of weeks ago, I attended the Progressive International Motorcycle Show at the Long Beach Convention Center. I did see a few C14s and one with a trailer hitch. I don't have any intention of pulling a trailer but thought you might like to see a few pics of the hitch.

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »
Thanks, Mark. It looks like someone spent a lot of time polishing that rear wheel.

Offline marku8a

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 01:27:06 PM »
Thanks, Mark. It looks like someone spent a lot of time polishing that rear wheel.

You're welcome & agreed about the wheel. It's funny that I didn't notice it until I got home and looked at the pics.
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2012, 04:46:46 PM »
Just got the trailer hooked up for the first time, still have to adjust the safety chain and wire length. Too wet for outside shots. I can fit our two bicycles inside the trailer with the seats off, the wheels will go on the cooler rack in the front. The fit is perfect, exactly the size we wanted. Will be very cautious on the first few times out.

That trailer is awesome.  Just curious how much gas mileage difference you noticed, and if the trailer has brakes?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2012, 06:30:16 PM »
That trailer is awesome.  Just curious how much gas mileage difference you noticed, and if the trailer has brakes?
Pretty sure the brake caliper You see there is on a Can Am Spyder that is parked next to him.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

ang

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 04:43:15 PM »
Steve, no brakes on the trailer, gas mileage not sure about yet as I have only been around the block a few times. The weather is not like Florida here in the Northwest!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2012, 08:30:05 AM »
Steve, no brakes on the trailer, gas mileage not sure about yet as I have only been around the block a few times. The weather is not like Florida here in the Northwest!

I've seen some with brakes that can be adjusted for engagement and was wondering if you elected to go that route.

Understand about the around the block a few times, thank you sir
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Slideways

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 09:29:58 PM »
Being a bicycle nut of the first degree I am wondering why you don't mount a couple of fork blocks on top of the trailer and transport the bikes on top leaving all of the interior for other stuff. Heck front wheels can easily be strapped to the bikes which is what I do with my current rack.
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

ang

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 12:19:48 PM »
Bikes on top of the trailer was never an option for us as we wanted them to be out of sight for security, also as light as the bikes are, 25 pounds for me is too much to carry on top. The bikes really do fit inside perfectly and give us room for a lot more stuff.

Offline booger

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2013, 02:18:13 PM »
That is one great looking rig. ;)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2013, 12:28:13 PM »

Hey I understand, I plugged a heated soon in as soon as I hit the GA border the other night...  I can't imagine the PNW!  :D