Author Topic: Good/bad fuse  (Read 1428 times)

Offline nevadazx12

Good/bad fuse
« on: August 18, 2012, 08:02:41 PM »
Here we are again with an electrical problem.  I was riding my bike home the other day and I noticed my running lights were not working.   I figure this shouldn't be a big problem, HA!  First thing, when I tried to pull the connector apart from the wiring harness from the relay the pins pulled off the ends of the wires, lousy crimps I muttered.  Soldered them and put it together, no lights.  Messed with the connectors and changed  to a different style, again, no lights.  Removed the entire light bar and lights and placed on bench, hooked up 12v, lights.  Went to the end of the harness from the relay and 12v.  Hooked them together and NO LIGHTS!  >:( Scratching my head I installed a mating plug on the harness, like the one on the light bar with a couple of pig tails hanging out.  Hooked up a meter and turned on light switch, 12v on meter,  now I ran jumper wires from the ends of the meter leads to the tips of the connectors going to light bar, voltage dropped to zero.   OK I have a current problem.  Pulled the tank to check harness from relay, opened the fuse holder and looked at fuse.  Looked good, not blown, it was read 12 v through the fuse.  It was a 15amp fuse on a approximate 10 amp draw, should have been OK.  Looked for a new fuse, didn't have one, but I had a 20 amp one.  put it in the circuit, ran the jumpers again and LIGHTS.  :) Fuse that looked good, had continuity, was still bad.  Took it apart, the connection on the inside of the end cap was broken and just touching the cap enough to give you a voltage reading, but not good enough to pass 10amps of current.
1986 Connie
1974 BMW 90/6
1964 Triumph T100SC

Offline JDM

Re: Good/bad fuse
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:53:57 AM »
Good work, my hat is off to you. JD
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline timmerz

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 09:28:12 PM »
No kidding!! That would have had me pulling my mustach and beard hairs out! And then I would have had to call my bud the mechanic!

Offline Ron Moss

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 07:38:28 PM »
Good job, I have had the same thing happen years ago on a 750 Honda. Only problems I had with that bike was electrical.