Author Topic: Wuss with a V Rod has challenged me...  (Read 17437 times)

Offline OregonLAN

Re: Wuss with a V Rod has challenged me...
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2012, 06:36:34 PM »
V twins, in the right configuration, have the ability to make some decent power, but it comes at very high revs, compared to the typical cruiser motor.  Ducati and KTM make some good power with their motors. My SV1000s makes ok power (103.5 whp), but not nearly as much as my connie.

Unfortunately, most HD motorcycles use a 45 degree twin which is a fairly inefficient design.

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2012, 07:43:28 PM »
I have a lot of modded Harley riding friends and as stated numerous times. Once you get above 6k rpm and keep banging the rev limiter through the gears, it's over.  Just don't get roped into an 1/8 mile run as a bad launch will not give you time to make it up.

Funny how all the Harley vs whatever Super sport bike race on Youtube is a Harley drag bike with wheelie bars against a stock bike.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2012, 07:51:55 PM »
Funny how all the Harley vs whatever Super sport bike race on Youtube is a Harley drag bike with wheelie bars against a stock bike.

Well, they have to pit themselves against something in a situation controlled enough to make themselves look good.  Only natural, I suppose.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2012, 08:08:51 PM »
I had a guy on a Hyabusa thingy challenge me @ CB Potts in Denver a couple of years ago. I said sure, but I get to pick the track. So I said Kansas City Raceway, tonight. He STFU

Large fuel tank has advantages.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 08:23:01 PM »
Harley Davidson ..........its what's for supper !

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2012, 10:21:41 PM »
I have a friend with a Harly Night Rod (blacked out V-Rod) and I rode it once just to see what the hype was about and honestly, I didnt feel there was anything there. I just didnt get that feeling of acceleration that comes with a flick of the wrist on my C14. Stats and numbers may say that the power is there, but to my seat of the pants dyno, there was no comparison.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2012, 10:25:31 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXsoAdh5P5g&playnext=1&list=PLE84ED16A6CDF3617&feature=results_video
Thanks for a useless video! Like ten more on youtube, an old bike that probably doesn't have 40 hp on a dyno, supposedly beats a late model sport bike. Yeah right. Video is the stage for the modern magician. Just like Copperfield making the Statue of Liberty disappear, people are easily misled.
2008 C-14

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2012, 01:26:33 AM »
I don't think it was useless. I think it puts things in perspective. It's no rocket science to figure out that a 150HP+ machine will outrun a 50 HP machine with the same weight and driver skills. But different engine configurations have different characters and offer advantages. Harleys do get off the line quick. They just don't get anywhere. If that's somebody's thing, then they should buy one and be happy.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2012, 02:02:27 AM »
Frat brother shows up late to the party and finds everyone passed out. he decides that a couple of beer bongs are in order.

"damn, those guys must have gotten Coors lite again cuz this beer tastes like ****"

:pukeface:
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2012, 04:07:19 AM »
Quote from: Conrad on Yesterday at 09:33:30 am

Frat brother shows up late to the party and finds everyone passed out. he decides that a couple of beer bongs are in order.

"damn, those guys must have gotten Coors lite again cuz this beer tastes like ****"

:pukeface:

-------------------------------------
wrong thread

Offline Conrad

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2012, 04:43:17 AM »
 :rotflmao:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2012, 06:57:42 AM »
This doesn't mean that it's good to ride though: how can you accelerate comfortably with your feet forward desperately grabbing the handlebar to resist the acceleration in a armchair sitting position???

I have foreward controls and drag bars on my mean streak.  Just like on any bike the back of seat is what holds you from sliding.

Yes the Connie is way faster, but the feel of acceleration is greater on the Mean Streak.  Pulls on your wrists and you know you are going.  the Connie is smooth and linear and you are hitting the rev limiter before you realize it.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline katata1100

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2012, 08:16:28 AM »

Yes the Connie is way faster, but the feel of acceleration is greater on the Mean Streak.  Pulls on your wrists and you know you are going.  the Connie is smooth and linear and you are hitting the rev limiter before you realize it.

People who don't know any better will think that their HD is fast because it is loud, shakes, and jumps off the line. These things fool them into thinking that they have a faster bike than they really do. It is like Space Mountain at Disneyland. Some think it is a fast ride but it only goes about 30 mph. Flashing lights and fans blowing at your head help give the illusion of speed.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2012, 08:23:08 AM »
People who don't know any better will think that their HD is fast because it is loud, shakes, and jumps off the line. These things fool them into thinking that they have a faster bike than they really do. It is like Space Mountain at Disneyland. Some think it is a fast ride but it only goes about 30 mph. Flashing lights and fans blowing at your head help give the illusion of speed.

Fast is such a relative term.  There will always be something faster than what you currently have.  I personally love the looks of a tricked out HD.  Work of art.  I also love the look of the classic line of Triumphs, and the SS bikes, but I know none of them would fit the type of riding I currently do.

Sometimes you choose form over function, comfort over speed and agility, etc.  Sometimes you choose performance at the sake of comfort and longevity.  I believe there is no wrong choice for the individual.  What is wrong is thinking your cruiser is going to win a race against a crotch rocket, or thinking that your crotch rocket is going to be able to ride the 4 corners in 14 days.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2012, 08:41:07 AM »

Haha, I wouldn't even consider space mountain a roller-coaster. It's closer to a carnival ride:
Space Mountain (Lights On) at Disney World's Magic Kingdom in Orlando, FL June 2006

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2012, 08:46:25 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXsoAdh5P5g&playnext=1&list=PLE84ED16A6CDF3617&feature=results_video

Interesting video. Good information if I ever find myself in a 100' race with an old school rat chopper. Now if your going to show a Harley kicking ass on some sport bike show something like this:

Harley vs sportbike drag race

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2012, 03:43:07 PM »
People who don't know any better will think that their HD is fast because it is loud, shakes, and jumps off the line. These things fool them into thinking that they have a faster bike than they really do.

Exactly.

Plus, the lower to the ground you are (like a cruiser), the faster you feel you are going.  Switch from a normal car to a tall truck and it feels like you are barely moving at all.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2012, 03:47:58 PM »
The Vrod Revolution engine is phenomenal, and it doesnt shake and burn oil like the tractor engines "think more like a Vmax V4"......and they will haul some arse. They are extremely durable and long lasting, Porsche knows how to build an engine. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2012, 04:39:16 PM »
The Revolution engine needs to be in HD's touring platform bikes.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2012, 04:51:54 PM »
The Revolution engine needs to be in HD's touring platform bikes.

I don't know. Harley sells millions of bikes precisely because they use traditional push rod single pin crank V twins. They are not for me but I'm thrilled people like them and still buy them. The shame is that they didn't do a better job with Buell and compete with modern motorcycle companies. I think it was the right approach to have a second brand but I think they restricted what Buell could do and not do too much. Eventually they will run out of old school MC buyers but for now keep selling those hogs.