Author Topic: Corbin Slim Door  (Read 13952 times)

Offline MrPepsi

Corbin Slim Door
« on: August 29, 2012, 10:04:24 AM »
So on another forum, someoene mentioned the size of a trunk, and of course I thought, that's nothin, check out... Holy what? What the heck is this color C-14 on Corbin's site, and what is a "Slim Door?"

Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

Re: Corbin Slim Door
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 10:18:44 AM »
I don't know what the deal is with that color Brent but those slim line bags I have seen before. One of the companies making stuff for LEO use had these. I don't remember which one though.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 10:20:41 AM »
I don't know what the deal is with that color Brent but those slim line bags I have seen before. One of the companies making stuff for LEO use had these. I don't remember which one though.

Corbin claims these are made by Corbin. Nearly $400 for the set.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 10:32:56 AM »
I like that color.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 10:41:10 AM »
Interesting, I've never seen those slim doors before...  ???

My guess would be that with those on you could no longer put a helment in em, so I don't really see the point.  :-\

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 10:45:33 AM »
Obviously you don't live in California.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 10:50:52 AM »
Obviously you don't live in California.

Thankfully no...  ;D ;)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 11:11:03 AM »
So, let me see if I have this right. You pay $400 to make the side bags smaller. Then you pay $800 to add the space back by buying a Smuggler trunk?  :o

I admit that the smaller side bags would probably be great for weekend trips to the Hill Country to ride the twisties, but I just pull the side bags and throw a tail pack on the rear seat/rack area.

edit: I just read the website. You lose your stock doors because the $400 is the cost to cut yours down. You lose 8 liters per side case. And you gain 3" per side in additional clearance so that you can lane split in California. Wow, what a deal.  ???
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 11:23:05 AM »
edit: I just read the website. You lose your stock doors because the $400 is the cost to cut yours down.

Ok, that's idiotic. No cutting my doors. For that price they need to fabricate them.
But we don't know Corbin to be cheap.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Sinstr

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 11:39:42 AM »
Agree, why cut down a perfectly good bag.  Take the bags off if you want to make the bike slimmer and save them for long distance touring.
Sinstr

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 06:53:52 AM »

Thankfully no...  ;D ;)
Thankfully 1 less person to worry about moving here!!   ;D

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 07:59:29 AM »
There's a UK site that fabricates for police bikes and they have the same thing with the side cases...  I'll try to find it again.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 09:19:24 AM »
Other than aesthetics, I see no purpose for these bags. The riders in Socal seem to manage OK with full sized bags. During my week stay, I've saw a handful of C14s, FJRs and BMWs splitting lanes in traffic with bags on.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 03:18:54 PM »
If I lived in CA, they'd be great for lane splitting. Now, I left the state about 20 years ago, but I still visit often and when I lived there, did a lot of lane splitting (commuted on bikes for five years).
Let me say that lane splitting is no piece of cake! it might look easy to all of you from back east but you have to be on your toes and it can get pretty damn tedious too. People sometime get pissed and I have had a couple of cars try to "cut me off" by moving toward the far side of the lane (one car tried to run me into the curb in Watts!). In addition, in an effort to increase capacity, they have real narrow lanes on some of the freeways. Check out the 110 going through LA any time of day and you'll see what a pain that freeway is. When I lane split on my bike, my commute took just under an hour, where as it might take an hour and a half in the car.
While you might have seen a FJR or C14 split, one rule is the wider the bike, the harder it is to split. I had no problems on my old Madura 1200  (narrow bike) or even my katana 1100, but the C14? When i go down to LA next month, I doubt that I'll lane split.
Next time you say CA sucks and you are glad you are in whatever city you live in, think that when you are on your bike in massive traffic; think how nice it would be if you were allowed to lane split.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 07:30:29 PM »
Thankfully 1 less person to worry about moving here!!   ;D

Make that two.   There are MANY more of us.

;)

And lane splitting is nuts.  Why should you not have to wait like the others?

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 08:23:48 PM »
Personally, I would never ride in Socal traffic to begin with. There's nothing safe about ridding a motorcycle down there. Drivers down there are total a-holes and the highway conditions resemble that of a 3rd world country. Every time I get back from Socal, I'm grateful for the nice/smooth roads we have here in Portland.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 09:29:35 PM »

edit: I just read the website. You lose your stock doors because the $400 is the cost to cut yours down. You lose 8 liters per side case. And you gain 3" per side in additional clearance so that you can lane split in California. Wow, what a deal.  ???

Actually, they only use the locking ring and they fabricate new doors. I was wondering about that because the doors are tapered and can not be used. That's why it's $400.00.

From the website:

Remove and ship us your stock doors.
    Corbin trims the doors down to a hinge/lock ring.
    New doors are vacuum formed from durable ABS.
    Doors are trimmed and fitted to stock "ring".
    Assembly is painted to match and returned to you.

Offline jetman

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 10:24:54 PM »

And lane splitting is nuts.  Why should you not have to wait like the others?
[/quote]
Ladies and Gentlemen:  first off, the correct term is "lane sharing". I've got just under thirty thousand miles on my '11, purchased in July of last year. I commute and tour; in July I rode to Montreal and back in three weeks. When I'm riding out of state and get stuck in traffic, I miss lane sharing, 'cause it gets hot sitting still in full gear real quick.
And so in southern California, we are permitted to keep moving to prevent heat-related distress to ourselves. Why should we have to wait like the others? They have A/C, DVD, smart phone, beverage bar, etc.
The CHP does suggest the sharing be done between lanes one and two, and no more than five miles per hour above whatever the cagers are doing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 10:53:35 PM »
I commute and tour; in July I rode to Montreal and back in three weeks. When I'm riding out of state and get stuck in traffic, I miss lane sharing, 'cause it gets hot sitting still in full gear real quick.
And so in southern California, we are permitted to keep moving to prevent heat-related distress to ourselves. Why should we have to wait like the others? They have A/C, DVD, smart phone, beverage bar, etc.
The CHP does suggest the sharing be done between lanes one and two, and no more than five miles per hour above whatever the cagers are doing.

I can say that once, I was so desperate due to stopped traffic on the Interstate, I was seriously contemplating riding on the shoulder so I could get to ANY exit.  It was in direct sun in the mid 90's and after 20+ minutes of barely crawling/stop/crawl/stop, I was starting to feel signs of heat stroke.  Thankfully, traffic finally started moving moments later.  But it made me wonder what "they" would have us do in such a situation where lane splitting/sharing/filtering is illegal, and yet so is riding on the shoulders?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 02:14:41 PM »
Actually, they only use the locking ring and they fabricate new doors. I was wondering about that because the doors are tapered and can not be used. That's why it's $400.00.

From the website:

Remove and ship us your stock doors.
    Corbin trims the doors down to a hinge/lock ring.
    New doors are vacuum formed from durable ABS.
    Doors are trimmed and fitted to stock "ring".
    Assembly is painted to match and returned to you.

The point being that you still lose your original doors.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold