Author Topic: Vacuum Petcock.  (Read 5416 times)

Offline Tele130

Vacuum Petcock.
« on: September 14, 2012, 07:57:39 PM »
Has been placed in "File 13" and one of Murph's new Manual ones have take over it's duties.  I should say "The Manual Petcock Conversion Kit" as shown here.
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=483

This is truly a work of art, it's  beautiful, well made, and great instruction............to bad you really can't see it!!!!! :o ;D  It even comes with a cool sticker (Place it were you will see it........ALL THE TIME!!!!!) reminding you to Check your fuel valve.

Thanks Gary.  I may never have to bug you for a Petcock again :rotflmao:

:thumbs:
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

enim57

Re: Vacuum Petcock.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 08:30:54 PM »
Yeah my vacuum one leaked twice (many years apart). I don't trust them although many have worked well for a long time. I made my own conversion. I don't forget  to turn it off as I learnt to ride with manual fuel taps.

Regards, Russell

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 09:53:48 PM »
I don't forget  to turn it off as I learnt to ride with manual fuel taps.

+1.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline emjayw

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 07:58:35 AM »
Fuel taps (petcocks) should be manual, not vacuum-operated.  It is this "dumbing-down" approach to motorcycling that puts riders on machines who don't have a clue about them.  (ie: sidestand safety switch)  These "fixes" are problems just waiting to happen.  Get rid of this DOT mandated garbage.  Mike in TX

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 01:25:30 PM »
Fuel taps (petcocks) should be manual, not vacuum-operated.  It is this "dumbing-down" approach to motorcycling that puts riders on machines who don't have a clue about them.  (ie: sidestand safety switch)  These "fixes" are problems just waiting to happen.  Get rid of this DOT mandated garbage.  Mike in TX
I totally disagree.  Auto petcock is the way to go and  a side stand switch is a very good safety feature.  I know more than most about motorcycles and cars since I happen to be a technician. If some one does not know how to maintain a switch or a petcock then find some who can. It is that simple. You don't need to know how to fix a bike to ride it.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 02:36:45 PM »
I totally disagree.  Auto petcock is the way to go and  a side stand switch is a very good safety feature.  I know more than most about motorcycles and cars since I happen to be a technician. If some one does not know how to maintain a switch or a petcock then find some who can. It is that simple. You don't need to know how to fix a bike to ride it.
+1.  I've been riding for 22 years and still, on a rare occasion, try to pull away with my sidestand down.  Usually because I had the bike on the centerstand, and the sidestand was down from my dismount.   
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Tele130

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 02:43:07 PM »

I agree Mike. But when you have two brand new ones go bad within an 18 month period it's one of these nagging issues that is always in the back of your head every time you ride. I'd rather have cofidance in the parts I install so I can enjoy my ride.  :thumbs:
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 03:12:07 PM »
Fuel taps (petcocks) should be manual, not vacuum-operated.  It is this "dumbing-down" approach to motorcycling . . .  (ie: sidestand safety switch)  These "fixes" are problems just waiting to happen.

I can see both sides of this, but I prefer my manual petcock, and my sidestand switch has been removed for years. I grew up on little trail bikes and got in the habit as a kid to turn the gas on and off. If you can remember to put the kickstand down before dismounting, you can remember to turn the gas off.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 07:40:06 PM »
My all time best side stand experience: Many moons ago -- mid-late 80's I believe -- I stopped by the local Ducati dealership just to have a good look around. I sat on the then new 900SS for moment -- complete torture rack, not meany for me (or any human form). I'm about to step off when salesman runs up with his hand held up in front of me, saying 'stop!'. I look at him in confusion, where upon he says to me 'You do realize the bike has an automatic retracting side stand?'. A what? Heck no, I don't realize such a stupid thing could even exist. Look down, and sure enough side stand retracted when I stood the bike up. Last bike in a line of 8 or 10. Would have been a very expensive lookie-loo visit.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 02:04:05 PM »
+1.  I've been riding for 22 years and still, on a rare occasion, try to pull away with my sidestand down.  Usually because I had the bike on the centerstand, and the sidestand was down from my dismount.

+2 on the vacuum petcock and sidestand  switch.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645