Author Topic: remaining fuel  (Read 13773 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
remaining fuel
« on: October 22, 2012, 08:50:54 AM »
I try to make the most out of every tank when I'm on a trip to minimise dead time (like while refueling) or just because I like it that way.
I know it sounds extreme but I like to refuel only when I'm running on fumes.
Now, do you know if there is any aftermarket thingy that can be fitted to a bike to tell the remaining amount of fuel in small increments for the last gallon or so?
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline So Cal Joe

Re: remaining fuel
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 08:54:19 AM »
Put your display on the miles to empty mode.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:56:49 AM »

I never tried that  :banghead:
Since it changes all the time I though it had mad cow decease and dismissed it ever since.
Is it that accurate (at least at reading the fuel in the tank, not calculating how much it will last)?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:11:15 AM »
Keep in mind that the fuel pump lives inside the tank and is cooled by the gas inside there.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 09:25:09 AM »
Not that I have seen but if you like taking risks then one of these may be in order
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/twisted-throttle-s-msr-30oz-fuel-bottle

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 09:25:59 AM »
Haven't heard of any aftermarket 'thingy', but I also have that same (bad?) habit.  In the interest of full disclosure, the fuel pumping through the pump is used to cool the pump (protects it from overheating, reduces wear).

So, I have  a system that I use.  I always fill the tank right to the rim (never fill it this way if you're going to park it).  I also reset the Average and trip 'A' meters.

When I'm getting low on fuel, I'll monitor the trip "A" odometer, and the Average fuel consumption display, and do the math in my head for distance to empty, based on slightly less than what I know the tank was last filled to.  I say 'slightly less' because the Average reading can mess you up if the consumption rate of the end of the tank is much higher than the majority of that tank.

For example, in US values, I know I can put 6.2 gallons in the tank.  Then, when getting low, I will multiply 6 times the Average value to recalculate my range, and compare it against the trip A reading.  The extra 0.2 gallons is left as a buffer, though on occasion I will factor it in if the consumption rate for that tank has been very consistent.

You need to be aware of the rate of consumption, because if the last gallon was all low gear / high RPM, the average will not reflect it (trust me, I know this from experience).

Most will say 'just stop for fuel sooner'.  Obviously they don't share our affliction.  Besides, where's the sport in that?

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 09:38:42 AM »

That display is useless after 'Low Fuel' is displayed.   ;)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 11:50:44 AM »
I like to refuel only when I'm running on fumes.

You'd be walking a lot around these parts.

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 02:01:29 PM »
The Low Fuel display can be turned off. I know it's explained in the owners manual somewhere.
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
The Low Fuel display can be turned off. I know it's explained in the owners manual somewhere.
Hold the top button for a few seconds then push the bottom button on the dash, but like Rob said the 'miles to empty' goes away once the low fuel indicator has been activated.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 03:03:08 PM »

That does not work on a Concours when you have triggered the "Low Fuel" warning.  What you have to do is as soon as you get the warning, reset one of your trip meters so you will know how many miles you have gone on the remaining fuel.  You can estimate how much fuel is left based on your typical MPG and that you have 1.1 gal remaining.  I always recommend you don't push it too far :)   (For example, I typically can get 42MPG with no problem, so I will start getting concerned when I have gone 20 and very nervous at 35.)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 03:39:15 PM »
You'd be walking a lot around these parts.
:thumbs:  There's quite a few see gas/buy gas stretchs of country here in the colonys.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 04:57:13 PM »
Keep in mind that the fuel pump lives inside the tank and is cooled by the gas inside there.

Yup, see no logical reason why pushing near fumes for that exact reason, and I think it typically takes less than 5 minutes to refuel.......yeah that is allot of wasted time.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline pistole

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 11:09:42 PM »
- how accurate is the "remaining mileage" reading ?

- the reason i ask is that i find the fuel gauge (the "bars") very misleading. Eg , the "bar" may be near the bottom but when i refuel , less that half a full-tank of fuel can go in (since I know a full tank is 22 liters/5.8 gallons)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 12:43:23 AM »
good points here:
- I forgot (as I said, I don't use it) that the "remaining miles" display is useless after the low fuel warning.
- Pokey: as C1xRider put it, we don't have to drive the same way. There are good reasons why I do what I do, but it would make it a long post and it wouldn't address my question.
- cablebandit: per law, in the Autostrada (Italian highways) there's gas every 25 miles or so. In Germany can be a bit more. It always makes me laugh when I hear a European saying "I was in the middle of nowhere!". No, you weren't  ::)
- does somebody know what's the safe limit to push the range before the fuel pump is no longer submerged in fuel? That would be my limit, and (repeating my OP) I would like to know if there is any device that allows me to control accurately how much fuel I have left in the tank  :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 02:04:56 AM by martin_14 »

Offline jonathan

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 07:56:49 AM »
There are places around here where the next gas available is 200km (120miles) so you have to plan your gas stops. Remember: the only time you can have too much gas is when you're on fire.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 09:01:07 AM »
Remember: the only time you can have too much gas is when you're on fire.
Or in an elevator

Or in bed  ;D   

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 09:06:37 AM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Just Krusen

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 12:51:32 PM »
My bike regularly takes 4.6 gallons just when the low fuel light comes on.  That leaves me 1.2 gallons.  Which means I am still good for 40 -50 miles depending on how I'm riding.  Most of my fill ups seem to be around 5.3 gallons or so.  Close enough for me.
Ed Kruse
Naples FL
'02 GL1800 ABS
'11 Concours 14

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 01:12:02 PM »
- how accurate is the "remaining mileage" reading ?

- the reason i ask is that i find the fuel gauge (the "bars") very misleading. Eg , the "bar" may be near the bottom but when i refuel , less that half a full-tank of fuel can go in (since I know a full tank is 22 liters/5.8 gallons)

I was riding this past weekend and refilled after 75 miles (top bar was gone on the "gauge") and it took 1.9 gallons.  Almost two gallons for the first first bar must be why the rest of the bars seem to disappear so much quicker, or the fact that I fill past the interior floor plate on the gas hole.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.