Author Topic: How many watts can bike put out for heated gear  (Read 7189 times)

Offline Bikerdad

• My bike 2012 Black
How many watts can bike put out for heated gear
« on: October 02, 2012, 04:58:52 PM »
I am thinking of buying a heated vest for the wife and was wondering what are the limitations on wattage consumption on a new 2012 connie

Ron
C-14 Black 2012

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: How many watts can bike put out for heated gear
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 05:41:27 PM »
I am thinking of buying a heated vest for the wife and was wondering what are the limitations on wattage consumption on a new 2012 connie

That depends on a lot of factors- like what other accessories are installed running.  I have an electric seat (~24W) and electric vest (~35W) along with additional lighting (~45W) and have no problems running that plus a GPS and the heated grips.   That said, I don't know exactly what the limits are, but adding a few heated vests will not phase the Concours at all.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 05:44:18 PM »
Don't sweat it. I run heated grips, Jacket, pants, seat, and have the ol' lady with her vest. Never had an issue.

To be honest, I've never ran the heated seat at the same time as the heated pants, but I'm sure I could. 8)

I have seen the headlamps dim with the controller indicator at a stop, but it clears up once underway. ;)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 08:38:30 AM »
I know that some of the guys are running 2 sets of heated gear without problems.  I think that Brian(BDF) is one that runs both.  If your worried abt it change the head lamps to the HID bulbs(35 watts), it will give you a few more amps to play with and a little more light on the road.

Good Luck,
Fred

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 09:15:23 AM »
Bikerdad  :)

fino ad un assorbimento di 70 w puoi chiedere al tuo C14,se metti invece 2 lampade al BI-XENON 6000 K. assorbano 70w contro i 120w con lampade attuali ,
quindi con BI-XENON puoi chiedere al tuo C14 la bellezza di 120w.

MGvalerio. 8)
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 09:48:32 AM »
In addition to HID's you can also swap out any regular filament lights to LED.  On my Vstrom I had to install a cutoff for one of the headlights to get back 55 watts.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 10:05:32 AM »
Yep, that is right- we use two full sets of heated Gerbings head to toe (jacket liner, heated pants, gloves and socks) without any problem all winter.

I had posted a detailed list of what the clothing used for current along with a 'best guess' as to how much of that capacity we could use before the system voltage dropped to approximately 13 volts but it went away with the old forum and I don't have a copy of that data anywhere. As I remember, the final load was something more than 300 watts of use for heated clothes alone, and then all the other electrical things (GPS, Comm system, glove box lights, etc.) but nothing other than the actual heated gear draws any appreciable amount of current. So for what the OP asked about, it just will not be a problem.

By the way, the two things that do draw a considerable amount of power are headlights and anything that makes heat (clothing, grips, heated seat). This is unfortunate too because a lot of the long distance bike riders use a lot of both- especially lights. Most sport touring bikes do not have a great deal of alternator capacity and so bikes like a C-14 and FJR can be at the electrical supply limit fairly quickly. Again, this is not for normal use but running two sets of heated clothing along with at least one pair of high performance driving lights will ask more than what is available from the alternator. Some of the FJR long distance folks have been fencing with this issue for years. I am not bashing Yamaha here because we C-14 folks are in the same boat and it will be an identical problem as the C-14 gains ground in the long distance community. But again, none of this applies to any kind of usual use of the bikes. And Kawasaki was kind enough to include a voltmeter with the bike's instruments so we can keep an eye on it. Increasing the load on the system results in reduced system voltage (simple physics) so we can easily see how we are doing. The system voltage should not drop below 13.0 or better yet, about 13.2 to make sure the battery is charging, at least when the engine is above 2,500 RPM. The voltage can dip down into the 12 volt range when idling as long as it is not for extended amounts of time (more than a minute or less).

Brian

I know that some of the guys are running 2 sets of heated gear without problems.  I think that Brian(BDF) is one that runs both.  If your worried abt it change the head lamps to the HID bulbs(35 watts), it will give you a few more amps to play with and a little more light on the road.

Good Luck,
Fred
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 11:03:04 AM »
Le 2 lampade dei fari del C14 assorbano 110/120 w ,equivalente a 8 Ah ,la batteria è da 14 Ah,come si può avere 300 w a disposizione senza scaricare la batteria???

mi piacerebbe sapere come!!!

8)MGvalerio.
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 11:49:09 AM »
Kawasaki was kind enough to include a voltmeter with the bike's instruments so we can keep an eye on it. Increasing the load on the system results in reduced system voltage (simple physics) so we can easily see how we are doing. The system voltage should not drop below 13.0 or better yet, about 13.2 to make sure the battery is charging, at least when the engine is above 2,500 RPM. The voltage can dip down into the 12 volt range when idling as long as it is not for extended amounts of time (more than a minute or less).

Brian

That's some great info there Brian that I didn't know, thanks for sharing, I'll make sure to keep an eye on that gauge when running my new heated gear.  :)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 12:02:12 PM »
Glad to help if I can but as I remember, you are only using a heated jacket liner and heated gloves- that will not show up on the voltmeter and will be a 'walk in the park' for the electrical system on a C-14. Even heat- to- foot heated gear, used on high (or simply plugged in without a controller or switch) is not a strain for a stock C-14. The problem comes in when two people use full gear and even then only when it is turned up about 90% of the way (best guess here- judging PWM 'ON' time by watching a light blink is not very scientific). Most of the time Andrea and I probably run our gear between 1/2 and 3/4 of its output unless the outside temp. is down in the mid- 20's (F) or lower.

