Author Topic: Center Stand: when to use it?  (Read 15902 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Center Stand: when to use it?
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2012, 11:49:03 AM »

But keepin 'er up is another story eh C...  ;) ;D

Yep, a looooong story.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline danl

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2012, 01:43:59 PM »
I only use mine in the garage or when washing it in the driveway. The side stand works fine when I'm out on a ride, and I have one of those disk things in my tank bag if I'm parking in gravel or a soft surface.

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2012, 01:45:38 PM »
I only use mine in the garage or when washing it in the driveway. The side stand works fine when I'm out on a ride, and I have one of those disk things in my tank bag if I'm parking in gravel or a soft surface.

+1, occassionally when out, if on a very flat surface I will use the center stand, but not normally.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2012, 04:06:25 PM »
It is that way in New Jersey too, at least the last time I was there on a motorcycle- the times I've fueled there, the attendant would turn on the pump, remove the nozzle and hand it to me (easy boys!). When done, I would hand the pump back to the attendant. My wife worked with a woman who was from N.J. and didn't know HOW to pump her own fuel until moving further up the coast.

As far as getting off the bike to refuel, I am with Jay and just put the sidestand down.

I have never been able to get more fuel in the bike on the centerstand. In fact it seems to be the opposite; I can squeeze more fuel into the tank on the sidestand as long as the nozzle enters the tank from the left hand side which is how it usually works out in the US. :-)

Brian

You have to remember Oregon is about the only state left that won't let us pump our own gas.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2012, 06:29:09 PM »
Since I had to lower the bike, and I did not modify the center stand , it is mostly useless.  But even if it weren't, I still would not use it except on level concrete and for then only for maintenance.  It is more work and it is less stable.

I just wish someone would invent a "dual kickstand" concept- a second kickstand on the RIGHT side of the bike.  After placing the left kickstand, you kick/fold down the right stand and then push it down, extending it through a ratcheting clicker until it reaches the ground.  You then have FOUR contacts on the ground, making it virtually impossible to accidentally topple the bike.  Would be especially helpful on unusually graded surfaces.  To release the right stand, you have to press something else with your foot that releases the catch and a spring retracts it, then you fold it back up.

Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2012, 07:08:48 PM »
Talk to MGvaleri, he's our go to guy for turning ideas into farkles.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2012, 07:23:48 PM »
Another thread illustrating and proving the mad pow-ah of KiPass.... bikes so stable we have five pages of "center stand"
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2012, 06:01:34 AM »
Talk to MGvaleri, he's our go to guy for turning ideas into farkles.
This is the ancestor for me, but more than the current stands, in the near future the side stand will be a thing of the past.

http://youtu.be/bCJjZeOP8aw

MGvalerio. 8)
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2012, 11:13:24 AM »
I'm with the camp that only uses the centerstand for maintenance. In three years I've only had it up there maybe twenty times. And that includes the first couple times just to see if I could do it (scary!).

When gassing up, I usually don't get off the bike. I do hold it upright to try to get more gas in the gashole. After reading what others are writing, I'll have to try it with the sidestand down now to see if it makes any difference.

Offline PH14

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2012, 11:32:53 AM »
This is the ancestor for me, but more than the current stands, in the near future the side stand will be a thing of the past.

http://youtu.be/bCJjZeOP8aw

MGvalerio. 8)

No matter how well engineered, a side stand will always offer more stability due to its wider three point stance. In the garage, when I want to work on the bike or simply sit on it for whatever reason, I will use the center stand, when parking outside it is on the side stand. There is simply no way to make a center stand more stable without making it drastically wider making it impossible to corner. Maybe an answer would be to make a center stand retract into a position that makes it tip over protection like canyon cages, or better yet outriggers for more protection on slick surfaces.  ::) For me, I will take  the simplicity and stability of a side stand.

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2012, 01:54:38 PM »
For me, I will take  the simplicity and stability of a side stand.

Right! if your C14 had a parking brake I might as well share your words.

MGvalerio. 8)

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2012, 02:45:18 PM »

MGvalerio. 8)

Good point!  Why isn't there a parking brake type feature? Leaving it in gear helps but isn't the same thing.
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2012, 03:40:58 PM »
Good point!  Why isn't there a parking brake type feature? Leaving it in gear helps but isn't the same thing.
...sigh.........wait for it.....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2012, 04:34:47 AM »
...sigh.........wait for it.....

:rotflmao:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline PH14

« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2012, 09:39:53 AM »

MGvalerio. 8)

Interesting thing about that. My C14 has a manual transmission which, when in gear, makes it very difficult to roll off the stand if parked properly. In 33 years of riding on the street, I have never had a bike roll off the side stand, ever. I live in a very hilly region as well.

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2012, 09:51:51 AM »
OK PH14  :)

MGvalerio. 8)

Offline PH14

« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2012, 10:16:03 PM »