Author Topic: which box to use for adding more electronics??  (Read 15120 times)

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
Re: which box to use for adding more electronics??
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 06:52:19 PM »
There is really no difference, it is simply a color choice. In my younger days I worked for a car audio shop doing radio and alarm installs. The industry standard then was that yellow was constant and red was switched so I have always followed that practice.

Yup, when I was working as an installer we had Yellow for Constant and red for switched as well...

Unless you were installing a radio in a late 80's Ford... in which case red was GROUND!!  :o

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 06:11:11 AM »
Watching this thread with interest.  The tech that went over the bike with me when I bought it said the fasteners holding the battery door were soft so he recommended adding a fuse block if I was going to add any accessories so I didn't have to open the battery door everytime I wanted to add something.

Where do most of you place the fuse block?
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 06:43:04 AM »
Watching this thread with interest.  The tech that went over the bike with me when I bought it said the fasteners holding the battery door were soft so he recommended adding a fuse block if I was going to add any accessories so I didn't have to open the battery door everytime I wanted to add something.

Where do most of you place the fuse block?

Most of us mount it below the black side panel on the right in front, or under the seat, in place of tool kit, etc etc etc there are so many ways to mount it.....
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 12:11:44 PM »
IMHO, the Fuzeblock FZ1 is the absolute best aftermarket fuse box. There are some others that are very good as well, and less expensive. Take a look at http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Fuseboxes/PC-8/pc-8.html and http://www.centechwire.com/catalog/panels/ap2.shtml. The only downside to the Fuzeblock brand is the price. They have a great product, but they know it and charge a premium for it. And that wiring kit they offer for $34 ..... they may have $10 in materials in that kit so they are making a HUGE profit off that stuff.

+1, Fuzeblock is what I used.  :-)
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Flathead

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 03:35:57 PM »
There is really no difference, it is simply a color choice. In my younger days I worked for a car audio shop doing radio and alarm installs. The industry standard then was that yellow was constant and red was switched so I have always followed that practice.

+1 Many years in the automotive electronics industry, yellow is hot red is not  ;)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 06:07:43 PM »
Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse panel.........
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 10:44:35 AM »
+1 Many years in the automotive electronics industry, yellow is hot red is not  ;)

I used yellow for the hot lead from the battery to the relay because that is what I happened to have on hand in a heavy gauge. I would have used red and was planning to replace. But if yellow is the industry standard I guess I'll just leave it.

Offline Spanky

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 05:15:10 PM »
Most decent fuse blocks will handle ~ 20a per circuit, so it shouldn't be a problem if you wanted to. I agree though, it's not necessary for heated gear alone. A 10a - 15a inline fuse is all you really need.

In ZG's case, he has so many gadgets and accessories that it would behoove him to have a switched fuse block for some of it...

Fuzeblock's website states that they are only 10 amp circuits max. Has anyone used a 15A fuse for heated gear with no problems? I did not get a fuzeblock because in the winter I may use the jacket, pants, gloves, and boot soles - so I imagine I am pulling close to 15 amps with that setup. Just curious if it is ok to run a 15 a circuit with this or not.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 07:00:08 PM »
Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse panel.........

My choice if I decide to add any additional components.

Offline MikeH

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 05:44:44 AM »
i use a Fuzeblock, I drilled a hole in the glove box and mounted it in there.
The 10 amp limit is each circuit but the entire box can handle up to 30 amps, so in that case don't run every piece of heated gear through the same circuit.
I have my heated jacket and clearwater lights running through it (along with a bunch of small drawing things) with no problems.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 11:34:42 AM »
Man wow this is  lot of chatter over a fuzeblock  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 01:28:47 PM »
Man wow this is  lot of chatter over a fuzeblock  :D

Sure is, but that's how bikes have changed over the years. It used to be all about carburetors
and spark plugs, and making sure little swivel plates had the "X" between two lines at top dead center.
My first bikes had no electrical relays and this one comes from the factory with 13 (unless I miscounted).
Mine now has 12 additional ones (unless I miscounted) for a total of 25 relays. Yep, these days it's mostly
about electricity and the fuseblocks/Fuzeblocks have really gained importance for all the additional farkles.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 08:34:12 AM »
If you want the latest and greatest technology, and don't want to worry about fuses, the PDM60 is the way to go.....

http://www.rocketmoto.com/index.php/rowe-electronics-pdm60-power-distribution-module-digital-circuit-breaker-panel.html

Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline danl

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 10:03:34 AM »
I just put a Fuzeblock on my wife's VStar 1300. Yes, on the expensive side, but it's a nice small compact unit and easy to work with. I have a light bar, LED lamps, stereo and 12v outlet connected to it. I did her heated gear direct to the battery.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 10:06:05 AM »
If you want the latest and greatest technology, and don't want to worry about fuses, the PDM60 is the way to go.....

http://www.rocketmoto.com/index.php/rowe-electronics-pdm60-power-distribution-module-digital-circuit-breaker-panel.html

Nice but.....

GEEZ I thought the FUZEBLOCK was pricey.  This product only has 3 total 15 amp and "3" 5 amp circuits for $148       

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 10:26:03 AM »
Fuzeblock works for me.   ;D
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 10:48:04 AM »
I ordered up the Fuzeblock one yesterday from Cyclenutz.

Thanks for all the help on this one guys!  :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 09:40:54 PM »
I ordered up the Fuzeblock one yesterday from Cyclenutz.

Thanks for all the help on this one guys!  :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Should've gone with the Beaver......just sayin. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2012, 10:56:41 PM »

Should've gone with the Beaver......just sayin. ;)

Yep, I got some of that too Brian...  ;)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 04:02:17 AM »

Yep, I got some of that too Brian...  ;)
mailorder?