Author Topic: Trailer purchase, soon to arrive  (Read 12384 times)

ang

Trailer purchase, soon to arrive
« on: November 03, 2012, 03:07:10 PM »
When my wife and I take two or three week trips on the 14, the one thing we do miss is the ability to carry bicycles and camping gear.  We have taken the decision to purchase a trailer for that purpose.
First choice was to buy a Harbour Freight unit and make a few modifications but was quickly told that she was not going to travel thousand of miles on the 14 with a trailer that was not designed to be pulled by a motorcycle.
The trailer had to have enough room to put in two bicycles, wheels off, and cycling and camping gear. I think I looked at all available and came up with the Road Dog Gt, which has been ordered and will be shipped to Yorkton Saskatchewan and then on to Vancouver. Should arrive in a few weeks. I have installed the hitch from Bushtec and waiting for the harness and isolator to get here. Will post pictures when the trailer arrives.
http://www.roaddogtrailers.com/trailers_GT.asp

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Trailer purchase, soon to arrive
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »
Any pics of the installed hitch while we're waiting for the trailer?

Offline C14PAINKILLER

2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 05:00:09 PM »
Thanks for the link. I can't figure the hitch mounting points on the 14 with a single sided swingarm.

ang

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 07:10:24 PM »
The hitch mounting points are the back bolt of the foot peg mounting plate and the front bolt of the side case bolt, under the seat.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 07:24:12 PM »
We really appreciate those pictures, Ang.  Let us know how it goes.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 07:43:39 PM »
Those are some darned nice looking trailers for the money. I like the one with the soft top. It is only $1249 bucks. That is a great price, and it looks pretty good too.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline C14PAINKILLER

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 07:56:49 PM »
http://www.thirdwheeltrailers.com/

This site shows a C14 with bar and trailer. Just for comparison as well.
2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 08:47:45 AM »
Looking forward to the pics of the trailer on the bike
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 09:17:56 AM »
Nice looking trailer. Very pricey though. I have that Harbor Freight trailer which only cost $300. Have taken it on 2 long trips with NO problems. First trip was 1 month and 6800 mies. Second trip, this past summer was 1 month and 6300 miles. Again, NO problems. It's very light and holds alot of gear. I did look at other brand trailers, but just couldn't justify the cost to pull some gear along. The only mods I made was adding a homemade cooler rack (no cost, extra wood I had laying around) and a center stand (no cost, extra aluminum I had laying around).
  It just comes down to what you need, feel comfortable with and how much stuuf you intend on carrying.
 Great choice though!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 09:51:31 AM »
Just curious, do these have trailer brakes
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 10:29:57 AM »
I'm curious about the lean angle with a standard trailer hitch ball. Is it limited?
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline fsr402

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 06:34:53 AM »
I'm curious about the lean angle with a standard trailer hitch ball. Is it limited?
I am too. Used to pull a home made trailer on my FJ1100 back in the day but that used a swivel ball thingy and had 180* of rotation. 

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 07:52:07 AM »
I used a pivot ball from the trailer store. No problems with lean angle.

http://theusatrailerstore.com/freedom-pivot-ball-hitch.html

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 08:15:50 AM »

Very cool! Thanks, Brother!

Offline PH14

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 09:15:15 AM »

The sad thing is that they say it gives an appreciable lean angle, then show it attached to a Harley which doesn't. ::)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 09:24:41 AM »
Nice looking trailer. Very pricey though. I have that Harbor Freight trailer which only cost $300. Have taken it on 2 long trips with NO problems. First trip was 1 month and 6800 mies. Second trip, this past summer was 1 month and 6300 miles. Again, NO problems. It's very light and holds alot of gear. I did look at other brand trailers, but just couldn't justify the cost to pull some gear along. The only mods I made was adding a homemade cooler rack (no cost, extra wood I had laying around) and a center stand (no cost, extra aluminum I had laying around).
  It just comes down to what you need, feel comfortable with and how much stuuf you intend on carrying.
 Great choice though!

You blanked out Connie's license plate but not the trailer's.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

ang

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 01:11:46 PM »
If you are concerned about binding at the hitch I would look at a swivel hitch, which rotates 180 degrees. Having said that, there are  conflicting opinions on whether this is a necessary item as the standard hitch moves at least 45 degrees in each direction. I plan to check how far mine moves when I get the trailer. According to some, the ball hitch that moves from side to side can make the trailer move from side to side, they call this wagging the dog, causing an extreme situation  I would do my homework before buying any of these items but would opt for the swivel hitch as my first choice.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 04:05:34 PM by ang »

ang

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 06:32:55 PM »
Just got the trailer hooked up for the first time, still have to adjust the safety chain and wire length. Too wet for outside shots. I can fit our two bicycles inside the trailer with the seats off, the wheels will go on the cooler rack in the front. The fit is perfect, exactly the size we wanted. Will be very cautious on the first few times out.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 08:00:45 PM »
I can fit our two bicycles inside the trailer with the seats off, the wheels will go on the cooler rack in the front

So your two wheeler will pull a two wheeler that contains two two wheelers?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc