Author Topic: Center Stand: when to use it?  (Read 15636 times)

Offline ugocon

Center Stand: when to use it?
« on: October 22, 2012, 09:16:13 AM »
The only time my bike is ever on the center stand is when I am doing maintenance on it.

+1  Putting the bike on the CS while parking in public is asking for trouble.

Reading the quotes above from another topic I take the opportunity to ask you all what is your usage of the center and side stand.

I'm talking about "default" center stand, not modified by Valerio!!!  ::) ;) ;D

I start with my behaviour on this, obviously...

I always try to put the bike on the center stand and use the side stand only for short time parking.
This because to me the side stand looks so thin compared to the weight of the bike that I'm always scared to see it suddendly cracking!  :o
Also, I think that the bike is way more stable on the center stand and less exposed to drops by accidental hits by people, kids, cars.
Moreover with the side stand the pressure is concentrated on one spot only and you must be sure that the surface is solid, whilst with the center stand you distribute evenly the weight on the ground.

I'd like to read your opinions on it: I'm always willing to learn and, why not, to change my mind if worth it  :D
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline davidnixon

Re: Center Stand: when to use it?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 09:47:42 AM »
I use the centerstand when conditions allow (level lot or garage), my theory being that it takes a load off the springs...
'09 CONC
'98 CONC (sold)
'98 CR 250

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 09:49:28 AM »
I also only put my bike on center stand on level surface for maintenance. If you look at the distance of the edge of center stand to the center of gravity this is much less then when using the side stand. So even on a level surface there is more possibility of the bike tipping. On a non level surface forget it. I agree that the area of the side stand is way too small and can sink into any soft surface so I solved that by adding a "Big Foot" from Projekt D.

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_39&products_id=158

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 10:32:45 AM »
The only reason to have a centerstand on the bike is to do maintenance when the bike is on a level, solid surface such as a garage floor.  The bike is much more stable for general parking when the side stand is being used.  A simple test would be to try to tip the bike over in both scenarios.  You will find it is much easier to push the bike over when on it's center stand.  Always try this test with an assistant.   

As for the side stand sinking into hot pavement more than a centerstand, well, as Rhino says, put something with a larger footprint under it, even a crushed beer can will do.  If you don't, the bike will sink into the pavement, but probably won't tip over.  My C14 has been leaned over quite a bit, but still "upright" when I've forgotten to put something under the pad.   In the same scenario, with the centerstand, the side in the sunlight will sink in, while the other side will not, resulting in a tipped over bike. 

The sidestand is not fragile.  The weight of the bike is no where near what it would take to fail the sidestand in a compression failure.  The steel in the side stand is incredibly strong, especially in a compressed mode.  When my girlfriend and I go riding I put the bike on the sidestand for mounting and dismounting.  She gets on, then I get on, all with the bike on the sidestand and with all of our gear on the bike.  Probably an extra 500 lbs.  No problem. 

Finally, there is no reason to take load off the springs.  They are made to withstand much higher forces than the weight of the bike and will never fail for that reason.

Just my opinion, let's hear others.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:39:34 AM »
Other than my concrete garage floor for maintenance, cleaning, and loading baggage  the only use for it would be to file an insurance claim because it "fell over" while parked on some warm asphalt.

Maybe the manual has a good answer LoL
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 10:41:19 AM »
Anytime mine is in the garage, it is on the center stand. The ninja is on the rear stand. All other times they are on the side stands.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 11:35:22 AM »
I use it everytime I fill up with gas, to help me get as much fuel in that tank as possible.

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 12:00:17 PM »
I use it everytime I fill up with gas, to help me get as much fuel in that tank as possible.

Ditto, I put mine on the center stand also while fueling. otherwise it lives on the side stand.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 12:06:11 PM »

Ditto, I put mine on the center stand also while fueling. otherwise it lives on the side stand.

:o  You get off your bike to gas up??

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »
I only use the center stand for maintenance. Usually after a long ride I am fatigued and could see the balancing needed to use the center stand could be a problem and a drop could ensue. Even here in So. Cal. the asphalt gets hot but if it would sink enough to drop the bike with the side stand wouldn't it also with the center stand?
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 12:24:24 PM »

Yup, I do. gives me a chance to stretch the legs, and relieve the butt.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 01:04:47 PM »

You have to remember Oregon is about the only state left that won't let us pump our own gas.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 01:16:22 PM »
There was a pic somewhere on this forum a while back of two C14's laying down in a parking lot and one of the owners posted about how dissatisfied they were with the center-stands !
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 01:18:09 PM »
Only on concrete...or in my garage for maint.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 01:42:19 PM »
You have to remember Oregon is about the only state left that won't let us pump our own gas.
You're not kidding?

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 01:50:10 PM »
It's tight in my garage, so I use the center stand. Only other time is when Im refueling.
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 01:54:34 PM »
You're not kidding?
No I am not kidding. Jay is used to handing someone his credit card and them handing him the pump in return, and if they are nice they will give him a paper towel.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 01:56:56 PM »
Only other time is when Im refueling.
I have never even thought about putting it on the center stand when refueling. I am going to have to test that out next time I fuel up, which it looks like it will be sometime next year since the rain has started here in Oregon.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 02:11:54 PM »

Huh?  ???

I ALWAYS pump my own gas for my bikes, and have never had any station take issue with it in Oregon...

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 02:33:42 PM »

Huh?  ???

I ALWAYS pump my own gas for my bikes, and have never had any station take issue with it in Oregon...
But that kid still hands you the pump huh?  ;)

The small print in the law says it's ok to pump your own if you are on a motorcycle or if it's diesel.  :nuts: