Author Topic: ProjeKt D LED mirror turn signals installation and review  (Read 37444 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
ProjeKt D LED mirror turn signals installation and review
« on: September 23, 2012, 07:28:49 AM »
This will be the thread whereby I order, install and review this kit from ProjeKt D.  Arrival is anywhere from 10-21 days via airmail.  Shipping was 8.95 with .89 for insurance.  They use Paypal and are located in Taiwan.  I'll update when I receive the units.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: ProjeKt D LED mirror turn signals installation and review
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 07:53:57 AM »
:)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 09:01:13 AM »
When did they come out with those? I like it! Besides being more visable, never forget to turn off the turn signal again with those big blinking lights in your periferal vision. I wonder if it diminishes your view out the mirror. IE: going to changes lanes, put on turn signal, look in the mirror and now you have a big blind spot (of course I always turn my head as well but just saying). So yes, can't wait to see the review.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 09:09:06 AM »
Update: I liked the looks of this product so I went ahead and ordered it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 10:41:33 AM »
Update: I liked the looks of this product so I went ahead and ordered it.

Update this thread, please, when you install and review...thanks.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 10:46:30 AM »
Anyone have any ideas about how the wiring gets routed?  I was looking at the mirror mount, and it doesn't look like it can route internally through the mount.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 10:50:39 AM »
I was thinking the same thing.  I guess we'll find out soon. 

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 10:52:05 AM »
Anyone have any ideas about how the wiring gets routed?  I was looking at the mirror mount, and it doesn't look like it can route internally through the mount.

Yeah, give me a few to get pics of how I routed wires for my mirror LEDs. There is a fairly neat way to do it
if you're not afraid to remove the painted cover.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 10:54:27 AM »
Was yours the same one?  And thanks in advance for getting those pics.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 11:59:47 AM »
Was yours the same one?  And thanks in advance for getting those pics.
No, it was more like Fred H.'s, stick on edge lit LEDs, except I have twice as many LEDs
as Fred. (Because my receiver's volume goes to eleven;D)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 12:45:42 PM »
Edit: I've changed this as it's not as good as I originally
thought it was. The instructions from ProjeKt D are much better so I've changed this accordingly.
Here are the ProjeKt D instructions courtesy of VirginiaJim

Start by prying off the front cover. Start at the front lower side and once it "pops", DO
NOT pry up any more. Try to pull the cover straight forward (as in the normal direction of travel of the bike). Continuing to pry up will break the upper rear tab tips.

Once the cover is off, you’ll want to remove the three Torx bolts on the bottom.
It is very easy (was for me anyway) to drop the mirror so have a good grip when you remove the last screw.

Once the mirror is off put the Torx bolt back in the hole opposite
of the locating pin, and put a screw driver long ways between them and rotate the swivel either way.
(sorry, no picture)
This will raise it up somewhat from the mirror and give you more room to drill or file
a hole or notch for the wire.

Route the wire over, under, or around the mirror and into the inside and then down
through the tube and through the hole.

Then run it between the plastic cover and
the metal mirror mount. Being careful not to squish the wire (tuck as you go)
run the wire
down throught the hole and fish it through the bottom of the mirror mount plastic cover, and remount the
mirror to the bike using the three Torx bolts. Leave enough slack inside the mirror so
there is no binding if the mirror is moved forward or rearward. Complete the hookup
to the signal wires and then test the signals and install the painted cover.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:27:42 PM by fartymarty »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 02:28:10 PM »
Are these used as turn signals?  Thanks for the pics.  It gives a better idea on how to route the wires.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 03:10:19 PM »
Are these used as turn signals?
Yes they are. 

Thanks for the pics.  It gives a better idea on how to route the wires.
You're welcome. Good luck, come back with pics of your own. :thumbs:

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 03:30:26 PM »
I had been thinking about putting in a timer for the turn signals but that did not seem to be an actual solution to forgetting to reset them. This may not turn them off but I can't picture driving down the road without noticing. Since I have several long trips planned next month I went ahead and ordered them. Still hope I will have the benifit of your installation  experience VirginiaJim before trying to install them.
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 03:49:06 PM »
Outstanding, gentlemen. It looks like we have a real horserace.  :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Who's going to hold the book on this?

Offline Xelvic

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 03:52:28 PM »
Looks good!! If they look as good as these pics I think I'll have to get some.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »
Yes they are. 

How did you splice them in to the bike wiring?  And were there any unintended consequences?

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »
It appears that they tap the existing turn signals inside the front inner panel and go on top of the existing mirror.  I like them. 

Muth makes mirrors like this for the Goldwing and I loved them.  You could not tell they had arrows in them unless you knew they were there.  I looked in the mirror and then over my shoulder, then activated the signals just before a lane change so I wasnt looking at the lights effecting my vision, especially at night.

Has anyone seen these? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005EZSMC4/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&tag=mywebsto02-20

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 05:29:05 PM »
Not much to look at based on the link.  Says they're unavailable.  So now all this stuff comes out of the woodwork after I order them.....? ::)   Oh well.  I still like the Projekt Ds...

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 05:36:22 PM »
The only thing they would add is better visibility due to the change in mirror location but I like the clean factory type the Projektd gives.   Kuryakyn makes some but they are chrome.   :o