Brian

That's some great info there Brian that I didn't know, thanks for sharing, I'll make sure to keep an eye on that gauge when running my new heated gear.  :)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 12:19:30 PM »
Glad to help if I can but as I remember, you are only using a heated jacket liner and heated gloves- that will not show up on the voltmeter and will be a 'walk in the park' for the electrical system on a C-14. Even heat- to- foot heated gear, used on high (or simply plugged in without a controller or switch) is not a strain for a stock C-14. The problem comes in when two people use full gear and even then only when it is turned up about 90% of the way (best guess here- judging PWM 'ON' time by watching a light blink is not very scientific). Most of the time Andrea and I probably run our gear between 1/2 and 3/4 of its output unless the outside temp. is down in the mid- 20's (F) or lower.

Brian

Hopefully true, but I've also got heated F&R Corbin seats, radar, gps, and probably something else I'm forgetting. Plus I purposely went with the dual controller in case I want to add the pant liners or socks or insoles etc later (or sooner  ;) ).

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 01:09:26 PM »
The general electronics (GPS, radar detector, etc.) can just be ignored as far as an electrical load on the bike.

The heated grips on a C-14 draw less than 5 amps, which is less than 60 watts, and even that only when they are fully on (not turned down at all).

As I said, with stock lighting, one set of full heated gear is no problem for the bike's alternator.

If you (or anyone else) really want to know what each item is drawing, I can outline a method that will be fairly easy and only take an inexpensive current meter to actually measure what the load is on the bike rather than guesstimating.

Brian

Hopefully true, but I've also got heated F&R Corbin seats, radar, gps, and probably something else I'm forgetting. Plus I purposely went with the dual controller in case I want to add the pant liners or socks or insoles etc later (or sooner  ;) ).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 02:58:06 PM »
In addition to HID's you can also swap out any regular filament lights to LED.

The only regular filament lights on the Concours are the turn signals, which are all 1156.  And, unfortunately, not a single LED 1156 bulb I have seen is anywhere near as bright or with correct light distribution compared to an incandescent.   I would *LOVE* to change them, but until someone makes one that is at least as good as incandescent, I won't be changing.

(And if you do change, you have to switch to an electronic flasher or use a load resistor... and if you use a load resistor, that totally defeats any power savings)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 03:44:02 PM »
The only regular filament lights on the Concours are the turn signals, which are all 1156.  And, unfortunately, not a single LED 1156 bulb I have seen is anywhere near as bright or with correct light distribution compared to an incandescent.   I would *LOVE* to change them, but until someone makes one that is at least as good as incandescent, I won't be changing.

(And if you do change, you have to switch to an electronic flasher or use a load resistor... and if you use a load resistor, that totally defeats any power savings)

Good thing I don't use my blinkers Max...  ;)   :stirpot:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 03:59:34 PM »

If you (or anyone else) really want to know what each item is drawing, I can outline a method that will be fairly easy and only take an inexpensive current meter to actually measure what the load is on the bike rather than guesstimating.

Brian

You know, Brian, I think you should outline that method.  I'd be interested in seeing it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 04:01:11 PM »
And that pesky license plate bulb- that one is incandescent also and can be hard to cross to a 'real' lamp number, or at least it was for me.

But of course you are right in that there are really no incandescent lamps worth bothering with on a C-14 to save power. I think the license plate light is 5 watts and if you are that close to being over the electrical load limit you should probably rethink the coffee pot or toaster or something....

Brian

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 04:35:03 PM »
And that pesky license plate bulb- that one is incandescent also and can be hard to cross to a 'real' lamp number, or at least it was for me.

Good catch- I forgot about that one.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 05:02:34 PM »
My dealer caught that the license plate bulb was out during an inspection. Being the great guys that they are, they asked me if I wanted to change it myself or have them do it- figuring it would cost a surprising amount at a dealer I opted to replace it myself. Turns out that chasing that nasty, #@%$*(% bulb down was like finding chicken teeth. A bunch of lamps look <close> but were wrong for some reason or another. Eventually (after maybe a week of looking here and there) I found them locally as part number 5007 (I think) and they were something like $4 for two bulbs- the dealer wanted $2.50 and would have put it in for me (easy boys!)- I guess I showed them, huh? The moral of the story is that sometimes it is just easier to pay $0.70 cents for a bolt that is in your hand at the local store rather than knowing that they can be had for $0.04 each (ahem... by the box of 100) from two time zones away and shipping will be $5.99. Put another way 'We will spare no expense in saving money!'

But at least I have a spare bulb.... except that I think I lost that one so the one I did buy cost me $4.00

:-(

Brian

Good catch- I forgot about that one.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »
My dealer caught that the license plate bulb was out during an inspection. Being the great guys that they are, they asked me if I wanted to change it myself or have them do it- figuring it would cost a surprising amount at a dealer I opted to replace it myself. Turns out that chasing that nasty, #@%$*(% bulb down was like finding chicken teeth. A bunch of lamps look <close> but were wrong for some reason or another. Eventually (after maybe a week of looking here and there) I found them locally as part number 5007 (I think) and they were something like $4 for two bulbs- the dealer wanted $2.50 and would have put it in for me (easy boys!)- I guess I showed them, huh? The moral of the story is that sometimes it is just easier to pay $0.70 cents for a bolt that is in your hand at the local store rather than knowing that they can be had for $0.04 each (ahem... by the box of 100) from two time zones away and shipping will be $5.99. Put another way 'We will spare no expense in saving money!'

But at least I have a spare bulb.... except that I think I lost that one so the one I did buy cost me $4.00

:-(

Brian

I guess you didn't look here:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1650.msg17493#msg17493

Might have saved you some time.... ::)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline udoggie

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 05:51:24 PM »
Does anyone know what the alternator (or whatever it's called on a motorcycle :-)  output is rated at on the 2012 C14?

That pretty much is the 1st order limitation.

UD
Aloha, OR.