Author Topic: Aux lights and Murphs headlamp harness  (Read 3561 times)

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
  • How do you remove the rain magnet on this thing?
Aux lights and Murphs headlamp harness
« on: May 27, 2011, 09:49:13 PM »
I just installed Murph's wiring harness for main lamp, and I am planning on wiring the aux lights with the provided lead(s).  OK, here is the dilema.  I would like the option to have the aux lights on with both the high and low beam main.  I can just run both high and low aux leads into the relay, but I am wondering if there is going to be a flicker/momentary off when I use the switch?

I guess what I am asking, is anyone running a similar setup, or did you omit high beam aux lights (which I think is the legal way of doing it).

I have aux lights on my cruiser, but I just wired them through a switch that is independent of the headlight high/low switch.
NEKansas  AMA#273766, COG#8862, IBA#44917
2000 Concours 2001 KLR, 2013 HD Ultra Classic

Offline Tele130

Re: Aux lights and Murphs headlamp harness
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 10:36:55 PM »
I have Murphs headlight harness also but I didn't tap into it for my Hella Driving lights. I ran a separate harness for them. I too wanted to be able to select my high beam and still have my driving lights on!  So far,  So good.  :chugbeer: :thumbs:  I can past some pictures in the morning if needed.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline dbethel

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 11:46:16 PM »
I have Murph's headlight harness, and I wired the auxiliary lights to the battery through a relay and switch.  This way I can have the auxiliary lights on anytime.

D.

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:17:38 PM »
I ended running the lights on their own separate circuit to the lights...  I ran them on a test, installed the Buck Sport Tourning light bar, I hope to have them wired up either tommorrow or the next day...

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:14:04 PM »
I wired mine through a separate switch like the others, but the relays are triggered by the power to the hi-lo switch so they come on after the bike starts like the headlights.  I also wanted to be able to select what lights I ran when, and to shut off the aux lights when I come to the security gates on base.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline KenE

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 02:48:21 PM »
I did the aux lights- fog low  and deer on a buck bar- on the same key on relay circuit with a switch mounted on the dash above the left pocket hatch. I dont care for the reach to the switch (seems unsafe and distracting.)   I PLAN to find room for eastern beavers handlebar off-on-on switch-  (or other sourcing, I found it there first)

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Switches/switches.html

I am  not sure where I can fit it yet. The connie handlebar is busy already...
Good luck in your choices.
Oh- the Posi-tap T connectors simplify life quite a bit- but at a price point, I hate those crappy crimp connectors... I found them at EB as well (or other sourcing, I got mine there).
HTH
KenE

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 07:15:36 PM »

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Switches/switches.html

That is a great website...   I wish I had found it before...  I used a contura LED rocker (to match my murphs heated grips) on a three switch panel..  what I have found is that that switches are too high and they are impacted by the back of the running/turn signal.  So if someone likes this setup, go lower to avoid the blinker.

I also think the location is not condusive to a lot of on/off switching, as you have to take your hands off the bars.

Offline Dan in Grand Rapids

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 09:35:08 AM »
I would also like to have my aux lights linked to the headlight switch. The wiring diagram is very confusing in the manual. I ended up tying the aux lights into the wiring, but now they are only on with the high beams on. What power wire to the headlight switch would allow me to use aux lights and both high/low beam? Thanks in advance.
1997 Concours
1999 KLR 650

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 09:12:51 PM »
I powered my lights off of an aux fuse panel (not tied to the high/low switch at all)...  I originally wanted to use the power from Murph's harness, but had to decide between high or low.  I wanted the adde flexiblility or running independent of the head lamp....