Author Topic: A couple of carb questions  (Read 1692 times)

Offline redzgrider

A couple of carb questions
« on: September 24, 2012, 08:27:50 PM »
I've had problems with my carbs for a while now, and I want to get them resolved. I know I could just send them to SiSF, but that would be admitting defeat -- not in my nature.
I swapped my originals with a spare set when my jets -- start, pilot, and mains -- all became plugged with a crusty crystal growth. I think it was a byproduct of JB Weld and alcohol.
Mains and pilots are easy -- just use new -- but the start jets are a different story, since they are pressed into the bodies. Does anyone know what the diameter of the start jets are? With a combination of carb cleaner and a .008 wire, I can get them to open again, but I'd like to be closer to the actual size.
Second question, associated: there is what appears to be an air bleed on the same tower as the start jet -- is that indeed what it is?

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Re: A couple of carb questions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 06:25:24 AM »
49 state is .020" and there is a bleed on top of the tower, as you noted.

I understand not wanting to accept defeat. I'm the same way. But sometimes "winning" means doing the job so many times and learning all the nuances that unless you're going to do it professionally it ends up costing more time than you saved in money. and then there is the expense of the proper tools, and ultrasonic tanks aren't cheap either  :o . I have reduntant proceedures to be sure I don't miss anything, and the little stuff is what gets ya... Steve

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 07:56:03 PM »
Thanks Steve. It's not about money -- O.K., not entirely about the money. This is far from my first rodeo with these carbs, or even carbs in general. I will get them sorted, sooner than later.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 10:43:37 PM »
the best advise I can share is like I already posted, it's the little stuff that gets ya. Don't take anything for granted and you'll do fine. Good luck! steve

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 12:42:42 AM »
Hey redz,
  I have been working on bikes as a hobby (and professionally) for over 40 years, and I still sent my carbs to Steve to be sure they were right. Could I have done it myself ? Sure, but pulling Connie carbs is something you don't want to do more than needed. JMHO
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude