Author Topic: HELP please - I may have screwed up my timing.  (Read 2503 times)

Offline CARider49

HELP please - I may have screwed up my timing.
« on: September 01, 2012, 04:37:02 PM »
I have had the mistress for 2000 miles now so I thought (my first mistake) it was time to adjust the valves, change the plugs, new oil and filter, new air filter etc. I figure I have done valves etc before so would be a piece of cake, and it was or so I thought (my second mistake). When I got it together and fired it up to check my work and adjust my spiffy new cam tension device (thanks Mark) the racket it made was unholy. Much cursing followed and when that was complete I opened it back up and found what follows in the pics. Did she jump time? How badly screwed am I (hoping and crossing fingers and praying I am not)? If she did jump time am I going to be able to fix it without tearing the motor down completely.   

Update - figured out what the clatter was - would help if I learned to read the damn the manual and compare it correctly with the shiney new set of feeler gauges I got.

Still need to know if it jumped time though.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 05:19:54 PM by CARider49 »
'03 C10 - "Mistress Ginger"

Offline redzgrider

Re: HELP please - I may have screwed up my timing.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 07:25:19 PM »
Somebody with more knowledge than me may have a different answer, but to me it looks very bad.
I just adjusted my valves today, and just like the book showes, with the 't' mark to the TDC point the cam markings line up with the intake/exhaust lines pointing either directly in or directly out. Even with the SiSF cam gear the markings are very close to where they should be.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 08:17:53 PM »
The cams are proper to each other. the pic of the crank is poor and from a bad angle but it looks like the cam is advanced. I don't want to say til there's a better pic. Steve

Offline CARider49

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 08:30:27 PM »
Steve, there are 2 sets of dots on the crank - 1 having 4 dots and 1 having a single dot. The single dot is almost perfectly aligned.

Offline JDM

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 08:32:45 PM »
I have had the mistress for 2000 miles now so I thought (my first mistake) it was time to adjust the valves, change the plugs, new oil and filter, new air filter etc. I figure I have done valves etc before so would be a piece of cake, and it was or so I thought (my second mistake). When I got it together and fired it up to check my work and adjust my spiffy new cam tension device (thanks Mark) the racket it made was unholy. Much cursing followed and when that was complete I opened it back up and found what follows in the pics. Did she jump time? How badly screwed am I (hoping and crossing fingers and praying I am not)? If she did jump time am I going to be able to fix it without tearing the motor down completely.   

Update - figured out what the clatter was - would help if I learned to read the damn the manual and compare it correctly with the shiney new set of feeler gauges I got.

Still need to know if it jumped time though.

Steve in Sunny Fla, is the man that can get you through this.  You are lucky, he is the best. 
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 05:25:30 AM »
Steve, there are 2 sets of dots on the crank - 1 having 4 dots and 1 having a single dot. The single dot is almost perfectly aligned.

that's not a stock timing plate, I don't know who made it or anything about it. That said, if the marks on it are relative to the marks on a stock plate, IE the 4 dots = the "f" position and the one dot = the 'T" position, then your timing is spot-on. HTH, steve

Offline CARider49

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 10:10:59 PM »
Steve,
At the risk of sounding mushy - thank you thank you thank you. I was awake part of the night calling myself names I would not call anybody else thinking I had royally pooched my baby. Started her up this AM before work and all sounded right as rain. Tomorrow is button up the plastics and ride like hell day.  ;D