Author Topic: Absurd Ill-inois Just keeps getting better  (Read 7441 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Absurd Ill-inois Just keeps getting better
« on: August 16, 2012, 07:08:35 AM »
Sorry if I'm  :deadhorse: here. This State is always here to be laughed at. Did I mention I live here? Don't ask me why. Here is the newest:

www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/sns-ap-il--mini-horses-20120814,0,4810616.story
chicagotribune.com
New Illinois law allows mini horses as service animals for disabled people

By Associated Press

4:01 PM CDT, August 14, 2012
Advertisement

CHICAGO (AP) — Miniature horses that have been trained to help disabled people will be allowed in Illinois schools and other public places under a new state law.

Gov. Pat Quinn signed a bill Tuesday designating miniature horses as a type of service animal, like seeing-eye dogs, that can accompany people with disabilities. That includes helping people who may have a hearing impairment, seizures or an intellectual disability.

The law takes effect immediately.

Federal officials say miniature horses can be as short as 24 inches tall and weigh 70 to 100 pounds. They're already considered service animals by federal regulations under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Advocates say the horses are a good alternative to dogs. For example, they could benefit people with severe allergies.

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: Absurd Ill-inois Just keeps getting better
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 07:47:04 AM »
So whats the problem? You dont like horses?
At least they wont talk very much; after all they are a little horse  ::)
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 07:49:26 AM »
Yes, I've found them very tasty.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 08:02:41 AM »
I'm fine with people having mini horses for service animals or pets or whatever. Why do we even need a law for this? But I'm curious, how does a horse "benefit people with severe allergies"?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 08:12:43 AM »
You're alright with a horse sitting next to you on an airplane or in a restaurant? I understand they're better than a lot of people but where does it stop? A service snake? goat? sheep?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 08:26:44 AM »
You're alright with a horse sitting next to you on an airplane or in a restaurant? I understand they're better than a lot of people but where does it stop? A service snake? goat? sheep?

LOL  :rotflmao: I didn't think of it that way. So this law forces airlines, movie theaters etc to accept horses? I fly 50,000 miles plus a year. I would definitely have a problem with a horse next to me. Wouldn't be too keen with someones dog next to me on a 12 hour flight either.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 08:45:32 AM »
What's that you say sonny boy? I'm a bit hard of hearing, tell it to my horse. He knows sign language and will relay it to me.

"Gov. Pat Quinn signed a bill Tuesday designating miniature horses as a type of service animal, like seeing-eye dogs, that can accompany people with disabilities. That includes helping people who may have a hearing impairment, seizures or an intellectual disability."

I think that Quinn and his cabinet need to get them some minis ASAP!!!!

After I moved out of the house when I was a teen, my mom got her a mini horse. The damn horse used to ride around in the back seat of her car. My mom was a bit eccentric. Bless her heart.    :'(
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:22:18 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 09:06:16 AM »

After I moved out of the house when I was a teen, my mom got her a mini horse. The damn horse used to ride around in the back seat of her car. My mom was a bit eccentric. Bless her heart.    :'(
True story?
I miss my folks too.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 09:29:01 AM »
True story?
I miss my folks too.

Yep, it's true.

She had a pygmy goat too that used to head butt her chickens to death. My brother used to be a trouble maker back in the day and the cops came to the house looking for him one day. The LEO was sitting in his car talking to my mom and the goat jumped onto the trunk of his car and walked over along the top edge of the door sill. The cop was resting his arm along the sill and the goat bit him.  :rotflmao:

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 12:58:29 PM »
I'm fine with people having mini horses for service animals or pets or whatever. Why do we even need a law for this? But I'm curious, how does a horse "benefit people with severe allergies"?
Someone who is allergic to dogs yet still needs a service animal. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »
Obvious question, at least to me...Can a horse be housebroke???
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 01:54:36 PM »
That's the first thing I thought as well...  I guess you can always fasten a horse diaper to it, but don't horses fart a lot?  If so, that would be great.  That's not me, it's my horse.  :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »
Hello, Wilbur...
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 02:23:29 PM »
That's the first thing I thought as well...  I guess you can always fasten a horse diaper to it, but don't horses fart a lot?  If so, that would be great.  That's not me, it's my horse.  :rotflmao:

It depends...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 02:25:37 PM »

Maybe a highly flatulent person could get a service horse for that very thing Jim?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 02:33:32 PM »
 :rotflmao:   Good idea.  I've been blaming it on the grandchildren, but now they're getting older....not so much.

horse fart(nice big one)

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:   but relevant to the topic at hand.  A horse is involved, although slightly larger than what we're discussing but it's the same principle.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 02:49:42 PM »
The service life of a service dog is 8-10 years generally.  The service life of a miniature horse is about 40 years.  They're just as smart as dogs and can be trained to do pretty much everything the dog can do.  And they can be house trained as well. 

While I agree that Illinois is RIDICULOUS, in this case, they're not...  well, going out of one's way to define service animals is probably just so people do NOT try to say "my rat is a service animal"... 

In my experience, the more ways you try to pin a law down, the more loop holes you create.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »
National insanity!

From Dept of Justice ADA website:

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Miniature Horses

In addition to the provisions about service dogs, the Department’s revised ADA regulations have a new, separate provision about miniature horses that have been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. (Miniature horses generally range in height from 24 inches to 34 inches measured to the shoulders and generally weigh between 70 and 100 pounds.) Entities covered by the ADA must modify their policies to permit miniature horses where reasonable. The regulations set out four assessment factors to assist entities in determining whether miniature horses can be accommodated in their facility. The assessment factors are (1) whether the miniature horse is housebroken; (2) whether the miniature horse is under the owner’s control; (3) whether the facility can accommodate the miniature horse’s type, size, and weight; and (4) whether the miniature horse’s presence will not compromise legitimate safety requirements necessary for safe operation of the facility.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 10:14:36 AM »
Dang those lil fellers are cute!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/15/illinois-mini-horse-servi_n_1784249.html?utm_hp_ref=chicago

I wonder if they can be trained to fetch the TV remote and get me a beer?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 03:29:44 PM »
Although the miniature horses are probably far less effective for protection than dogs would be.

"Sick 'em, Trigger!"   :rotflmao:
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157