Author Topic: Handlebar mods for more upright sitting position?  (Read 7439 times)

Offline julianop

Handlebar mods for more upright sitting position?
« on: August 14, 2012, 07:26:38 PM »
Is there an after market handlebar mod that will bring the handlebars closer to the seat? I have handlebar risers, but I could use something a little more.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

enim57

Re: Handlebar mods for more upright sitting position?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 07:45:56 PM »
I machined my bars so they pivot backwards and it is an extremely comfortable upper body/wrist posion. Half a hole was enough.

Regards, Russell

Offline julianop

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 08:20:01 PM »
How to you clamp them tight enough to not slip back again? Do the bolt heads in the counter-bores prevent that?
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

enim57

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 12:31:59 AM »
They've never slipped and there's no reason why they should, remember, conventional bars are clamped with only 4 bolts. Also they clamp to the forks just like slip ons (but I don't know if your risers work like this). And yes, if the bolts came loose the machining would prevent them rotating forward as the extra holes are bored/drilled and not slotted extensions of the originals.

Regards, Russell

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 03:48:27 AM »
I have a Stortz brand handlebar adapter on my bike. Looks like it would accept any 7/8ths round bar. If you could find a kit like that the bar choices are practically unlimted.

Offline KL/Everett

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 11:57:51 AM »
Just did my conversion last month, and I went the 'cost-effective' route. I spent less than $150 in materials, and about 5 hours for re-routing the cables (I'm too cheap to replace my cables that I just changed last year).  If it suits your taste as well, you may find some more information in the other site. (http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,35776.0.html).
I am 5-6, now sit on my Connie more up straight like r-1150 rt.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 12:42:10 PM »
I just helped Simba do a Storz and 7/8" bars conversion last Saturday.  With Storz or other adaptors, your options are only as limited as the 7/8" bars available.  I've also done mine the same way, although with different bars.

You will likely need a longer front brake line but everything else can usually be made to fit the added length with some re-routing.

Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline deanc

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 03:10:36 PM »
Stasch, what kind of handlebars are those on the Storz adaptor?
Do you know how much pullback (inches) on them?
They almost look like mini apes...

Offline julianop

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 03:47:10 PM »
Just did my conversion last month, and I went the 'cost-effective' route. I spent less than $150 in materials, and about 5 hours for re-routing the cables (I'm too cheap to replace my cables that I just changed last year).  If it suits your taste as well, you may find some more information in the other site. (http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,35776.0.html).

Yup, I'm likin' that..

I am 5-6, now sit on my Connie more up straight like r-1150 rt.

Talkin' my language ;-)

I'm 5-9. I have the lean to get to my bars, but my arms are almost dead straight to do it, and after 360 miles and 6 hours my shoulders are complaining.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 07:36:38 PM »
Stasch, what kind of handlebars are those on the Storz adaptor?
Do you know how much pullback (inches) on them?
They almost look like mini apes...

We measured them before he left.

Width:  25"
Rise:  8"  (+2 more that the Storz bars lifts hte entire set)
Pullback:  9.5" plus another inch or so that the storz moves the set back)

You can PM Simba at cog-online.org - he brought them and may have more info yet on what they are and where he got them.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 09:43:15 PM »
Here's a fun option for ya, although it doesn't look comfortable to me...

2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline julianop

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 10:24:04 PM »
Hmmm, what do you call that? A Harley Kwackerson?

It needs highway pegs to complete the style, and to lose the silly ducts which, unless you're bow-legged, would make them unusable.

I took the pegs off mine when I put new lower fairings on my '06 three weeks ago. They looked ugly, I had to bend my legs around the ducts to get even the balls of my feet on the very ends of the pegs, and I had to hold my legs together so my feet wouldn't fall off: pointless, in other words. Moreover, I also couldn't bring myself to risk cracking $250 worth of brand new Tupperware, squeaking the pegs through the ducts. They saved the plastic for me on a couple of zero-speed spills, back when I was practicing for my test and unknowingly had only three cylinders firing, but I don't use them, despite my weekly slab-ride.

I suppose that segues into a question: is there a decent highway peg product out there that works for a guy with a 32" inseam?

Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 07:30:23 AM »
Hmmm, what do you call that? A Harley Kwackerson?

It needs highway pegs to complete the style, and to lose the silly ducts which, unless you're bow-legged, would make them unusable.

I took the pegs off mine when I put new lower fairings on my '06 three weeks ago. They looked ugly, I had to bend my legs around the ducts to get even the balls of my feet on the very ends of the pegs, and I had to hold my legs together so my feet wouldn't fall off: pointless, in other words. Moreover, I also couldn't bring myself to risk cracking $250 worth of brand new Tupperware, squeaking the pegs through the ducts. They saved the plastic for me on a couple of zero-speed spills, back when I was practicing for my test and unknowingly had only three cylinders firing, but I don't use them, despite my weekly slab-ride.

I suppose that segues into a question: is there a decent highway peg product out there that works for a guy with a 32" inseam?
yes, but you have to drill a hole in the fairing.

2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 07:51:44 AM »

Please tell me that's a Photoshop. I'd walk before I'd ride that thing.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline julianop

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 08:53:40 AM »

Looks interesting, Snarf... Can you comfortably put your feet on them without interference from the ducts? Where do I get those?

Second, I see that sexy little grey-tinted transparent fairing extender; tell me about them, would ya?
Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline julianop

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 08:55:50 AM »

Agreed. totally disrespectful: like putting reindeer antlers on a dog.

Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 10:26:24 AM »
That was some fun we had with a member before the great forum crash.  The only thing photoshoped is the handlebars and the front forks.  He grafted the nose off of another bike (cant remember what right now).  It is a dual headlight assembly, it looked damn good from the front.
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 10:40:36 AM »

Looks interesting, Snarf... Can you comfortably put your feet on them without interference from the ducts? Where do I get those?

Second, I see that sexy little grey-tinted transparent fairing extender; tell me about them, would ya?

I dont have any issues with the lower scoops. But then I dont have any issues hitting the scoops with my set that comes out of the duct opening on my other bike. 
Those little pieces of tinted plastic are my poor mans fairing extenders for colder weather.  I can look around for the template if you would like a copy.
As far as the hwy-pegs are concerned; I make them.  I have two versions; that on is the VC model (vertically challenged lol).
That was my prototype, the new version has much longer pegs and no blocked/square edges.
2002 Conc

Offline julianop

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 10:50:58 AM »
Those little pieces of tinted plastic are my poor mans fairing extenders for colder weather.  I can look around for the template if you would like a copy.

Yes, please do.

As far as the hwy-pegs are concerned; I make them.  I have two versions; that on is the VC model (vertically challenged lol).
That was my prototype, the new version has much longer pegs and no blocked/square edges.

Love to hear about those too: PM ?
Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 11:02:39 AM »
julianop, I dont want to hy-jack this thread, I sent ya PM
2002 Conc