Author Topic: Center Stand: when to use it?  (Read 15892 times)

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Re: Center Stand: when to use it?
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2012, 07:25:48 PM »
Guys, please let's get back on topic....Center Stand Chronicles.

If you want to talk about self service gas or the lack thereof start a new thread in Open.  Thanks.

Okay, okay.  I only use the center stand for maintenance.  Side stand for everything else.  Even stay on the bike for fueling, but put the side stand down until the last gallon, then stand the bike up straight to finish off the tank.

I carry a side stand puck in my tank bag in case I need to park on a soft or potentially soft surface.  I think it says BMW on it.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2012, 07:31:21 PM »
Guys, please let's get back on topic....Center Stand Chronicles.

If you want to talk about self service gas or the lack thereof start a new thread in Open.  Thanks.

Grumpy moderator!!!!  :battle:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena

Son of Pappy

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2012, 09:36:40 PM »
What is more stable, a narrow triangle or a wide triangle?  Weight distributed evenly over three points vs the majority centered over two?  FWIW, it helps to turn the bars to the left when parking with the side stand.  Jay and I have a secret advantage, we carry a tin lid to use as an emergency puck ;D
Anyone have a small digital scale to measure how much weight is on each point of contact (POC)?  My guess is approx. %33 per POC on the side stand and %45/%45/%10 when using the CS.  That is %90 spread out over what, an 8"x1/2" area?  That may work for a tree house but I outgrew that last year ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2012, 09:46:11 PM »
Jay and I have a secret advantage, we carry a tin lid to use as an emergency puck ;D

:chugbeer:

Offline Ddfee

• Be the person your dog thinks you are
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2012, 10:54:06 PM »
Yes...back to the centre stand issue...

1)I use mine for extended periods of sitting idle ie: winter storage and for fueling as I have an aux tank to fill as well...

2) the more pertinent question is if one is worried about using the centre stand and the perils that entails, how does the originator of this thread feel about high speed cornering with knee to ground and/or pegs ablazin?

I mean a bike with damn near 160 hp and you're worried about the centre stand?

I do not mean any disrespect and I am all for the premise that there is no such thing as a stupid question....but seriously!?

Respectfully

Dave
2011 C14
2003 Honda GL 1800
2000 Honda Blackbird
IBA Member

Offline pistole

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2012, 10:58:10 PM »
- as the bike is garaged most of the week waiting for the weekend , it sits on her centerstand.

- as for the sidestand : agree that its actually the more stable platform when compared to the centerstand because of the larger "footing".

- but this had happened to me recently : parked at a road shoulder. The asphalt tapers off towards the sides. My sidestand sits on this tapered portion (which results in more lean for the bike) and when I got back onto the bike , I couldn't lift the bike off the sidestand because of the weight + lean. Eventually got brain in gear , got off the bike and muscled the bike off the sidestand whilst levering/pushing on the bars.

- its always a worry-moment as you slowly let the bike down towards the sidestand when the ground is tapering away from you ....

Offline ugocon

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2012, 02:17:36 AM »
the more pertinent question is if one is worried about using the centre stand and the perils that entails, how does the originator of this thread feel about high speed cornering with knee to ground and/or pegs ablazin?

I mean a bike with damn near 160 hp and you're worried about the centre stand?

A bike is made by many components and one (or better, two...) are the stands.
Since my major issues with this bike have been handling it when at zero speed I'm asking about it.

I admit that now I'm far more confortable in handling it than few months ago: a matter of experience.
Nevertheless, I'm really scared every time I need to get off the bike using the side stand.
Am I on a flat surface?
Is the surface sturdy enough?
Am I putting the tip of the stand at a lower level (a slope, for instance) than the tyres contact poit so the bike will lean too much?
These are some of the questions I have EVERY TIME I stop the bike.
Paranoic??? Maybe, but that's it! :)

Reading the feedbacks so far I notice that you mainly use the side stand. I will reconsider my approach.

When filling at gas station I always get off the bike because I have to go the cash desk to pay or, if the station is unattended, I have to deal with the cash machine. Thus I always put the bike on the center stand, also because I always fill the tank till the last drop!  :D

I say agian, my main concern with the side stand is when you get the bike leaning to much that is increasing the pressure on the stick and, perhaps unmotivatedly, seems to me that it could break!  :o

Thank you all for your replies.
 :)

Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2012, 03:58:09 AM »

Grumpy moderator!!!!  :battle:

>:( ;D :P

I've had the center stand sink into hot asphalt once and I had a devil of a time rocking it out of the pits it created.  I don't believe I had this issue with the C10 as it (I think) was more of a bar going across at the bottom so more of it was on the asphalt itself.  After that, I learned never to use it on a hot day unless it was on concrete.

