Author Topic: K&N air filter .... waste of $$'s ??  (Read 11100 times)

Offline Bagger

K&N air filter .... waste of $$'s ??
« on: May 26, 2011, 05:07:40 PM »
I'm planning a reFlash of my ECU on my 2010 C14.  While looking at some of the posts regarding this, I see that several folks have added K&N air filters to the mix (among other mods).

I've used K&N filters before on my Harleys years ago (carbureted bikes) mostly because they were easy to get at on HDs and some people said they helped 'breathing'.

But, the C14 is more difficult to get at the air filter, and more importantly ... I wonder if there is any advantage to having a $65 filter in the C14 rather than the oem filter (don't know what the cost of oem is)?

Am I just wasting my money hooking up a K&N with a slip on/mid pipe and a reFlash?

Thanx.
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: K&N air filter .... waste of $$'s ??
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 05:43:14 PM »
I have a K&N and I don't believe it is a waste of money, not due to the possible extra 1-2 hp but the convenience of being able to clean it instead of replacing a stock filter.  There are quite a few people that say the stock filter will do a better job at protecting the motor, but I have never had a problem with a K&N in the 7 or 8 vehicles that I have used them in.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline att2008vn

• C14 2010 ABS
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 06:02:34 PM »
+1

I dont know how it is in your places, i have to do the cleaning every 3-4,000 miles.

at

Offline Rockstar

• Don't call em bikers until you've seen them ride
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 06:31:37 PM »
I've always had good luck with K&N
GL1800 my 2 up ride ZG1000 my alone time ride
Ninja EX 500 stolen by my son ride
Honda CRF off road ride
Scooter go get the mail ride

Offline Bagger

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 07:11:43 PM »
I wonder what the advantage is with having a K&N vs an oem?  I mean, what is the point?  You change one out ever so often ... like 10k miles or so (haven't looked at the manual), and the other you spend time cleaning and 'recharging' the filter.

How does having a K&N give you some clear advantage over the oem?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 07:32:03 PM »
I wonder what the advantage is with having a K&N vs an oem?  I mean, what is the point?  You change one out ever so often ... like 10k miles or so (haven't looked at the manual), and the other you spend time cleaning and 'recharging' the filter.

Interested in comments on this myself...

:popcorn:

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 07:34:16 PM »

K&N's breathe better, last the life of the vehicle, are easy to clean and recharge. I've used for decades in bikes, cars and trucks. Good stuff. Why buy an OEM that once it gets dirty you throw it away and buy another one?

Offline Bagger

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 08:15:09 PM »
K&N's breathe better, last the life of the vehicle, are easy to clean and recharge. I've used for decades in bikes, cars and trucks. Good stuff. Why buy an OEM that once it gets dirty you throw it away and buy another one?

I'm sorry ... I don't know that 'breathing better' makes any difference.  And, who says it breathes better?  Does the factory filter bog down the motor? 

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but some folks use vitamins for years and swear by them as well (matter of fact, I do), but ... there doesn't seem to be any empirical evidence that this works.  Where's the evidence that K/N is better?

EZ to clean means that I have to clean it, as opposed to just having the shop pop in a new one (no cleaning) ... or, I have to clean the filter myself and 'recharge' it.  Does  this save time ... or money?  I don't know.

Plus, how often do you have to clean the K/N vs tossing in a new oem?  10K?  12?  I don't know. 

Offline JetJock

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 09:03:55 PM »
Race teams run them as one tiny example of the breathing ability. Both street and dirt.

And yes, you're just being argumentative.

You want OEM, then go buy OEM. I sure don't care. You ask for opinions and advice from people that have used K&N and then turn it into a debate. Sheesh.  :(

Offline katata1100

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 10:31:41 PM »
It is a fact that K&N filters let in a lot more dirt than paper. Run a K&N, send your oil out for an analysis and you'll see elevated levels of silicon dioxide (sand). Do you really want that in your bike? As for flow, yeah, you get more air in with cloth filter, you also get more air with not filter!
http://www.roadkill.com/~davet/moto/air.filters.html

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 12:16:01 AM »
I'm sorry ... I don't know that 'breathing better' makes any difference.  And, who says it breathes better?  Does the factory filter bog down the motor? 

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but some folks use vitamins for years and swear by them as well (matter of fact, I do), but ... there doesn't seem to be any empirical evidence that this works.  Where's the evidence that K/N is better?

EZ to clean means that I have to clean it, as opposed to just having the shop pop in a new one (no cleaning) ... or, I have to clean the filter myself and 'recharge' it.  Does  this save time ... or money?  I don't know.

Plus, how often do you have to clean the K/N vs tossing in a new oem?  10K?  12?  I don't know.
Could I suggest going to the K&N website? 

Hint:  The answer is "up to 50k miles, depending on conditions".
They also have a 1M mile warranty.