As far as filling goes, I get off the bike and have been putting it up on the center stand but our beloved Brian (not you Poke  ;) ) has mentioned that he thought you got more gas in it while on the side stand.  Anyway, I just fill the crap out of it no matter what stand it takes.  That's my stand.

I also think it's dangerous to fill while sitting on the bike but that's me and I don't do it.  Never got into that habit.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2012, 04:45:55 AM »
Hello primitive men for refueling. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

MGvalerio. 8)
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2012, 06:11:47 AM »
I never heard of a center-stand before this sport tourer.  And you know what, its not been as much fun as real stands have  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2012, 06:50:22 AM »
stevewfl :)To each his own. ;)

http://youtu.be/KdlBbks-kUY

MGvalerio 8)
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2012, 08:56:39 AM »
I am of the camp that:

1) Only uses the center stand for maintenance and cleaning.  I hate wrestling the beast on the center stand more than necessary.

2) Gets off my bike to gas up.  I have to stretch and clean my visor.

3) Doesn't feel the need to stand the bike upright to get "every last drop."  I can fill it as full on the sidestand anyway.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2012, 09:30:23 AM »
I am of the camp that:

1) Only uses the center stand for maintenance and cleaning.  I hate wrestling the beast on the center stand more than necessary.

2) Gets off my bike to gas up.  I have to stretch and clean my visor.

3) Doesn't feel the need to stand the bike upright to get "every last drop."  I can fill it as full on the sidestand anyway.

+1  But in regard to #1 above, I don't have any problems with gettin 'er up.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2012, 10:14:01 AM »
For the sidestand, this is your friend.

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?products_id=158
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2012, 10:23:35 AM »
Unless it falls off...  Use some tightener on the screws.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2012, 10:42:52 AM »
For the sidestand, this is your friend.

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?products_id=158
That just looks way to easy to make then to be ordering it from somebody.

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2012, 11:05:58 AM »
Reading the quotes above from another topic I take the opportunity to ask you all what is your usage of the center and side stand.

I'm talking about "default" center stand, not modified by Valerio!!!  ::) ;) ;D

I start with my behaviour on this, obviously...

I always try to put the bike on the center stand and use the side stand only for short time parking.
This because to me the side stand looks so thin compared to the weight of the bike that I'm always scared to see it suddendly cracking!  :o
Also, I think that the bike is way more stable on the center stand and less exposed to drops by accidental hits by people, kids, cars.
Moreover with the side stand the pressure is concentrated on one spot only and you must be sure that the surface is solid, whilst with the center stand you distribute evenly the weight on the ground.

I'd like to read your opinions on it: I'm always willing to learn and, why not, to change my mind if worth it  :D

ugo,
  I agree with centerstand use, anytime it's possible (concrete surface, mostly level) but not because the side stand is unstable.  the 3-point stance of the sidestand and both tires (or tye rees if you prefer) is much more stable than the two small spots of the center stand legs and the slight contact of the front tire.   If you ever travel on ferries, they will instruct you to sidestand the bike, NOT centerstand.   Docking and rough seas WILL topple a bike off it's centerstand.  I've seen it firsthand on Puget Sound ferries.
'84 R100RS Pearl White Last Edition
'93 K1100LT Astral Blue Metallic
'96 R1100RT Sine Blue  Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
'10 C14 Candy Neptune Blue         Born OK the First Time

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2012, 11:15:20 AM »
But that kid still hands you the pump huh?  ;)

The small print in the law says it's ok to pump your own if you are on a motorcycle or if it's diesel.  :nuts:

Keeping the unskilled off the welfare ranks is a good thing.  I have never had them refuse to let me fill my tank in OR, just stand there waiting for the 'kid' to hand you the nozzle. 
'84 R100RS Pearl White Last Edition
'93 K1100LT Astral Blue Metallic
'96 R1100RT Sine Blue  Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
'10 C14 Candy Neptune Blue         Born OK the First Time

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2012, 11:47:43 AM »
+1  But in regard to #1 above, I don't have any problems with gettin 'er up.    ;)

But keepin 'er up is another story eh C...  ;) ;D