From your comments, you either have already made up your mind not to buy, or you have not researched the product thoroughly.  Since K&N isn't paying anybody here as far as I know, no loss to us if you keep using paper filters.  In my case, K&N's go in most of my vehicles at the first filter change.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 12:29:26 AM »
It is a fact that K&N filters let in a lot more dirt than paper. Run a K&N, send your oil out for an analysis and you'll see elevated levels of silicon dioxide (sand). ...
:popcorn:

[anectodal evidence]
I dunnow. Been running a K&N on my C-10 for 160k miles. Dirt roads in CO, during pollen season, locust swarms, ... Every couple of years I bang/scrape/brush the caked on dust and bugs off the filter, rotate it L to R and put it back in. I think I've actually cleaned and re-oiled it twice.
[/anecdotal evidence]

Is it worth the cost? You betcha, the filter lasts forever. A clean and re-oil @ 10k, 20k, whatever miles will set you back a couple of pennies (in 1994 dollars). And you get two uber snarky K&N decals in the package too!  ;)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 04:14:51 AM »
+1 on that.  I didn't buy it for 'performance'.  I bought it because I didn't want to keep buying a filter over and over again.  I have them on all of my vehicles.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JetJock

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 04:32:12 AM »
It is a fact that K&N filters let in a lot more dirt than paper. Run a K&N, send your oil out for an analysis and you'll see elevated levels of silicon dioxide (sand). Do you really want that in your bike? As for flow, yeah, you get more air in with cloth filter, you also get more air with not filter!

Oh BS. K&Ns are used by desert racing cars and bikes. K&Ns have been used in all forms of off-road racing for decades. I race, I know what to trust and what to avoid and I don't relay on some half-witted web site's "test"

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 06:00:03 AM »
Fords and Chevy's----all choices.  I think what the original poster is asking is: Correct me if I'm wrong, but what are the positives and negatives and who's using them.  I guess it's one thing to say I like them because it's a one time buy and I can regard it when it needs cleaned and recharged.  If your into that o.k. ( I have the system in my 05 Suburban).  If your not into tearing your bike apart to clean then stick with the OEM and have the shop do it on a "check-up / service".  Is there ANY independent dyno runs, oil analysis etc. to say they are superior?  Call me a cynic but I don't trust the manufactures website on this type of information!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 09:45:14 AM »
Ok, you're a cynic....

I don't see any drawbacks to using them except possibly the cleaning process which takes a little bit of time to accomplish.  With a paper element you still have to change it out so no difference in bike disassembly.  There is a chance of over oiling the element but I use the spray K&N oil and wipe of the excess and let it drain a bit in case I'm somewhat over exuberent.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 09:56:32 AM »
I have used K&N filters for years in various vehicles,  they are a well made product.

But compared to the OEM Kawi filter they DO let more particulate matter through and into your engine.  Will this harm the engine over time? I doubt it but then again I am not an engineer so I just don't know.

I personally am sticking with OEM just for that reason,  again there is nothing WRONG with the K&N I just want the extra piece of mind that the better filtering gives me more then I want that extra 1 -2 HP on a bike that already has more power then I will ever need/want

Just my 0.02

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 10:52:47 AM »
I am an engineer that worked in engine R&D for a short period of time early in my career and there are two schools of thought on engine performance vs. protection.  The first school of thought is to have a relatively free flowing air filter, and to rely heavily on oil filter performance.  Most Japanese engine manufacturers are of the opinion that the engine will last longer if you have a tighter air filter, but it is an good tradeoff to regain the marginal power loss with a more free flowing oil filter.

Personally, I don't like the idea of letting more particulates in to your engine than necessary, as they cause more wear on the valves and the cylinder walls that the oil filter cannot address.  I'm sure the engine will last ACCEPTABLY long if you use a K&N or other looser air filter, probably longer than most people will keep the bike anyway so I suppose you could justify it on economics, sort of like the old synthetic vs. mineral oil debate.  I myself will stick with the OEM air filter.

Offline gflint

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 12:59:26 PM »
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/air-filters.html
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/390973-air-filter-shootout-test-results.html

Google can find answers.  I have used K&N for years in cars and bikes.  After a little reading it appears that I was wasting my money on my cars and street bikes.  Power increase seems to be extremely minor with an increase in particulates.  Air flow seems to be more a function of air box design than filter material.  I used K&N in my dirt racing bikes because the paper plugged up, paper was not water resistant and the dirtier a K&N got, the better it filtered.  I would still use K&N for the dirt but for street it looks like paper is as good if not better.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 01:39:43 PM »
Oh BS. K&Ns are used by desert racing cars and bikes. K&Ns have been used in all forms of off-road racing for decades. I race, I know what to trust and what to avoid and I don't relay on some half-witted web site's "test"

You sound like the half wit, the study comparing airfilter was done  by the Desert research Institute, which is a part of the University of Reno, NV. 
Another study confirmed the same:
http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrolet-diesel-tech-articles/16611-duramax-air-filter-testing.html
In fact, I have yet to see any evidence that K&N doesn't pass much more dirt than oem. Posts here inherently concede that. It is like people are saying "Yeah, it passes more dirt but ....(fill in an anecodote here).
Also missing is data supporting the claim that K&N will give more power over stock. If it really does htat (via increased air flow) then please tell how the bike takes advantage of that? It doesn't have O2 sensor.
I have seen no before and after dyno runs with K&N vs oem, so if you are running K&N you are really saying that the benefits of reusing a filter outweigh the extra wear to the motor.